Tosh 62HMX94 vs. Mits 62725 vs. Sony KDF60XS955

Username: Arlin

Post Number: 5
Looking for a good ~60" RPTV. Narrowed it down to these 3. All with integrated HDTV & CableCard.

Toshiba 62HMX94 (HD2+ DLP)
2 HDMI
2 Firewire
Heard reports of ghosting on HDMI...

Mitsubishi 62725 (HD2+ DLP)
1 HDMI
3 Firewire
Not-so-great antiglare, but screen can be removed.

Sony KDF60XS955 (3 chip LCD)
2 HDMI
0 FireWire
Worst contrast ratio. Best view angle (I think)

I was also considering the JVC H-DILA, but not sure if the 62" with integrated HDTV is available yet, plus it is more expensive.

Any suggestions? What are your experiences comaring these 3?

Thanks

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
arlin, i'm also considering the 62hmx94. i saw some posts on another forum but i think most of them were on the 84 series. several people said they have no seen it on the 94's. i have a man who is going to call toshiba tech support monday and see what he can find out. i'll post what i find out.

Username: Arlin

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the info. Please do keep me informed.

Doug guest
Unregistered guest
I just got a Toshiba 62HMX84 yesterday, so have limited experience with it. Initially I was going to get a Samsung HLP5674W, but decided against it when they changed specs. On the web, I read a couple accounts of people who compared the 2 TVs and said the Toshiba was better, perhaps because it has a faster image processor.

I got the TV without its remote control, so had to use another remote with limited capabilities. I can't alter color, contrast, etc. Using a DVD source, the picture is spectacular. Using a Dish network source, pictures are very good from many sources, but other sources, such as low light images, have a greenish tinge. It seems to depend on the camera and illumination and is probably not a TV problem. I need the proper remote to explore this issue more.

In a few days I may have more information.

Doug guest
Unregistered guest
As an update to my last message, I set the progressive scan mode from off to on. That seems to have removed the greenish cast that I mentioned.

My setup is a Dishnet receiver going through a Go Video DVD/VCR which is connected to the TV with a 3 component video cable and 2 component audio cable.

Unregistered guest
I am interested in this product.....the more info the better. I will likely purchase in the next several days.....do you like what you see. Was it hard to install?

Doug guest
Unregistered guest
So far I am happy with the 62HMX84. I only receive SD signals from Dish Network, so they are not as good as pictures from a DVD. I may upgrade to get HD from Dish. Shrek II is very nice on the TV. It seems to me to be as good as a plasma TV, but I haven't seen the two side by side.

The only problem I have now is then when I go to mute, the text messages do not appear. I had it working at one point, but it is not working now, so I must have some setting wrong.

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
doug, sounds like you have the closed caption turned off when mute is on. ck menu for setup

Doug guest
Unregistered guest
tnbubba

That is not the problem. I have it on C1 and have tried all other CC options. Also I notice that MTS is set on mono and I can't change it to stereo. The two problems are probably related, but I am at a loss on how to fix it. I wrote Toshiba and am awaiting a reply.

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
doug, you don't have some lock feature where a child can't change settings do you? just a suggestion.

AT
Unregistered guest
How do you think the picture will look with a comcast digital signal?

Username: Rddesq

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a Toshiba 62HMX94. I have it hooked up to Directv with the HD package via an RCA box and Comcast cable with the HD package using a cable card. The HD pictures are spectacular and everything works great. The only issues are the following:
1. The Directv RCA box has component video connecting and DVI but not HDMI. The Toshiba has every type of connection except DVI. So I am connected via component video which provides a great HD picture but I would have liked to use the DVI or HDMI since I understand those are higher quality connections. No biggy though since the picture is awsome as it is.
2. When I am watch the Comcast Cable I don't have the on-screen guide which I understand is only available when you use a Comcast set top box as opposed the cable card. That's ok though. The biggest problem and the one I would like some help with is the Toshiba Remote. When watching cable and I push the channel up and down to surf the channels the delay between tuning in a new channel is got to be 4 to 5 seconds. This seems extrodinary long and is very frustrating. When watching Directv and using that remote the channels change bang, bang, bang like you are used to but the Toshiba remote on cable is horrible. Does anyone have any idea why the remote is so slow?

Username: Rwhite

Rancho Cucamonga, California Usa

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a Toshiba52hmx94. So far the picture quality is great. I do have the same problem as described above. In HD it takes 4-5 seconds to change channel. I also contacted Toshiba about On screen tv guide that does not work. Toshiba informed me they were aware of the problem and the fix was going to be downloaded through the cable service in the next three weeks.

Username: Hampersnow

Post Number: 8
i am interested in the 52 or 62 inch toshibas models and would appreciate anyone with these to keep us updated on how well they work. i mainly want one for DVD's. My player is a progressive scan panasonic with component out only ,no DVI or HDMI.any AUDIO SYNC problems? (my dvd player is also the stereo for the 5 channel surround sound )

Username: Rddesq

Post Number: 6
This updates my previous posts as I have now had my Tosh 62HMX94 for 3 weeks on Friday. First, the HD picture is simply amazing. It's my first HD tv so I have nothing to compare but I am very impressed. The problems I had with slow channel change on comcast cable and then loss of the HD video but keeping audio all were cured when I dumped the cable card and got the comcast provided scientific atlanta STB. Everything works perfect and I think the cable card was the entire problem. Also, with the STB you get the cable on-screen guide which is not available with one-way cable cards. Bottom line: stay away from cable cards until they work the bugs out. I highly recommend the Toshiba.

GrandMaster
Unregistered guest
My 52hm94 arrives today (sitting here waiting on the delivery truck to arrive). I'll get it all set up today and reply back tonight with my initial thoughts.

Doug H
Unregistered guest
I have had my 62HMX84 for 3 weeks also and the picture is very good even though all my signal inputs are SD. Colors are brilliant and I have it in "Movie", "Film", and "Theaterwide 1" settings. Shrek 2 is very nice on the TV.

The problem with the lack of close captions persists (it worked soon after I first got it) and I haven't retrieved the settings that allow it, but it is not too important. The second problem of mono output vs stereo output does not occur if I run a CD - the stereo output is clear. I think the setting problems may be originating with my VCR and not with the TV.

It is a good TV and I recommend it.

(Formerly Doug guest in earlier posts.)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
thank you to all of the above for your experiences with the Toshibas.i am very interested in seeing a DVD blown up to 62 inches.i am undecided on the 52 or 62 ,and will be sitting 12 feet away. would love to read more on how DVDs look ,and what i can expect.

GrandMaster
Unregistered guest
Theatrewide 1 is for stretching a 4:3, the manual says to use full for a 16:9 DVD. Although Theatrewide 2 fills the full screen on a 16:9 movie...

Just watched Spiderman, picture is amazing looking. Very nice. I'm going to pick up the rear surround sound speakers right now and get those hooked up for LOTR's tonight.

I have the TV in my bedroom (master bed room) and I'm about 10-12 feet from the screen. This TV is huge, I can't even imagine a 62 incher! The total width of the 52 is just a hair under 59" across. It's a biggin'.

I got my TV from buydig.com, they had it last week for only $2618, with free shipping! They raised the price this week to $2700 I see though. Still one hell of a deal for a brand new 52hm94.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
grandmaster ,thank you for posting.

GrandMaster
Unregistered guest
Just finished watching I Robot (with my surround sound hooked up), absolutely flawless. Very glad I bought this TV!!

Doug H
Unregistered guest
Charles,

If you are sitting 12 feet away, my guess is that 52 is better than 62.

In my case, the TV is in a large room and sometimes I stand about 30 feet away and watch it.

Bronze Member
Username: Angelog

Post Number: 49
TV Size.

I am sitting about 11'-12' from the set and I was thinking about going to 61", but went with the 52" JVC and I am very glad that I didn't go any larger.

52" is just right for this distance.

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
thank you all for your advice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us