Can You Place a LCD rp or DLP tv above the fireplace?

Username: Chad4bama

Post Number: 5
I know you can't hang them like a plasma, but I'm building a house and can have a built in space above the fireplace for a tv. Trying to weigh the cons of the burn-in problem with plasma vs. what seems like constant bulb failures with LCD/DLP units. Heat shouldn't be a major problem with the gas fireplace, but would the viewing angle with LCD/DLP be compromised if it's placed a couple of feet above eye level?

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 221
viewing angle might be a concern with LCD/DLP depending on the TV. Also, since RPTVs use a very hot bulb, most need ample space in the rear for cooling.
A Flat Panel LCD or a Plasma with "pixel shift" would be your best bet. Pixel shift is a fairly new technique used to prevent burn-in on Plasma displays. RCA also makes a new DLP that is wall mountable. It is only 6 1/2 inches deep. It is very expensive though.

Post Number: 7
I was looking at the Panasonic 60inch LCD rp. Seating will be about 15 feet back. I've made myself look like a fool in Best Buy almost laying on the floor and looking up. I wonder what experience others have with this tv and its vertical viewing angle. Obviously I don't want to stand up and see a bright picture and then sit down to a noticeably darkened screen.

Stendall
Unregistered guest
A RPTV cannot vent heat in your configuration as Mr. Lynch stated and your verticle viewing angle will be too high.

Post Number: 8
I may end up changing the configuration and putting the fireplace in the corner so the tv can be at eye level. I'd planned to provide ventilation from where the unit would be placed, so it would not be completely enclosed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us