Philips 30PW850H

Craig Cyphers
Unregistered guest
Good afternoon.

Anyone here have the Philips 30PW850H HD Widescreen? Am looking for something that will fit into my exisiting entertainment center and this looks like it might fill the bill. Anyone have any opinions or real world use of this model?

Thanks for the help.

Fab 5
Unregistered guest
For a little under eight hundred dollars available at Costco, this tv rocks. I've had one for awhile. It's kinda heavy, but not that bad. Make sure your stand can hold it. you can't beat the picture, and best of all, it's a widescreen that is hd ready!

Craig Cyphers
Unregistered guest
Thanks Fab. I've currently got a 32" JVC regular stereo TV (about 2-3 years old). I'm just wondering if I'll be disappointed by going with a 30" set. My wife wants to keep the entertainment center, but that can only hold something that is 36" wide (that's total width). Seems like everyone is very pleased with the Philips (that's what i've read in other opinions). I think going to a 30" from a 32" won't be that big of an issue as it is actually a widescreen as compared to square.

Fab 5
Unregistered guest
you could always get a new center and get the 34" Philips if you want that extra size :-)

The Anti - Bob
Unregistered guest
If you can find the Phillips link, they are selling the 30" 850 for $600 including shipping righ now. It is a "refurb" so take that for what it's worth.

Fab 5
Unregistered guest
Best buy just dropped the price on the 30" to $799 as well.

Robert A
Unregistered guest
I recently read review of the Phillips 30PW850H on Epinions.com The following was written by a reviewer:

"Now that I've had the TV for a month, I can tell you about the drawbacks I've found.

1) the aspect selector feature does not work with 480p component video input. When you're watching 480p ("progressive scan") component input from a DVD or VCR, the TV always fills the entire screen with it. It that's a 4:3 program (which it frequently is), it will be stretched horizontally very noticeably. Switching the aspect control on the DVD player has no effect. I have two DVD players, and the TV has the same issue with both. The work-around for this is to connect both the component and composite video output from the DVD to the TV's A/V 1 input jacks. When watching a 4:3 program, or a program in any format other than 16:9, I select the composite input, and then the TV's aspect ratio selector works. When watching 16:9, I can use component input without stretching.

2) the remote control does not work with my JVC HR-S3901U VCR, nor with my Coby DVD-515 player. I tried all the listed codes, and also the "code search" feature, with no joy. I've also tried it with a Pioneer DVD player, and no luck there either. So, the remote isn't very universal. I'm looking for a good universal remote now, but I fear I won't find one that gives me all the features of the TV's own remote.

3) The TV tuner is rather slow to change channels. Of all the TV's I've owned, this is the slowest by far, taking approximately 1-2 seconds each time I put the channel up or down button."

Can anyone verify the same issues with the Phillips and the progressive scan components.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us