HDTV - What To Buy

Username: Duve

Syosset, New York USA

Post Number: 2
DLP or LCD? Looking to buy 36' to 40" HD ready TV.
Price range $2500 to $3000. Suggestions please.

Bronze Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 55
I'd get the 42" Sony LCD.

Username: Circuit_city

Portland, Or Usa

Post Number: 3
go look for your selfs, lcds are normally very bright sometimes overly bright however the features on the sony are pretty cool and i like the picture in picture but when you look at the 46" samsung dlp you will most likely love the picture so check them out for yourself and let us know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Just keep in mind rainbows and headaches from DLPs, so yes, make sure you audition them for a decent amount of time.

Username: Circuit_city

Portland, Or Usa

Post Number: 4
actaully only about 1 in 50 actaully see the rainbow effect but the 3rd and 4th generation of the dlps with samsung has fixed that. so from what i have heard and read that no one is seeing that anymore. whats this about headaches? i watch them all day at work and have yet to get one same for all the guys i work with and the customers i have gotten feed back from also never mentioned anything about that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Sammy hasn't fixed the issue, people still see the rainbows and they will never go away as long as DLP is a one chip design. I and my wife get headaches from watching DLPs, so even if we didn't I wouldn't take the chance that my child or friends and family may develop headaches. So if you have kids or a spouse/girlfriend, take them all to audition the set to verify none get headaches or fatigue. Some don't see rainbows, some do, some get headaches, some do, some get eye fatigue after extended viewing, some don't. All that adds up to a faulty product to me.

Optim
Unregistered guest
Rick,
Your pessimistic views can be applied to ALL the technologies available.
Where are you getting your information from? Every manufacturer has taken huge strides in improving their technologies; be it Sony's LCD displays, JVC's LCOS and yes Samsung DLP's.
Please don't post FALSE information on the industry based on your experience of your wife getting a headache from some model of Samsung she saw at some time in the past.

TM
Unregistered guest
I have had the newe 42" Sony for over a month now after having the 46" Samsung DLP for about 3 weeks. The Samsung made SD signals look waxy and I never did stop trying to tweak the picture every time I changed sources. With the Sony, everything looks great and I never have to adjust the picture. I did see the rainbow on the Samsung but that wasn't what turned me off. It was the poor picture quality. HD looked great on it but SD sucked.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Optim- I'm not sure what nerve I struck but your accusation of my 'false information' is laughable. I'd suggest you do more research before making yourself out to be a blind fool defending your opinion. I get the majority of my information from avsforum.com, Sound & Vision, these boards and personal experience. If you'd like to learn then do some research and read. You'll find out that a fair amount of people see rainbows. Of that amount, some are not bothered, some get headaches, some get eye fatigue from extended viewing. I did my own personal research to find out if I was affected by DLP's limitation. I was. I then did more personal research and had my wife view DLPs to find out if maybe it was just me. It wasn't, she saw no rainbows but did get a headache.

I never said DLP didn't improve their tech, I said they 'hadn't fixed the rainbow/headache issue' and that issue, if you've read and researched, is caused by a single chip design. The last HD3 and HD2+ chips were sped up and even a 7th color element added to the color wheel in strides to reduce rainbows. It did somewhat, but people still see rainbows and suffer from headaches. DLP projectors use 3 chip design and no not produce rainbows and would probably not cause headaches and eye fatigue. However, a 3 chip design is nearly 3 times the cost and the main reason DLP PR sets instead implement a single chip design.

As for your ignorant statement concerning my wife and I's viewing experience it was LG's newest DLP 3 weeks ago after experiencing the same with Sammy's HLP and HLN models.

So you can take your little spat and disapproval of my comments/facts/experience somewhere else. Feel free to rebuttal, but don't show your immaturity by trying to call me out with misinformation.

Unregistered guest
The reason I am here is becuase i puchased a new Zenith 44' LCD. I got a headache the first night. I did a google on LCD's and headaches. It lead me here.
I have gotten one three nights in a row. Has any one else experienced the same and gotten used to it? I set the brightness lower to make better, but dulls the color. I do not see rainbows.

jamescrew
Unregistered guest
Hmmmm, sounds like there are problems with every technology. We have a Mitsu DLP and have not seen rainbows or have experienced any of the physical problems described in the comments made by others. Best advice is to find the tv and the technology that suits you best. Each technology has their own strengths and weaknesses. I've been reading these boards for several months and one thing I've learned is that there are people that love and hate each technology and each tv manufacturer. There is no perfect technology or tv. I am very impressed with my DLP tv and saw weaknesses in the LCD models but that is what I found. Personally, I don't think anyone will be disappointed with a HD tv that uses any of the current technologies. All HD technologies have made major improvements since they were first introduced.

Anonymous

I think Panasonic with the front projector PT AE700U LCD - costing around 2200 dollars - might soon make many debates irrelevant

The "screen door" issue is now gone, its apparently been resolved. As for potential "dead pixils" down the road - it can potentially be a problem with lcd or dlp - but lcd still has one huge advantage at the cheaper levels- there are 3 chips

I am currently getting near IMAX quality via comcast hi def - dvi to hdmi hookups - viewed on 80 inches plus diagonal

using a simple table mount TOTAL COST for everything with new 92 inch 16:9 tripod Elite screen will be about 2500 dollars, inluding monster cable

In the past - i have wires,switches,tuners costing that much

This is breakthrough technology at rock bottom prices

Unregistered guest
I purchased the 44" Zenith lcd, and I am very dis-satisfied with it. I bought it new 30 days ago, and I am already having to get someone out to work on it. The screen at all times, looks like you are looking through a screen that goes on a window. Is there a way to fix this problem, or is this just how it is. The only reason I bought this TV, is because I put it in a TV nook above the fireplace and it fits perfect. If you are looking to purchase this tv, DON'T!

Unregistered guest
I bought the Zenith 44 lcd too in Sept 04, and yes you are right it DOES SUCK. It's been in an authorized zenith peice of crap shop, called Galllergers electronis since dec 4, 2004 and I still do not have it back yet today Jan 2 2005. I called BEST BUY, because I bought the warranty scam and they could careless how bad this TV is, and how long it takes to gt it back. I say don't buy this TV, don't buy at Best buy, and NEVER, send your TV to Galleger, they just top of the worst TV with sick service.

Username: Ben1db

Post Number: 2
When I looked at both I thought the LCD looked just as good. The negatives convinced me to go with DLP (you want the HD2+ chip). The LCD's can have a pixel failure in which a small spot can go dead and from what I gather, not repairable. There is a big rumur going around that Sony is going to announce they are giving up LCD in Feb but only a rumur at this point. I live in Dallas and son-in-law is an engineer who spoke with TI engineer who claims Mitsubishi get more out of the same HD2+ chip than the others. They have a seven sided color wheel vs others who have a 6 sided at best (beyond me really??). Read reviews on cnet.com for best info.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us