RCA DLP deal at Frys

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 222
Fry's in the Seattle area has the RCA HD50LPW42 on sale for $1999. The sale is Today only though. That's a very tempting price if your in the market for a new set.

Mr Sparks
Unregistered guest
Yes, I saw that sale also at Fry's. The RCA is capable of an excellent picture. I found it interesting that the picture, at Fry's was terrible during the sale. This weekend, while at Fry's I noticed the same TV, back to normal price (around $2700) and the picture was excellent. I noticed the same thing going on with a JVC 52" on sale, bad picture until it when off sale, then the picture got good again. What is Fry's up to?

Tony B
Unregistered guest
It got you into the store

Mr Sparks
Unregistered guest
I have no problem with a store creating a loss leader on a useable product. But, to purposely tweak a loss leader to look bad, so no one buys it at the low price? Is this honest? Hum ...

Is it really possible they tweaked a loss leader HDTV to look bad? Would they do something that sneaky, while we are'nt looking? Tell me it's not so ...

Has anyone witnessed this tactic first hand?

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 315
I know for a fact the Fry's in Renton does it. When the JVC came in, it blew everything around it away. About a month later the Toshiba DLP came in it was placed next to the JVC. The JVC still looked a lot better on the Friday, but when we returned on Saturday to look again, the JVC was almost unwatchable, and the Toshiba looked really good. Even the Salesman said "look at the new Toshiba, it's our best set, just came in too". I saw the same thing when the Mitsu DLP came in. I live a few minutes from Fry's, and I swear whatever is onsale looks bad, but the full price sets look good.

Mr Sparks
Unregistered guest
Thats the same experience I had. I also noticed the Mitus looking the best at Fry's. It's also about the highest priced DLP.

We know better. My concern is for the average Joe, trying to pick out a TV based on the picture he see's in the store. What can we do to make Fry's honest?

Live Oak Ca
Unregistered guest
I noticed this at the Sacramento store (11/24/04). All the sets were really crappy. I made them put in a DVD to show me how clear the picture was. Told them if it didn't look good at home, I'd be back. My plan all along was to purchase the RCA HD50LPW42. At $1999, you cann't beat the price. It's been amonth now, great picture. Need to purchase keyboard.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us