HDTV question!!

Username: Nelson

Post Number: 1
So, we just got a HDTV and dont have any actual HD signals yet. We are just having normal digital cable and a dvd player hooked up with typical rca cables.

My question is why does the quality actually seem worse then an average tv. My normal tv gets better picture quality then the HDTV does. Is HDTV only good for HD signals, and not supposed to display normal signals??

Diamond Member
Username: Ecoustics

Fairfax, VA USA

Post Number: 185
Yes, regular TV signals -- also know as standard definition TV -- can look so-so on HDTVs.

Here is why? I bet your new HDTV is larger than your old TV? When your HDTV is fed a low resolution (standard definition) picture, there are not enough picture elements (lines of resolution) to completely fill-in every HDTV pixel. So the HDTV has to add-in or predict extra pixels (lines) to make the picture fill your screen. This process is called scaling and de-interlacing, commonly referred to as line doubling. Some HDTVs handle this process better than others.

It is not uncommon to hear the problem you report, eventhough DVDs and HD-content will look spectacular on your HDTV.

Lastly, make sure you have the optimal video connections into your HDTV. Either HDMI, DVI or component.

Steven Malvo
Unregistered guest
"Is HDTV only good for HD signals, and not supposed to display normal signals??"

Actually, yes. These displays are made for digital signals. Does not have to be hi def though, works great with 480 digital signals that are broadcast all day long in many areas then turn into hi def at night. They are not really made for analog signals especially the highly compressed ones from cable and satellite. Same for vcr, analog looks bad. However, they are made for dvd, just make sure you use decent component cables,not composite, and that your dvd player is set on progressive output. Then you will see a big improvement on dvd from your regular tv.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us