Asking Q's and seeking advice: Philips 34PW850H or Toshiba 50H12?

Jack in Georgia
Unregistered guest
Greetings, everyone. Kinda new here; please forgive me if I have to ask where the coffee and restroom are located.

I'm looking at new TVs to buy (to replace my existing 12-year-old Zenith, which will move to another room) and I think I've settled on two, but I can't quite make up my mind between them, and wanted to know if anyone here had experience with either set, or general comments that might help me make up my mind.

Since full-time HDTV is around the corner, I decided to get a widescreen HD compatible set. After looking at prices, features, and seeing sets in the store, I've narrowed it down to either the 34" Philips 34PW850H direct-view, or the 50" Toshiba 50H12 RPTV. I can get both for the same price.

What will I use the set for? Watching TV shows, playing video games (Xbox, maybe 3-4 hours on 1-2 nights a week), occasional movies. I live in the metro Atlanta area, and can get broadcast HDTV easily (and there are lots of folks at http://www.atlantadtv.org/ who could help me with any problems I might encounter).

For now, the set will be in my apartment living room. I'd normally be sitting 6-8 feet away, usually no more than 30 degrees away from straight-on, which makes the 50" Toshiba seem the better choice. With the 34" Philips, eventually, after I purchase a home, I _could_ move the set to my bedroom and get a new one for the living room (maybe the successor to the 50"?).

50" vs. 34". Sounds like a no-brainer. Except, I've never owned an RPTV set before and I have some concerns about them. For example, as I understand it, the overall lifespan of RPTV's is somewhat shorter than that of traditional tube sets, and they require periodic adjustment and maintenance (and sometimes replacement color tubes) to maintain their quality and brightness. I've also heard that most RPTV's suffer a noticable drop in brightness within the first year--is that really true?

I've also seen the article at http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/SonyTVissue.html on problems with RPTV sets. Is that a common problem for that type, or is it mainly restricted to certain Sony models and has since been fixed?

Aside from the size (OK so 50% more screen area is a BIG difference) and whatever fancy marketing names both companies have for features, the only real, noticable feature difference between the two is that the 50" Toshiba has a dual-tuner PIP for standard-def, and the Philips does not. That's a "nice to have" feature but not a "must have" so it's not really a critical decision point. The Philips would fit better in my apartment living room, but I'm willing to live with the Toshiba's bulk, so that's not a critical factor, either.

Also, what's really the smallest size set that will show HD well? Is 34" just too small to properly show 1080i?

I should say that I'm leaning toward the 34" Philips at the moment, but it's not a comfortable lean. The main reasons are my concerns over RPTV's, and my experience with traditional sets. I kinda _want_ the 50" Toshiba, but I'm slightly scared by my preconceived notions about RPTV's. At the moment, I want a set that will last for years.

Any thoughts, advice, comments, experience-based remarks or criticisms (hey, you didn't think about THIS, did you?) are welcome.

Regards,
Jack

Reference links:
Toshiba 50H12 - http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=50H12
Philips 34PW850H - http://www.consumer.philips.com/global/b2c/ce/catalog/product.jhtml?divId=0&grou pId=TV_GR&catId=WIDESCREEN_TV_CA&subCatId=33_WIDESCREEN_TV_SU&productId=34PW850H _17

Jack in Georgia
Unregistered guest
I should add that the Akai PT4298HD 42" set is a possible consideration (for much less money), but I have concerns over the quality and longevity of that brand.

PanFan
Unregistered guest
Jack did you look at LCD's. The standard rear projections sucks. The screens are so reflective they can be used for a mirror. Lcd sreens view great at any angle and my 50" Panasonic PT-50LC13 has a real mat screen finish.

If it was me I WOULD NOT buy the Toshiba, it will not last. [Experiece] taking the mother inlaw's to the repair shop.

You can get the PT-50LC13 for $2700, which is cheaper than what your looking at. The Pan can hook up every thing you got.

Anyway I would go TV over standard RP, and what ever you do, DO NOT, buy Sony.

Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 16
Jack-don't be misled by the Akai brand name. To my understanding, it's a Samsung in an Akai bezel. There's a thread somewhere around here about it and it's gotten great reviews; and for the $900(until Feb 1) you can get it for at Costco, it's a GREAT bang for buck. As for the other two, I won't go there. I've knocked out direct-views and RPTVs unless it's LCD(I don't like having a "sweet spot" on the set). I myself am leaning towards the Samsungs coming out at the end of this year with the +HD3 chips.
BTW- I grew up 5 minutes from Phipps.

Jack in Georgia
Unregistered guest
Larry,
The area has changed since you were born, no?

WRT the Akai thread, I guess you're talking about this one:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/3385.html

I've lurked throught that discussion and while a lot of people who posted like it, it sounds like there've been several who had problems, which was part of my concern. Especially with the regular cable picture quality, which will be a big part of my TV watching for the next year or so. 'Course, everyone seems to love the DVD pic quality on that set, which is one reason I'm even thinking about it. And you're right about the price--it's sweet.

If it really is made by Samsung then that would kinda help my concern. AFAIK, they've got fairly good standards.

The "sweet spot" problem is another reason why I'm hesitating over the RP sets.

PanFan,
Actually the two sets I'm looking at are $1200. I'd love an LCD but gotta wait until prices come down a little more.

A friend of mine says the same about RP that you do. My friend isn't fond of Sony either. Um, do you live in Georgia....in Gwinnett County....?

PanFan
Unregistered guest
Hi Jack
No I live in Michigan. LOL!
I went to the link on the 50H12 and it had a msrp of $2899, I thought that was high.

I wonder about the longevity of the Samsung also. They have come on the market strong with the DLP's, but who owens a 21 year old Samsung. My 25" Maganvox console still has a great picture. That comes from a guy who has $6000 in Bose, Tv and ect. Maganvox and Phillips you now are one.

I heard also Cosco is a great place to buy because of their warranty.

Good luck what ever you buy. (NOT SONY) LOL!

PanFan
Unregistered guest
Yes I Know I spelled Magnavox wrong!

Bronze Member
Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 22
Hey, Jack. I just posted a long, detailed description of the new Samsungs under the https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/8298.html thread. Go there if you have any questions about the 2004 Samsungs. I'm waiting for the xHD3 models myself

Danimal
Unregistered guest
Hi Jack...

I just did a side by side of the Phillips 34inch 9818, and the Sony 34inch wide S510...

We tweaked the settings as much as possible and could not escape these 2 facts...

1. The Sony had MUCH greater detail. You could actually see the blackheads on somebodys nose close up! (not that i'm into that, but you get the point)
By comparison, the Phillips had a "soft focus" effect going on, and was a bit blurry in comparison.

2. The Phillips showed detail in whites tones, such as ruffled white blouses, parchment paper that the Sony COMPLETELY washed out! One scene was a window, and the Sony had completely washed out the little window pane separators.

The store rep tried to fix this by adjusting the "warmth, cool, picture, brightness, sharpness, color etc".... but to no avail.

I left the store disgustd with BOTH models... i want the Sony detail with the Phillips color recognition!
...i also want the DVI-HDCP input so i can use a 1080i DVD player someday...

Any similar reports out there? Or was it just this one? The thing is, if I had not had both TV's to compare eachother to, I would have never noticed either of these problems... bummer eh?

Username: Phillyguy

Post Number: 8
RPTV's are soon to be dinossaurs of the TV industry- too many issues with them as whole.
I'd do what I am doing, wait a few months- prices will keep going down on LCD's, DLP's and Plasma's. Then get yourself something really sweet- especially for the amount you are willing to spend.

Rob
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us