Samsung 50" Watermark-Dirt Marks on Screen?

Username: Sterling

So. Orange County, CA

Post Number: 1
I originally purchased the HL-P5063 end of July '04. Since new it's had these "vertical watermark/dirt marks running vertically on the left and right side of the screen??? Samsung sent a "clueless" local TV repairman out (no tools other than a power screwdriver) who knew less than I when it came to disassembling the box. After I showed him the side ports on the cabinet for screen and mirror access, he looked in vain for an obvious cause. He left writting it up as "cleaning", only because the marks disappeared over the hour he was there. (turns out it's possibly a "heatup" malfunction). Over a one month period Samsung never returned my complaint calls for a Samsung Corp. Tech to call me back. I finally called Good Guys. (I bought the 5yr ext. guar.) Bottom line....the Good Guys tech came out with signal generator, etc. He knew the DLP issues. Seems that when he came the first time, the set had warmed up and wasn't showing those brownish vertical strips of dirt? He came the following Monday early AM and guess what....when cold the marks were clearly there. He said that since his last visit he had another client with the same issue! I asked him to let the manager of the store know that I wanted to get rid of the set and upgrade to a 61". Guess what......that evening I returned to the store, paid the extra couple hundred and got a new HL-P6163WX, being delivered today, 11-26. (The manager waived the one month return exchange) CAN ANYONE RELATE TO THIS EXPERIENCE? I never did find out what caused the watermarks on the screen.

Lee Brown
Unregistered guest
Al,

I recently bought the same set and love the picture but noticed the blotches. I do think it is a warm-up issue related to the screen itself. If I put my hand on the screen for a couple of seconds over the blotch it goes away! I don't think I will return it for this but it seem like a subtle design flaw.

Unregistered guest
I purchased an HL-P5063W and have noticed the exact same thing. It's two brown blotches running vertically down each side of the screen. I had not figured out that it was a warmup issue so thanks to you people at least I know what is going on.

klaus
Unregistered guest
I have a new hlp4674w and saw the same thing, most evident in the morning when light is just so and watching SD. They grew worse over the course of a week. I very gently used a damp paper towel and wiped the screen and then dried it with another. Voila! No more blotches. I surmise that the new fine pitch screen may trap small dust particles electrostatically and the damp towel kills the attraction and takes away the dirt. Be careful not to rub too hard so as to marr the screen and dry carefully so there are no streaks.

jzach
Unregistered guest
Same problem since outset with the 50" .. rubbing one's hand (actually a dish towel)over the spot discharges the static electricity. It seems to occur more often now, during the winter with the heat on and low humidity.

Otherwise all problems fixed. No significant sync issue (or I switch to Dish 811 optical output to home theatre), Dish satelite through DVI, and bulb replaced with Phillips.

I did added a little blue in the weakness feature to mellow out the reddishness.

So. Orange County, CA

Post Number: 5
It's official...Blotches are delaminations

Samsung has a "delamination issue" with the front screen on its DLP sets. Minimum, it appears on "P" series 50 and 61 inch. sets.

I am pursuing this issue with Samsung now. They have a national issue on their hands. For myself, I will demand satisfaction for all of the wasted time they and their "non responsive" customer service department played dumb.

Heat, or "warm up time" is probably allowing the adhesive layer to "flow" between the front screen layers; thus temporarily fusing the screen together into on optical layer.....ergo...no blotches.

Don't feel alone anymore!

Jzach
Unregistered guest
Why is it we always try to find the most sinister reasons for things such as "delamination". No where in these posts is it explained why it is "delamination". Having had the set for almost 6 months, I had the problem on day one when the set was delivered in 90 degree weather and again last week. I suspect most people don't even notice it since it tends to be along the sides of the picture and is only visible in 16:9 mode.

The fact that the set discharges static electricity at the sites where the blotches occur suggests a relatively benign explanation. Also the fact that the blotches immediately disappear suggest a surface issue not something between the layers which would take more than a micro-second touch to remove.

Of course it could just be the remnants of a poltergeist.

Bronze Member
Username: Jake_the_dog

Post Number: 26
Al,

I don't see how adhesives flow once they have set and adhered. I'm not buying that. I think it is static. When you touch the screen it discharges onto you and the problem is solved. If the screen were seperating or de-laminating as you suggest it would take more than a nominal temperature increase to "fix" the issue. The screen is never warm to the touch even after being on for hours. If the adherent could "flow" would in not flow down (gravity) and collect somewhere? I am very unhappy with Samsung but this does not seem correct.

So. Orange County, CA

Post Number: 6
Jake and Jzach:

Problem with these chat boards is the anonymous thing. I tend to be concerned with liability in my statements. I have already indicated that I have an answer. Trust that my perception of the problem is allowing me to enter into a resolution with my supplier. (Not my most immediate supplier) Also know that I'm a geezer guy, high tech, corp. manager and although I enjoy meeting new friends, etc.....it usually involves my regular business activities, not on a chat board. I respect that your occupations or avocations may have similar priorities attached.

Jake, I couldn't overlook the blotch thing. I just paid too much and spent to much time talking to Samsung; and to Samsung agents that either played dumb or just didn't know what the field people already know?

I've entered into what I hope will be a resolution to the issue. And Jzach....sorry...no poltergeists here. Seems it really is as described. Even I had to recant my theories on the generating optics and/or reflective optics.

If you are truely interested in resolving your set issues, I heartily recommend contacting Samsung direct.

Best, Al

Unregistered guest
I am glad I came accross this topic. My 1st HLP5063 had the exact problem as described. I returned it to CC and exchanged it for another.
The boys at CC said it was my fault since I transported the TV on a slight angle in my SUV rather than completely upright. Well anyway I got the new one and it was fine for about 1 month until the dreaded marks showed up. If you wipe the screen it appears it is between the front screen and rear backing. It will dissapear
but returns within a day or so. This the best way I can describe what is happening. If it is a delamination problem, does anyone know what the fix will be?

Jzach
Unregistered guest
I am still of the opinion the problem is static electricity and that something is probably not properly grounding. Especially since I can feel the static when it dissipates. The problem with the de-lamination suggestion is that the watermark should be forever, which it isn't.

Is there a problem, maybe, but until more of these problems occur (which also suggests it is something other than simple static electricity or everyone would be complaining), the best solution is to wipe the screen. We have 4 years to find the answer.

Sorry Al, I still can't buy into a complicated problem. I would rather wait for someone to have the screen replaced and then have no further problems. It may also be the case that the problem arises from multiple sources, which isn't exactly reassuring.

Unregistered guest
I've had my HLP5063W for 3 days now and this morning there is the same problem you all mention. Which is how and why I found this sight in the first place. It sure seems to me that after all this money I shouldn't have this kind of problem out of the box. Sure got a good deal on it at $2599.00 hate to have to find something else. Best Buy is delivering another one wednesday but it sounds like I will have the same problem. Are we all just going to stand for this and accept what we purchased, try something else or get Samsung to make amends?

So. Orange County, CA

Post Number: 7
Jzach, I see you haven't come around yet? The answer is "hidden" in my earlier Email. Ok, ok, tell you what. I'll give you the initials that may lead you to the solution..... "D E L A M I N A T I O N" (big smile, but serious) If you would like to find out what's up with the screen, you're welcome to Email me directly (alsterling@earthlink.net) with your phone number. I'll call you back from my office. (What more can I do?) Best, Al

Jzach
Unregistered guest
Ok Al you win .. although not soon since I am busy, I will arrange for CC warranty to fix the screen. They are actually quite good and ask questions like "can we come tomorrow".

How long does it take to puck out the screen and replace it ?

Unregistered guest
I think you have both hit on something here.
My marks are there in the morning when the house is cold and by evening when I get home they are gone. Back in the morning. Could there be a lamination problem that is effected by temperature. And what would you guys do if you could return the tv for another of the same model or pay an added $400 and get the Toshiba?

Any advise would be great. Email me if you can.
Thanks

Jzach
Unregistered guest
Mine is otherwise fine and all the tweeks to colour, brightness, etc are finished. I haven't seen the Toshiba.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 351
I had a similar problem with my JVC Dila. I had what looked like a "thumbprint" on the upper left of my screen. It would go away when I rubbed the area with a cloth, but it always returned. I ended up swapping the set for a new one. I haven't seen any problems since. JVC told me that the 2 layers are very close together, and any sort of imperfection will cause them to touch, resulting in a spot. The layers are more prone to stick due to static and heat/cold pulling them closer, but it definitely is not delamination. The only "laminate" that JVC and Samsung use is on the front of the screen. They both use an anti-glare coating. The 2 layers that "stick" together are the protective screen, and the actual display screen.

siddy
Unregistered guest
I had an HLP-5063W and the Samsung tech on the phone said that it was a delamination issue and that they would replace the screen, but I returned the set for the new 56" model instead. It has the same issue, but not nearly as bad.

BarkinMadd
Unregistered guest
I've had an HLP-5063W for three weeks. I've replaced it twice due to this 'watermark' issue. Should have come to this forum first. The guy at the store told me he'd never heard of this before. Obviously I'm not the only one having this issue. If this is delamination, then I'd really like Samsung to do something about it. If it's static - shouldn't Samsung have a technical solution as well?

Klaus
Unregistered guest
BarkinMadd:
Follow this link to the Samsung support site. It outlines their acknowledgement of the issue.

http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer/sea/jsp/faqs/faqs_view.jsp?PG_ID=3&AT_ID=171 46&PROD_SUB_ID=41&PROD_ID=153

I am going to wait a bit before having it done to see if other issues come up. As Mr. Lynch above stated, rubbing with a cloth removes my marks for a fair amount of time and the condition varies with temp and humidity.

BarkinMadd
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Klaus.

Unregistered guest
i bought the capn kirk model last september and a friend of mine also bought the same model "5085". we have both noticed this same problem on our tv's. i called sears whom i purchased it from and the repair tech came over. he noticed the problem but after calling his tech service, the only "suggestion" was to take apart the screen and wipe it down. i would not let him do it to mine since they are sealed at the factory for a reason and i dind't want this guy to screw anything else up.

also have noticed that the cloud's seem to go away after the tv has been on for about an hour.

Username: Arego

CT

Post Number: 2
Thanks for this thread.
Just bought the TV. Immediately saw the problem.
Was replaced next day. Same problem. Tech came out. Said it is a know problem (confirmed by link provided by Klaus, thanks).
Replacement screen is on order.
My spots go away temporaily if I "push" on the screen. They do go away after warm up. But for the $$$ this is not acceptable.
If new screen solves problem I will keep it. great picture. (No color wheel noise....Yet!)

BarkinMadd
Unregistered guest
I've contacted Samsung here in Canada and they have arranged to have a service person come out and replace the screen. I'm hopeful that this will correct the issue - You'd think that Samsung would have replacement screens at the ready but according to the link, this problem affects only a small percentage of customers... Hmmm...

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
Hey guys,

any chance it's condensation?!,put a dehumidifier
in the room and see if it goes away.

CT

Post Number: 3
Not condensation. Air is very dry this time of year in CT.
I am still waiting for replacement screen. Two weeks now.

Unregistered guest
i bought mine from sears, all they want to do is clean the screen. i want a new tv. any ideas guys?

BarkinMadd
Unregistered guest
Don't let them come out and clean the screen. If you have the problem noted on the Samsung.com website you may have to deal directly with Samsung for this one. Make sure you discuss this with Sears first and make sure Sears is aware of this reported Samsung issue.

I bought my set and replaced it twice (I'm on my third). I discussed this with the retail outlet and decided to persue this with Samsung with the understanding that if I'm not entirely satisfied with Samsung's solution that I will replace this model with one from another manufacturer.

I'm expecting the service call this coming Friday (Feb 11). I'll post back here with the results of this bit of fun!

annonomys on purpose
Unregistered guest
called samsung directly and they said since i purchased my unit from sears, that sears is who i will have to go to get my problem resolved with. big problem up here in montana though, the sears repair man is about 100 years old and doesn't seem like he would know how to fix a radio let alone a sophisticated item like a new DLP TV. WTF

Unregistered guest
on the topic of cleaning the screen, is there any way to clean the reflective mirror of dust without removing the whole screen? Is there an access panel that you can remove to wipe it down occasionally?

BarkinMadd
Unregistered guest
As promised, I am reporting on the result of the Samsung technician visit.

Would you believe that he had never heard of this issue and as a result, did not have any idea how to resolve it. I believe we're dealing with a group of idiots.

He suggested exchanging the light engine. I tried to explain how that made absolutely no sense.

I tried my best to combat this situation by contacting Samsung before his visit to make sure that they were sending someone who was familiar with this problem. Why the f**k do I bother wasting my time?

Disappointed.

Curious1
Unregistered guest
So, you showed him the Samsung link on your previous post? Is he going to order the screen kit?

TJ74
Unregistered guest
It's funny you said that BarkinMadd. I have been following this post for a few weeks and have been waiting for someone to have a resolution/good outcome.

I bought my hl-p5085w boxing day and have exchanged it 3 times because of the marks on the screen. I live in Canada and called samsung customer service and he talked to me like I was an absolute idiot. Needless to say he did not offer any resolution or acknowledge the post on the Samsung USA site. Then last week I emailed customer service on the canadian site and still am waiting for a response. I bought it at Future Shop and talked to their Samsung tech and he had never heard of the problem. It is absolutely ridiculous for a television that costs this much to be so poor. I am so frustrated and don't know what to do. Maybe just return the damn thing and go with a Sony LCD....

Anonymous

I went with the Sony RPLCD after returning returning that Samsung model twice. Its a shame that even the previous model was plagued with the same problem, but just as a reminder that if you should go with a Sony RPLCD...go with KDF-55WF655. It's better looking than the 50" model, alot better.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_Display ProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KDF55WF655&Dept=tv&CategoryName=tv_Projectio nTVs_RearProjection_55to70TVs

BarkinMadd
Unregistered guest
Curious1:
No. He did not order a screen. In fact, he has absolutely no idea how to solve this and obviously Samsung has not bothered to inform its technicians about how to resolve this.

TJ47:

I also live in Canada (just outside Toronto). Samsung Canada is completely unaware of this issue. I have been e-mailing Samsung.ca and have provided them with the link to the Samsung.com site. When I called 1-800-SAMSUNG (Canadian support) they claimed that they don't use the Samsung.com website for their issues - only the .ca site!!! What the ??? Complete idiots.

I'm looking for alternatives. Bought mine at 2001 Audio&Video - they've been pretty good about it. I'll be talking to them on Monday to see what I can do. I'll either have to go for replacement #4 provide the serial numbers are not close or I'll have to switch to another brand.

CR gives the 50" Panasonic a good rating.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone here that actually got the problem resolved!

My screen name is getting closer to the truth :<

BarkinMadd
Unregistered guest
Update - since things seem to be moving along with Samsung.

I've been contacted by Samsung in response to my e-mail. They insist that the solution to the blotches is to replace the screen and that the tech should have known this. I have arranged for another visit (Feb 23) from the technician. When I booked the appointment this morning, I asked that they write down on the work order that I need three things. First, a new replacement screen. Second, a new light engine (the one the tech installed last Friday has a problem with colour banding). Third, a new light bulb since I have no assurance that the replacement light engine will have a new bulb in it.

The woman I spoke to on the phone while booking the appointment noted that they have already ordered the replacement screen. I told her to call me if the tech had any questions. I also made it clear that I did not what him showing up without the aforementioned replacement parts.

I'll be interested to see what happens next. So far I have to say that both Samsung and their repair people have been very responsive (although its been a bit painful getting over the hurdle of having them recognise this issue).

Once again, I'll post back here next Wednesday to let you know whether or not my problem was resolved.

One other point of interest for some of you who may be considering swapping your 5063W for a Panasonic 50" DLP. The Panasonic uses the new HD2+ technology (used by Samsungs more expensive 5085W pedestal models). Panasonic also uses an 8 segment color wheel. The specs sound better. I did a subjective head to head between the Samsung HLP5063W and the Panasonic 50DL54. I couldn't tell the difference between the two from a contrast point of view (even though the HD2+ has a contrast ratio of 2500:1 whereas the 5063W has 1500:1). What's interesting is that I was watching some motocross and the sky in the Panasonic model showed rather extreme discrete bands of varying shades of blue whereas the Samsung was absolutely perfect. No montion artifacts or banding. I still think that for the money, this HLP5063W is a fantastic TV. That's why I'm going to such lengths to get it fixed rather than jumping ship. Time will tell....

So. Orange County, CA

Post Number: 9
Dear BM.....(couldn't resist)

I've been following your frustrations. For what it's worth, I went through, as you may have read, the near similar thing. I just received my replacement 61" set. It evidently has the new screen. The images are clearer and brighter. I say this knowing that it could all be in my head, but at least the blotch issue is history. You've been through allot. I would agree that the Samsung picture is excellent. I started with the 50" and upgraded during my "blotch-a-thon" up to this current set. It was Samsung that resolved everything. Too bad you and I had to suffer through the ".....I've never heard of that problem" phase. It wasted valuable time. However, I feel like a "Guru" on the DLP machines. I still believe, after looking at many floor models, that the Samsung is the optimal meeting of value and quality.

Good luck on the next tech visit! Al

BarkinMadd
Unregistered guest
Tech arrived with a new screen and a new light engine. Replaced them both and things looked very good this morning. I'll wait until I get home tonight to see if it still looks good.

Fingers crossed...

Unregistered guest
Finally, new screen arrived (took a month). Tech installed and all looks good. Will watch closely.

Unregistered guest
Well I recently got Best Buy to replace the Freznel and Lentil Screens. Looked good for a few days and now the blotches are back... The Freznel lens was manufactured in Jan 05, the Lentil 11/04 same date as my tv. I understand there is a new single layer screen out for this TV. Anyone aware of this?

BarkinMadd
Unregistered guest
The day after my screen was replaced, the blotches were back! I'm following up with Samsung on this one.

To make things worse, there is extreme color banding under low to medium light particularly with flesh tones. This may be the result of the replaced light engine, but I suspect it's related to the signal processing and scaling components.

I am BarkinMadd

Anonymous

I just had my double layer sceen replaced with the new single layer screen. Interesting thing was the service engineer was going to another account after mine and replacing a Samsung screen with a new double layer screen! Well anyway the repair took all of 10 minutes. Finally no blotchy screen but I do think the image is not as sharp as the old screen. anyone else feel this way if you have had your screen replaced?

Ed Greenwald
Unregistered guest
What a fiasco I just went through.
The Samsung tech calls my wife this morning to ask what color the television was.
I said she should have told him it gets all colors, we don't have black and white tv's anymore.
Then he calls me from about 60 seconds from my house. He can barely speak english and arrives 20 minutes
later. Friendly Japanese guy but can't communicate worth a damn. And as we go along it becomes apparent he doesn't have the needed IQ for any kind of a tech.

Samsung had told me he would come out and run tests and determine the problem and order parts. (New Single Layer Screen)
No he arrives with a new lentil and freznel screen. We go round in circles about the single layer screen that Samsung assured me they would put in my file for his review. Then he goes out to his truck and brings in another screen, says this is right one. Nope it's another freznel screen. He takes out my brand new but evidently poorly manufactured screens and lays the lentil on my dirty hardwood floor and proceeds to put the the freznel on top of it. NOT... made him get the new lentil out as well with understanding that he is going to get the correct screen before this is all through.

Well he puts in the new screens and there is tons of dirt between them. What a blithering idiot.
He says he will order new screen monday and call me. Samsung says they will have his boss call me.
Either way I call Samsung back and his company back on Monday to let them know there is no way in hell he is coming back into my house. They are either going to get me someone I can communicate with that has at least a 90 IQ or they are going to get me the new screen and I'll put it in myself.

I also asked him about the sound sync problem on some movies and he just stood there with a blank stare.
As I was trying to find an example it hit me that he would probably think it was an old Godzilla or Bruce Lee Movie and that there was no problem.

If this is not fixed with a new screen by next weekend I am going to be on Best Buys door step with a very angry attitude.

Hope you all have a better experience.

Username: Samsungtech

Post Number: 3
The blotches issue is a known issue to Samsung. We are doing everything possible to make the screen replacements as painless as possible.
The new screen is a sealed single screen. The blotches that some of you have experienced is moisture collecting between the 2 sheets of screen (old screen type). The replacement takes about 10 mins if done by a Samsung Field engineer. If you are having your screen replaced please do the following, Vacuum the area around the TV set if you have a rug. if you have pets specially cats put them away before the tech arrives and vacuum the area REALLY WELL, the reason is that once the tech opens the set all floating particles in the air may and WILL enter the projection area and they may seattle on the mirror and let me tell you they are a pain to clean after and you WILL see any hairs or lint that lands on the projection path

BarkinMadd
Unregistered guest
Update. Samsung finally replaced my TV last week with a refurbished unit (had the blotches!) and finally and brand new TV manufactured in February 2005 (Mexico). It's absolutely perfect in every way except for the blotches!!!!

BTW: The color banding issue turned out to be an incorrect setting in the service menu. When the technician replaced the light engine, he didn't bother to enter new calibration values particular to each light engine. I don't understand the details, but that's what I determined from extensive research. Your milage may vary.

I'll post back here - thanks to Shelley G for yesterday's posting.

Shelley - If you're reading this, would you mind contacting Samsung Canada (e-mail if you wish) and inform them of the details you wrote above). It seems that Samsung Canada is unaware of this resolution - communication breakdown.

Much appreciated.

Username: Barkinmadd

Decided to register as a member.

I'll keep posting here for those who are interested...

Unregistered guest
Ok guys here is the part number for the One Piece Screen that was just put into my HLP-5063W.

1BP91-01811A

Looks great BTW...

Post Number: 6
The correct part number is BP91-01811A without the 1 in front of it..
:-)

Post Number: 7
Dear Alexander, I work for Samsung USA and do not have any contacts in Canada. I am sure they are well aware of the situation as Samsung US headquarter in N.J send memos and bulletins to all the service centers and field engineers around the country.

Ed Greenwald
Unregistered guest
Shelley,
You are correct. The 1 in front of the number apparently meant quanity. Wish I'd known about the hair issue before hand. No carpet in my house but plenty of dogs and cats. I don't see any hair at this point. Screen looks great except for 2 very small dots on the inside which I will clean through the portholes tonight. I'm hoping it's not a pixel problem but I don't think so. Anyway I am sure many will be releaved to see someone from Samsung posting in here and taking care of the issue.
Thanks

Post Number: 8
Ed, what you are seeing is probably lint from replacing the screen, I highly doubt is a bad pixel, just open the porthole and clean it with a lint free cloth the type that you use for cleaning glasses, beware you may make the problem worse if you use paper towels or tissue.

Ed Greenwald
Unregistered guest
BTW Shelley whats up with the sound sync thingy?
Most of the time things look great but sometimes the sound is way off. If I go into another room on a CRT TV all looks fine on the same channel.

So. Orange County, CA

Post Number: 10
Shelley G:

Thankful to see you adding insight into this screen issue. I feel like the "Beta Test Site" for anything that could've gone wrong in trying to remedy a customer service issue. It could've been much worse, but thankfully, I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel. My case should be fully resolved in another couple weeks. I have to admit, it would have been so much better if you'd shown up earlier this year or late last year (even better) to provide the straight skinny.

I am certainly hopeing that Samsung can advance their field service program a bit quicker to include "factory employees" over contract technicians.

My first visit by a TV repair tech became legend as he took "every phillips head screw in existence" out of the back of the 50" cabinet........only to have me point out that there were two port holes available up front!? No signal generators, no signal strength metering......just a Harbor Freight electric screwdriver! Heck, I could've loaned him my Makita! The biggest laugh was that when he entered my house I greeted him in Korean....honestly believing he was straight from Korea via his training in New Jersey. Turned out he was from the local TV shop in Laguna Niguel.

That aside......and including the two mis-shipments of the wrong replacement sets.....I'm almost home on this whole mess. Thankfully, and while ignoring the blotches as best I can, I still believe the Samsung has the best picture and sound for the price.

....patiently waiting for my 61" screen R&R (remove and replace) hopefully late next week, Best Al

Post Number: 9
The Lip synch issue is another known issue to Samsung. If you are experiencing sound delay call Samsung. There is a lip synch kit available and consist on replacing the digital+analog board. it also may be as easy as turning sound delay on or sound delay 3 on the factory menu but you need to have this done by a Samsung field engineer.

Post Number: 10
Samsung has recently launched the Field Engineering program in most major US cities. These are certified Samsung Field engineers dedicated to service all of the High Def TV line DLP, plasma and LCD. Samsung is very commited to deliver the highest service possible, However there are many "certified" Samsung service centers (which are not part of the F.E program)and that may have been the case with your service call experience.
Samsung will call you immidiatly after a warranty service ticket has been closed to follow up and will ask you some questions about your overall satisfaction and service experience. You should share with the Samsung CSR your feelings, praises or complaints about your service experience.

Bronze Member

So. Orange County, CA

Post Number: 11
Shelley....don't know if you're West Coast or East Coast, but interesting and nice to see you're "out there" at this hour. Thanks again. As for letting CS know about my satisfaction level........I'm afraid they hear from me "even before the service is attempted." I am part of a major corp. that, like Samsung, is dedicated to doing a "better job." I've been reading through all the goof ups and feel pretty smug in knowing the trials and tribulations back at corporate cust. service.

I relate this spasm like attempt to do a good job in a really big company to the analogy of the Chinese Dragon in a parade......

"Consider the 'Dragon of Many Members' who may not move all at one time........therefore causing some discomfort to those who are not prepared to take faster steps, a discomfort lengthened while they ponder their position and future."

Let's hope Samsung gets the "whole dragon" moving ahead all at one time. The field service contact is the business card of All Samsung. The sooner they reprint their cards with an authentic corporate logo, the better it'll be for everyone.

(IMHO: I feel badly for my contacts at corp. customer service management, and believe they know how to fix the Dragon, just need more immediate support from upper management.)

Best, Al

CT

Post Number: 4
Should I be worried?
I had my screen replaced under warranty.
The replacement screen was a two piece screen. I am seeing here that the "new" screen is a one piece screen.
Also, in response to Shelly's latest post, Samsung has never called me about my warranty repair.
So far the new screen looks great (no watermarks).
But ........ will they return???

Ed Greenwald
Unregistered guest
Thanks Shelley for the Sync info and I apologize to all for posting the question here.

Anonymous

Thanks Shelley for the info on the Sync problem and I apologize to all for posting my question here.

Problem is Shelley that the tech that came to my house just stood there with a blank stare when I asked him about the problem.

I'll tackle this one next

Anonymous

Al.
Problem with the Dragon now days is he is being lead by a program called Six Sigma. You know the type of thing that companies use to look like things are getting better. You get everyones buy in but in reality it slows progress.

Ed Greenwald
Unregistered guest
Opened the portholes last night and cleaned with lint free cloth.... Now a perfect screen!
Thanks again Shelley.

Hey can you come to my house and fix my sync problem? lol, just kidding

Username: Barkinmadd

Shelley,

Samsung Canada neither confirms or denies the existence of the single-layer replacement screen. You may not have official contacts with Samsung.ca but if you would be so kind as to e-mail them via www.samsung.ca you could provide them with the part# and other information.

When I mentioned to them the discussion on this forum it seemed to cause them some discomfort after which the stated that they will not consider any information from a web forum, only Samsung technical bulletins.

Username: Radicalx

I think Shelley jumped into the forum early. April 1st is not here yet.

Username: Ironchef25

Anaheim, Ca

ok. i have the same issue with you guys. bought the tv from best buy around 03/29/05 tv was delivered on 03/31/05.. notice blotches around 04/01/05 read up and found this forum today 04/02/05.. so i guess this is a common problem. called samsung to have a tech come buy and tell them if they can change my screen to a 1layer screen. they said that the first time they come.. they will replace with the original equipment.if problem is not fix.. they will then go ahead and change it to a 1layer screen... i bought the tv from best buy with 4year waranty. should i call samsung first to have them come buy or call best buy?.. shelley how should i ask the cs in samsung to explain to them i want the screen part#BP91-01811A the first visit instead of waiting for a second visit..

Username: Radicalx

I spoke to someone who works at FutureShop (canadian subsidiary of BestBuy). Normally I wouldn't trust sales people at Futureshop but this guy has proved to be knowledgeable in the past.

I asked if he'd heard of a problem with the unit involving blotches.

He confirmed that he'd heard of at least one case where someone had a problem with blotches. This guy returned the TV for a refund.

The strange part is the guy at FutureShop couldn't reproduce the problem with the very same (returned) unit in the store. I asked him if they switched the TV's off every night and he confirmed that they did. Could relative humidity make a difference?

FYI
Unregistered guest
Two screens are being pulled together.
Some think it's due to a warped screen.
Some can make blotches disappear by wiping the screen.
Others say they disappear after the set warms up.
Yes! I think humidity and static electricity play some role.

Username: Ironchef25

Anaheim, Ca

ok samsung came in today and replace it with a single screen. but part number is bp91-01839a is this the single screen or the same screen as my previous one..

Username: Dexter_joyner

Atlanta, GA

Hello,

I am having the same issue with the blotches on the screen. I thought about removing the screen and wiping the screen off with the "monster big screen cleaners solution. Does anyone recommend that.. I brought my tv from a private party and never noticed the problem until recently. I don't have any of the warranty information however the tv was orginally purchased in December 2004. Does Samsung manufacturing warranty cover this issue or will i have to pay for the single screen replacement and tech visit myself.

thanks

FYI
Unregistered guest
The warranty folks at 1-800-SAMSUNG can tell the manufactured date by the serial number. They will replace the screen for you.

One of the two screens, that touch each other and make the blotch, could be warped. If that's the case, cleaning it will not help. If humidity or static is the culprit, cleaning the surface with a damp cloth might change or correct the blotching without removing the screen. It might not last, though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us