RCA DLP HDTV

Username: 18c

Post Number: 1
i am about to purchase an RCA DLP TV this coming wednesday when it occured to me i know very little about either of teh 2 technologies.. and i could not get any straigh answers form the salesmen.. so i was hoping that som of you may be able to help me/...

1)my first question is: Since im buying this television and it is a DLP televisionis it an HDTV televion? what i mean by this is does it use a high deffinition signal.. or does teh DLP chip create a HDTV signal. IM having a hard time to figure out how to word thisi question .. i guess what im trying to aak is what is teh differance between the DLP TV and the HDTV .. is it just an HDTV with added DLP technology? or is it a DLP TV with simulated HD resolution?

My next question is if it is an HDTV with a built in tuner, do i still need to get a hd box from my directv or cable provider.. some people have told me i dont.. and some including teh cable and directv peopel have said that i do..

Username: 18c

Post Number: 2
can anyone help?

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
tom, let's have some model numbers. then we'll be able to know what we're dealing with.

Kylez
Unregistered guest
Tom, there are several types of HDTV's. DLP which is a Texas Instruments chip with reflective mirrors, ( Digital Light Processing )is just one of the ways to create an image. There are several other parts, but to make it easy the chip has 720 X 1280 mirrors. This is the HDTV Native resolution. Higher resolution chips are coming that equal over 1 million total pixels. This is 1 of the 4 or so types of rear projection HDTV's. You can get an LCD rear projection a LCOS ( Liquid Crystal on Silicon), they say is a cross between the DLP and LCD technologies, then you have the old style CRT. I think is is CRT or the type that has 3 different lights reflecting the 3 colors to mix together to make a picture. They say the new DLP, LCD and LCOS do not get burn in from leaving a picture like a video game on too long. Find what looks the best to you and make sure it has all the features and inputs outputs that you want. I have been looking and have not found one I like yet. When the TV says it is a MONITOR that means the HDTV tuner is not built in. When it says HDTV that means it has a built in HDTV tuner for over the air broadcast, (FREE) HDTV with a regular UHF antenna. No need to pay extra to SAT or Cable Company if you have a good signal at your house. OK I think that is enough for now, I will sit back and read all the corrections that others will make on what I have told you. Have a fun shopping experience. Kyle Z
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us