Recording Digital Channels

Username: Pstahljr

Post Number: 1
Is there a DVD recorder with a harddrive (e.g. Panasonic DMR-E85HS) that can be used with Digital Cable channels (i.e. >channel 100)? I saw in another post that the DVD Recorder I quoted above doesn't download the TV guide menu well. I'd like to be able to record any channel I get with my Dig Cable. I have the Motorola HD Comcast Cable box. Anyone have a DVD Recorder and can record the digital cannels? I found out that the Comcast HD DVR won't let you record to a DVD recorder.

thnaks, Pete

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Hi Pete,

I have an E-80 and an E-85. They will both record any digital input (including an HD input) to their hard drives. For the analog channels (under 100) I use the internal tuner of the units via a split coax connection before it enters my STB and for the digital signals I use the L3 (Line) input via an S-Video cable from my STB.

As I mentioned I can record an HD signal although it records in 480i format it is still a sight to behold. The E-85 can be set to record in 16:9 so if you burn a dvd and use the full mode on your display you get the correct aspect ratio on your display.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 3
That's good to know that it will work. I guess you don't use the TV Guide feature? What exactly is a STB? Also why not just use the signal though the L3 input, won't that pick up the analog signal too? Thanks for the reply!

Pete

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
What exactly is a STB?

It is a standard abbreviation for Set Top Box, in other words your cable box is your STB.

Also why not just use the signal though the L3 input, won't that pick up the analog signal too?

Yes it will but the analog from the cable box is degraded compared to using the cable direct from your wall. Another reason is that you are unable to watch a different channel than you wish to record at the same time when using only the line input.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 4
So I'm guessing you have to set your cable box to a specific channel when you want to record a digital channel? I was thinking the cable box had a pass-through/splitter inside so you could use the DVD Recorder seperate from the Cable Box. My TV has a lot of inputs having one for each would be no problem. Was hoping I could set the DVD for a show then watch another and not have to worry about setting the cable box to a specific channel. So what I really wanted to know is will the DVD Recorder download the TV Guide and work independently of the cable box? I was hoping the DVD recorder had a digital tuner in it, don't need the HD signal. Just wanted to record the upper (>100) channels.

thanks again, Pete

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
So what I really wanted to know is will the DVD Recorder download the TV Guide and work independently of the cable box?

Yes and no. The E-85 will download the Guide on "some" STB's but not all. When using the built-in guide the recorder uses an i-link to change the channel on your STB so if you have a recording scheduled and are watching a different channel the recorder will change the channel on your STB in order to record.

I was hoping the DVD recorder had a digital tuner in it, don't need the HD signal.

No digital tuner, I am unaware of any DVD recorder with an HDD that has it's own digital tuner due to copyright restrictions.

Just wanted to record the upper (>100) channels.

In that case you will need to use the line input and be prepared to watch the channel you are recording.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 5
I'll ask my local Comcast if they have any with Dual tuners. I know Motorola makes them but if Comcast has them is a different story. Thanks for all your reply's,& have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Pete

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the Happy Turkey Day Pete and back at you. You asked me specifically about DVD recorders, Comcast does not have dual tuner DVD recoprders and neither does any other cable company. Motorola and Scientific Atlanta make PVR's but they will not record a DVD nor output a digital stream to a non-HDCP compliant device.

The Motorola 6412 is a dual tuner PVR and I am using one at home as well as my Panasonic DVD recorders.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 6
That's the one! That's what I meant when I said I'd ask them if they had daul tuners in their STB's. Can't you record with one and watch the other signal? I thought that's what the daul tuner was for. I guess some TV's need it for pic-in-pic. If I can get a 6412 I'll give it a try when I get a DVD Recorder.

thanks, Pete

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Can't you record with one and watch the other signal?

Yes and you can also record two different shows and watch a third that you have already recorded at the same time. Very nifty!! :-)

xvxvxvx

jeff t
Unregistered guest
Thank you

Post Number: 7
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can't you record with one and watch the other signal?

Yes and you can also record two different shows and watch a third that you have already recorded at the same time. Very nifty!!

xvxvxvx

Just got the Dual Tuner DVR from Comcast. Pretty cool, but how do you watch a recorded program while you record 2 others? Can't imagine I'll do this very often but who knows. As for a DVD recorder, probaly not till after the Xmas holiday.

thanks, Pete

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Pretty cool, but how do you watch a recorded program while you record 2 others?

It depends on whether you got a Motorola DCT6208 or the Motorola DCT6412. If you got the 6208 I do not believe you can. If you got a 6412 just set your recordings then press the green button on your remote to view your selection of previously recorded programs. Select the one you wish to view and select play from the menu. Yo can now view the previously recorded show while simultaneously recording two shows in the background.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 8
Thanks again. I have the DCT6412. Wasn't expecting to get it, I asked the installer if they had them yet and He sure this is one of them. I'll give what you said a try.

Pete

Clarks
Unregistered guest
Hi guys, thinking of purchaseing the Panasonic E85H, how does this TV GUIDE ONSCREEN work? Will it work with an FTA receiver? any input would be much appreciated. thanks Clark

Scott's E85H
Unregistered guest
No, the TV GUIDE ONSCREEN will not work with satellite. You need to set a timer on both to record from the guide.

Anyone know what channel that WOW Cable is used to download the TV Guide info from? also, Can you set the WOW Cable Box to the channel that the TV Guide is downloaded to and then turn off the Panasonic E85H and let it download in about 20 minutes or so, then start using the guide?

Scott

Anonymous

I recently added the Comcast provided Motorola DCT 6400 duel tuner hi def video digital recorder. It can in fact record simultaneously pristine hi def quality signals - near IMAX level quality (on the better comcast signals) on its replays via a PT-AE7000 LCD projector(dvi/hdmi linked)

This is hard drive only

HARD DRIVE combined with (hi def copyrighted material recordable,e.g movies)DVDs - are not going to happen until the studios figure out a way to charge a toll via the HDMI linkages

Theoretically you might currently be able to offload onto D-VHS, ie hi def video -however I have some doubts that hollywood studios left even that doorway open

HD-DVD on the way anyways and it should not be that expensive

kkf18
Unregistered guest
I am trying to connect my Toshiba dvd recorder to my Explorer Hd8000 cable/dvr box so I can transfer what was recorded on the dvr to my dvd hdd. Tried the s-video, no luck. I'm guessing I would need to record >100 since that's where the dvr list is? Anyone's advice is greatly appreciated as I am clueless....

RogerDodger
Unregistered guest
What do I need to do to connect a DCT6412 to my HDTV using DVI?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
What do I need to do to connect a DCT6412 to my HDTV using DVI?

Huh? A trick question perhaps? OK, I'll bite. You first purchase a DVI cable then attach one end to your 6412 and the other end to your display input.

xvxvxvx

Judy
Unregistered guest
I purchased the Panasonic DMR-E75V DVD video recorder and wish to use it to record digital cable channels. I rent the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100 digital box from my local cable company. Under the present set up, my cable from the wall goes into the existing VCR, then the digital box, then the TV set. If I understand correctly, if I switch the DVD recorder with the VCR I will not be able to get the onscreen TV listings to work, and I will not be able to use the record feature of the DVD recorder, as it is only able to record analog cable channels. Is there a way to get around this so I can record digital channels?

I don't care if I have to record and watch the same channel.

Many thanks.

Post Number: 9
Judy,

You can but you have to record what you watch. In other words the DVD recorder has to get hooked up after the cable box. I do this with my VCR and can record any channel as far as I know and as long as it's not scrambled. It should work this way. I have Comcast with the Motorola box so I don't know exactly what your hook up will be but if you go from the cable box to the DVD Recorder with the Video/Audio jacks then to the TV it should work. You may need to set your recorder to a Video input or a specific channel though. Your manual should be able to help you with this. Hope this make sense and helps.

Pete

sgardner
Unregistered guest
we have the comcast digital box we added a sony dvd/vcr to it but can't get it to record other channels;
1.while watching another channel or
2.recording with the tv turned off but the digital still on.
Any ideas?? Comcast says we should be able to.

unregistered
Unregistered guest
I have a Comcast 2-tuner DVR. I have set various recordings by time (not by show title). Most work fine, but I set one to record weekly starting at 11:59 PM and ending at 1:00 AM. I can't stop it! It doesn't show up on the Scheduled DVR Recordings guide because it crosses a day. Timed series don't show up on the Series Priority List. How do I stop it?

Username: Donh

I bought a 3100 Scientific Explorer HD receiver from E bay and tried it on my 2nd large screen TV. I already am renting a cable box from Time Warner to receive Dig an HD signals for another TV, but when I tried using the purchased receiver, I got a message to contact the cable company. I contacted Time Warner and they want to rent me another box. I don't want to pay rent to Time Warner for a 2nd receiver when I am paying for HD service. Is there a way to activate the box without cable having to do it.?

donh

fx
Unregistered guest
"Is there a way to activate the box without cable having to do it.? "

No, enjoy your new doorstop.

xvxvxvx

mgerst
Unregistered guest
I have a DCT 6400 Series Comcast Cable box with front panel video In and audio in jacks. I'm trying to hook up an XBox through the cable box to play on a Plasma TV. I can't seem to get it to work using the front panel jacks. With the remote how can I switch from the cable box signal to the xbox signal using the front jacks. Thanks.

fx
Unregistered guest
You cannot mgerst, those inputs are disabled and as far as I know none of the cable companies have any intentions of enabling them although it would be a simple firmware change.

xvxvxvx

Username: Sci_fi_nut

I just picked up the Comcast / Motorola DVR cable box. Iseem to remember seeing somewhere a method to pull the recorded shows from the box to a PC such that they could be burned on a DVD. I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have information on how to do this?

wishfulthinking
Unregistered guest
Hello Ed, pulling recorded shows from the Motorola DVR to your PC:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=3818890#post3818890

Username: Sci_fi_nut

Post Number: 2
Thanks, wish. I was hoping there was a way to access the data directly from the DVR box's hard drive, rather than capture it while it is being played.

I wonder if taking the unit apart and removing the hard drive, then connecting it up to a PC will work?

Ed

Unregistered guest
Hello,

I have a motorola 6412 which I am running to a plasma with a HDMI cable. I also have a DVD player which I would simply like to run to the 6412 instead of the TV (due to cabling grief). There is a basic video in on the 6412, but I cannot find how you change the input to allow for the video in jack to be used. There doesn't seem to be anything in the online manual either that shows how to do this. Any help would be appreciated

Vince

Anonymous

I saw that same website that "wishfulthinking" posted and I found this simular one too: http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/index.html
I was going to have too buy a Firewire cable to just test if it works,,, 6pin male to 6pin male connection... here is the cheapest cable I have found so far.... http://www.buyextras.com/6to6fica.html .. But this is my 1st choice and cheapest.. 2nd choice,,, Buy a Video capture card and use a S-video cable to get it to the PC... Best card I'v seen so far is the
Pinnacle Systems Studio Plus 700- USB or PCI card... http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/uk/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/S tudio+Family/Studio+Plus+700-USB+version+10.htm There are others and much cheaper brands, but you get what you pay for,,, also there is no way to use this option as a way to download like a hard drive,,, it would only capture what your watching at that time through the s-video... That's why you need a good quilty card... hope this helps,,, in all the madness
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us