ATSC and QAM tuners

Username: Chach

Post Number: 1
Can anyone tell me what this is? I bought a toshiba 52hm94 and was wondering if i still need a hd converter box to receive hd even though i have this technology. the cable company says yes but then what's the point of integrated hd?

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
you'll need a hd box or cable card from you're cable co to get hd. the integrated tuner means it would pick up hd over the air antenna from local channels if you're city is broadcasting in hd. i believe this correct.

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
how do you like the hm94? how does the speaker system sound? are you satisfied with the picture? i'm considering the 62" and would appreciate amy feedback on the set. thanks.

Post Number: 2
I love it!! the regular cable doesn't comein good at all but the hd looks awesome. we have it hooked up to surroung sound so it sounds greaat too.

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
that concerns me on the regular cable channels since the majority of the things watched are on it now.can you be more specific on "not good at all?" if you do just use the tv speakers, were they pretty good? any other info will be greatly appreciated. thanks. by the way did you use set top box or cablecard for your hd?

Post Number: 3
Our cable company said you had to use the converter box for HD. The card was for digital cable which comes through on the box anyway. By not good at all I mean a lot of pixelization. Yes the speakers are great even without the surround.

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
i would talk to a supervisor on the card. some of these people you talk to don't know much about the card. they want you to keep the box so you can get the ppv movies and spend more money. the card is supposed to pick up hd.i'd check again that way you can use your pip like it's supposed to be. do the speakers out to the side distract you or do you like that ok. i've read that to be an issue with some people. i went and looked at one at bb today and saw what they meant.each to his own i guess.but you are satisfied withe the picture overall correct?
thanks for your feedback.

Unregistered guest
Why is it necessary to get the hm94 over the hm84 if you still have to get a HD box, whether it is direct tv's or your local cable provider's.

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
k, the hm94 has the built in hd tuner and cable card slot. if the cable card would work like it is supposed to the you would not need the box just to receive.not all functions are available with the card. it is one way. can't order ppv, movies, etc. it also has a few more upgrades, but if you are going to use a stb or dtv then it might not be worth difference.

Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 6
ATSC (OTA):
Advanced Television System Committee

QAM (Cable):
Quadrature Amplitude Modulation

Too bad they couldn't agree on ONE stanard.

" the regular cable doesn't comein good at all but the hd looks awesome"
Yep, join the club most SD looks poor on ALL Microdisplays and for that matter most HD sets!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us