MItsu WD-62725 PQ with DVI/HDMI

Unregistered guest
I am running the Mitsubishi WD-62725 with the Denon 1910 and Monster DVI to HDMI digital cables and the resolution of the picture is outstanding. However, I noticed that the brightness, colors, and contrast are noticeably less when connecting the units this way. When connecting the units via component cables the picture is "normal" in terms of brightness, color, and contrast but the resolution is slightly less. Has anyone else noticed a difference in picture when using DVI or HDMI cables vs. component cables?

CraigS
Unregistered guest
YES! I'm researching this. I've got the WD-52525 and found the very exact thing. I made every adjustment possible. I'm calling Mits to find out.

Unregistered guest
CraigS,
I have sent tech support emails to Mitsubishi, Monster Cable, and Denon. I will post as soon as I get some information. BTW, what DVD player are you using?

CraigS
Unregistered guest
on the phone with Mits right now. This is the first he's heard of this, but he has me on hold while he checks with other techs. Good luck getting an email response from the webform. Okay, he's taken my information and moving it to tech assessment. He promises for someone to get back in two days. I've found they are pretty good about this. I'll keep you posted.

Unregistered guest
CraigS, you did not mention what DVD player you have. In looking through the Denon 1910 manual, there is a "black level" adjustment which controls the brightness of the blacks. The default is "on" which makes the blacks brighter and may affect the contrast. But why does it affect the digital output (DVI) and not the analog (component cables)? It is worth a try. Let me know if you get an improvement. I would try this myself but I already returned the DVI/HDMI cable.

MC Dog
Unregistered guest
I forgot, you need to turn the "black level" OFF.

Bronze Member
Username: Pitburger

Post Number: 15
I have the WD62725 with Toshiba 5970 upconvert to 1080i DVD player. Have it hooked into TV via HDMI, and do not have this problem. PQ is amazing!

CraigS
Unregistered guest
I'm sorry, MC. Didn't mean to ignore your questions. I have the Motorola 6412 DVR/Receiver connected to the HDMI (DVI>HDMI). I don't know what would happen with a DVI/HDMI DVD as I don't own one. From everything I've read, the improvements are negligable, especially considering that HD DVD is around the corner. I'll wait as my DVD library isn't that large to start with. I'm a Netflix guy.

Unregistered guest
Well, I have finally solved the mystery. I went back to Good Guys and they had a Denon 1910 DVD player hooked up to a Mitsu 52525 with a DVI to HDMI cable. (Same set up I had, probably with the same cable I returned to them.) We popped in a DVD and observed the same dull picture I was complaining about. I then set the "Black Level" to OFF on the DVD player and on the TV set the Color Balance adjustment from "auto" to Perfect Color and got the awesome picture everyone raves about. The colors may be a little less bright and saturated with the DVI but I noticed that this is because of the increased detail of the picture. I am now in total Nirvana. What I don't understand is why Denon would set the default to a setting that makes the picture so crappy.

Username: Wyatth

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 1
I'm having the same problem with a 62725 and the denon 1910. I just had it installed 3 days ago and think that the DVD image is pure garbage while the HDTV image is wonderful. I have been ranting at the UE sales guy for a few days. I just stumbled onto this forum. Thanks to everyone who contributes here. UE (and tweeter and BB and Fry's and Good Guys, etc) should have a constant link to this sites for their sales staff. I will try the "Black Level Off" adjustment tonight. -OR- would this be a good time to swap to another DVD player?

Username: Biz1009

Mesa, Az Usa

Post Number: 1
well my i'm running the same setup as MCDOG , but my biggest problem is the GREEN GLOW , the green color is dominant it's just awful i reduced it through perfect color but still a problem , does anyone experience this problem before

Username: Wyatth

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 2
Moe,
I also have the green problem, but figured that it was related to the "Becker" phenomenon that I referred to yesterday. I decided to call it "Becker" because it resembles (to a lesser degree) the look of the "transition graphics" that the TV comedy Becker uses between scenes and at commerical breaks. It's a reduced color depth and pixelated artsy-look of local scenes. I see the green when watching "Master and Commander", especially the fog scenes. The sandstorm in "Hildago" really shows the "Becker" problem. UE has agreed to replace my 62725. I hope that this solves the problem.

tnguyen
Unregistered guest
I have the MIT 62725 and loving it, but I've notice that even with the TV being off, I can hear something like a faint fan noise all of the time, is this normal ? have anyone here notice it ?? otherwise the TV is awsome

Username: Biz1009

Mesa, Az Usa

Post Number: 2
hey wyattH
thanx for your response , actualy i called mits consumer affair and explain to them my problem , they suggested since my unit is only 1 week old , to replace it , so i'm getting new one on monday , I REALLY HOPE THIS WILL TAKE OF THE PROBLEM , cause it's sure anoying
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us