Pansonic DMR-E85

Unregistered guest
I am interested in this dvr, but have noted that there are two model numbers: dmr-e85h and dmr-e85hs. Does anyone know what the difference between the -e85h and -e85hs is? Is one Region 1 only and the other "all regions" or is one newer than the other? I've also seen 'variable bit rate' recording associated with them, but I can't tell if it's unique to one or is on both of them as I recall I have seen it associated with both of them, albeit inconsistently, in the information I have seen.

Panasonic sheds no light (they have it as the -e85hs at their website) and posted specs I have seen do not reveal the difference, if any. My local Best Buy sells the -h and the local Sound Advice (Tweeter's) sells the -hs for $100 more.
Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
The hs denotes a silver exterior, otherwise they are identical.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
Thanks. I had wondered if that might be the case. Not to be stubborn, however, I have not seen a unit of a different color (black or whatever) in any of the pictures I have seen that claim to be the -h. They have all been silver in appearance. Is it possible there is some other difference?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Is it possible there is some other difference?

It is possible that pigs may someday fly. It is possible that we all dreamed that President Bush won the election. It is possible that I will marry Paris Hilton. But it is not possible that there is any material difference between the two models.

What is most likely is that they are both HS models and one store is simply not advertising the corrrect model. Another possibility is this is commonly used to stop price matching. Tweeters likes to avoid price matching when at all possible.

Also you could avoid all the trouble and drive to both stores. I guarantee you they will both be silver and both be identical. Also they both have VBR features.

xvxvxvx

Username: R1t1joby

Post Number: 8
And you have the nerve to talk about me being rude ???

Still think you're tuned in to Channel 3 ???

roflol !

Unregistered guest
xvxvxvx I appreciate your thoughts but I am convinced you are wrong. I have gone to both stores. The Best Buy store does not have a unit out to see. They have one -HS unit on the shelf (at least the shelf sticker says thats what it is - I didn't look physically on the unit to confirm) but have a stack of -H units on the shelf and on the floor. The model number on the BOX clearly states that. DMR-E85H. NOT -HS. This is what started me down this path to begin with.

As I stated previously, panasonic does not show a -H on their web site, but the boxes (stack of 10+) at Best Buy clearly shows they exist. Until I see the -H unit out of the box to confirm it is black and not silver, I am lead to believe there is a difference between the two.

Part of what puzzles me about all of this is not being able to find any information that I can tell is specific to the -h on the net. This confusion is fueled by the fact that there are many references to the -h by article/review title, but the body of the reference now shows -hs. It's somewhat like the -h came first and all of the articles/reviews have been changed to reflect -hs, as if it just came out and the person forgot to fix the title of the review/article, just changed the body of the article only.

If anybody besides xvxvxvx would care to weigh in and shed some light on this, it would be appreciated. I know I am probably beating this to death, but I would rather get a unit with any new features/benefits instead of an older unit that may be less capable. The price is high enough to justify some effort to find out.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Mountainman did you ignore my comment about different model numbers used to stop a price matching ad?

Good luck in your quest but you are wrong about there being any functional differences between the two units.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
No xvxvxvx I did not ignore your comment about price matching. I am pretty sure this is not what is going on. The BOX at Best Buy had only one model number on it, the -h. Just about everything else I have seen has -hs. Why would there be panasonic boxes with -h model numbers on them if the product did not exist? Why would panasonic ath their website, and just about everything else, have -hs on them if the -hs did not exist?

There is an obvious disconnect here somewhere. Essentially what you propose is that the -h is myth, yet this is belied by the fact that the BOXES EXIST. There is an answer somewhere.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Essentially what you propose is that the -h is myth, yet this is belied by the fact that the BOXES EXIST. There is an answer somewhere.

You have completely misunderstood my premise. I never once said the H model does not exist. I said it is identical to the HS model. How much more clear can I be?

xvxvxvx

Username: Janetanna

Pa Usa

Post Number: 1
i got a 55' tv and bought a panasonic vhs-dvd recorder dmr-e75v. how do i hook it up? i can't get no channels on my tv (digital box).

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Username: Janetanna

Pa Usa

Post Number: 2
anyone help please? dmr-e75v dvd-vhs recorder
panasonic. i hooked it up but noow i don't get cable digital. now, i hooked it up and it runs but not on tv. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
plus can't copy to cd

Maneshita
Unregistered guest
William Nasko,

How did you connect between Digital Cable box and e75V?
connected to Line in or RF in of e75v?
If its connected Line in then you need to change e75V's input to Line in.
If you connected by RF then you need to set e75V's channel to whatever channel you used to used on TV before you setup e75V.
(Usually ch 2 or 3)
Then you also need to change the channel of TV to L1 or channel 2 or 3 depends on the setup...

By the way I don't know any Pana DVD-recorder writes to CD...

Unregistered guest
hi I have a panasonic DMR-85H which is silver not black if that helps anyone out there i have a question though is it possable to crack this so u can copy dvd films because of the copy right u cant anyone have any ideas

Subbz
Unregistered guest
I've just bought an 85H too, and it IS silver.
And yeah I'd be most interested in a firmware to remove the CPRM too for backing up the odd favorite dvd.

Username: Venik

Ny, Ny

Post Number: 1
I have a different problem with a DMR E85: It faills to download the TV guide. I am in NYC, and my digital cable is from Time Warner. I hooked the box to the L3 input, as the manual suggested.

dave from Dublin Ireland
Unregistered guest
Hi
I just purchased the DMR E85 but am unable to tune in the TV stations. I am told that the machine only has a UHF tuner while most of the channels here in Ireland are located on VHF. The shop said I would have to use a video player to tune in the channels and then rig this up to the dvd recorder

any help/advice would be much appreciated
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us