KF50WE610 - Sony 50" Grand Wega Question

Username: Lmbear

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I just bought the Sony 50" Grand Wega and so far I am very happy with it. I was alarmed yesterday when I went to best buy to buy some cable and spoke to the salesperson. He was telling me about the problems they have been having with the bulbs blowing within the first couple of weeks. I just wanted to see if anyone bought this set and if so, have you had any problems? I bought the TV directly from Sony and just have the limited warranty that Sony offers. I just found out that the extended warranty is going to cost me $519. Whoah.

Please let me know .

Thanks.

Larry

Username: Project6

Post Number: 125
I have heard of the bulb issues and apparently, Sony is replacing them for free but they are currently short on replacement parts...so that should tell you something. If it came from Sony, then give them a call and see if the bulb issue has been resolved.

Username: Lmbear

Post Number: 4
Yeah. I was kind of hoping that since this set is so new they may have resolved the past problems. I will have to look into it.

Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 14
Larry- this thread explains a lot.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/5944.html

Username: Project6

Post Number: 130
that is a shame,though. i have seen the Sony's and the picture is really nice, I'mjust not ready for plasma or lcd just yet. I'm still waiting for better technology and longer than 10 year lifespan. For that much money the darn thing had better last a lifetime.
cheers

Username: Itzbinnice

Post Number: 14
Berny,
If you wait too long, life will pass you by.
Does the 20,000 car you buy last a lifetime, I don't think so. Everything in perspective, let's face it we are living in a throw away society.
I have a 17" Sony Trinitron from 1973 that's still working, those days are long gone and won't ever come back. Repairman these days have to be schooled in rocket science to fix these overly complicated technologies thrust upon us these days. No longer do they replace a tube or transistor to fix the problem, it's an entire circuit board that costs 1/3 the TV's value.
The picture quality has improved tremendously, but like everything else, at a price.
Just my thoughts on the subject, for I too would love to buy something that lasts a lifetime, it just ain't gonna happen.

Unregistered guest
The bulb issue is the least of SONYs problems. The other problem with this set is that it just stops turning on. 3 weeks after shelling out $4000 for this TV, it stopped working. This is a well known problem with this tv (I wish I had researched it before I bought). Sony is aware of the problem and refuses to pull the unit off of shelves.

Unregistered guest
Sony denies that there is any problem at all with the "Grand Wega" (I suggest it be called the Grand Vega in honor of the 70's Chevy which was of equal quality).
The following is there online "help" response to my question about why my $4000 tv stopped working after 3 weeks:
Mark Smith,

Thank you for contacting SONY Online Support.

Sony has not released any official announcement acknowledging any backlight failure issues about the Sony KF-42WE610/KF-50WE510/KF-60WE610 Televisions. These products are not known by Sony to be defective in any way and we are not aware of a problem. Sony does not address any comments
published on, or quoted from a non-Sony website.

However, if you are experiencing a backlight failure problem, we recommend that you have the unit evaluated and/or repaired by one of these methods:

As your projection television is within the warranty period, you may call the SONY Customer Information and Services Center at:

1 (800) 282-2848

Mon - Fri: 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. (EST)

Sat & Sun: 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. (EST)

Once your television is outside of the manufactured warranty period we recommend that you have the unit evaluated and/or repaired at one of our SONY Factory Service Centers or one of our SONY Authorized Service Centers.

The location of your nearest SONY Factory Service Center, as well as any local SONY Authorized Service Centers are available at URL:

http://www.sel.sony.com/service/plsql/rma.inquiry

Simply enter your product model, date of purchase and zip code. Then click the SEARCH button.

If you have further questions regarding our flat rate service plans, directions to the SONY Factory Service Center, hours of operation, etc., you may call the SONY Customer Information and Services Center at the number provided above.

IMPORTANT: Should you choose to have your product serviced at one of our SONY Authorized Service Centers, please be advised that these locations are independently owned and operated. Any estimated repair costs quoted on our service locator site do not apply at your local SONY Authorized Service Center.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

The SONY Internet Group
Online Support and Services Center
SSKP

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of intended recipients. They may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachments associated therewith from your computer. Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated

Unregistered guest
I have decided to see a psychiatrist. Since Sony, a name we have all learned to trust, emphatically denies that there is any problem with the 610 Series Grand Wega, the large, blank, expensive 3 week old screen in front of me must be a hallucination. This is actually a blessing, since psychiatrists are cheaper than tv repairmen.

Anonymous

i have decided not to buy a rear projection tv, but will buy a front projection tv instead. (the bulbs are easier to change.) check out projectorcentral.com and you'll be surprised to find that you don't need a shrink at all !!!

RobW
Unregistered guest
Mark: these TV's not turning on IS the bulb issue (i.e. the bulbs fails and you get the red LED but nothing else)
Supposedly they have redesigned the BULB.

Anonymous: good for you, now you'll need a TV tuner (although cable box will do), a large screen, and a room where you can control the ambient light level so sunlight doesn't overwhelm it.

Unregistered guest
Rob,
The tv not turning on is sometimes, but not always, the bulb issue. There are 2 problems with the Sony. The first is the bulb issue. This is minor and can be fixed by changing the design/vendor of the bulb. The more significant problem is the LIGHT ENGINE. This is basically the entire electronic guts of the tv. Although this problem is not as common as the bulb problem, it is still common enough to be a serious problem. It is not fixed by changing the bulb. An entire circuit board must be replaced. You will see allusions to this if you do an internet search. This is the problem I have with my Sony. My bulb is fine. Sony has redesigned the entire light engine in these models, and has started putting them in units shipped as of this month, but that doesn't do you any good if you bought a unit built before 2/2004. My set was built in 1/2004.

RobW
Unregistered guest
Mark,
Sorry to hear your pain. I am not familiar with the light engine problems. I seem to be one of the lucky few who has had a 60" since 12/4/03 and have had no problems. I hope your therapy goes well.

Unregistered guest
Rob,
Sony has been of absolutely no help in this. In fact, they have been downright frustrating. The Sony serviceman who came to look at my set said I should hold out for a Hitachi, which is what he bought. He said he NEVER gets a service call on Hitachi. My dealer, HH Gregg has been helpful and supportive. They have offered me a new TV which I have accepted. Hopefully, it will be one of the new ones. Maybe I'm nuts, but I've taken them up on it. I still like the looks of the Sony best. If I have to return it again, I'll get the Hitachi.

Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me the width and height of the screen on the KF-50WE610? Sony tells me to contact dealers, but I haven't found one on display at the several stores I went to.

I've heard that they're coming back into production again, so maybe they'll be on display again shortly.

If you can provide an answer for me, please send it to my email address:

DodgerCollector@AdvancedBroadband.com.

Thanks,
Alan

RobW
Unregistered guest
the screen on a 50" measures about 24.5" tall by 43.7"wide.
the entire unit is 54.25"x36.5"x17.75"
goto Sony and search documents by the model # if you want more info
http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/sosdocs/default.asp?src=sonysupport

Bronze Member
Username: Avman

Kansas City, MO US

Post Number: 13
Lets talk about sony they do not make any of there own products. the only piece of electronic i will sell of theres is the direct view crt TVs,

last year they had a huge recall on there projection TV on the CRT gun, This year its the LCD TV, when will it end.

And you cant find them anywhere because they dont ship them to retialer fast and they never get to them when they are meant too.

They need to caught up before the move on.

Username: Jags

Raleigh, Nc Us

Post Number: 2
Everyone seems to be on the same page. I can tell you after selling this tv for the past couple of months and then dealing with the same customers once the tv breaks i am not a happy person with sony right now. The bad part is that sony is telling most people it could be upwards of 6 months before they can get the replacement parts for the tv. But here is the shady thing, they are still selling the dang thing. if i were a paying customer i would demand they gut one of those new ones and give me the parts i need but from what i hear they refuse to do that. just another reason to see why the sony name is going down the toilet.

Bronze Member
Username: Avman

Kansas City, MO US

Post Number: 16
Thank kyle I been selling this tv since last year when they where making the 50 & 60 XBR.

and i would prefer the customer to buy it some where alse so i dont have to deal with these usues.

Ive tryed to talk them out of it but they just got there mind set that this is the best tv in the world, if they still want it i just tell them how far they are back ordered, and they usualy just walk out not knowing everyone else is having the same problem having stock.

grrcrusher
Unregistered guest
Sounds like I'm having the same problem as everyone, I just bought on of the KF-50WE610's last week, it was manufactured 2/2004 and I'm having a problem with it taking forever to turn on. Sometimes it takes 2-5 blinks of the green light, and sometimes it blinks until it starts blinking red. Any suggestions, I've waited a long time for a large screen, but don't want to waste thousands of dollars?? I have a tech coming out to check it out, is there a fix or should I just take it back??

Matt

Eric
Unregistered guest
Seems like everyone is having similar problems with their Sony LCD tv's.I purchased a KF-50WE610 back in Dec. and received it a month later.I thought I was lucky since it was built in Jan.2004 but for the past two months I get this buzzing sound when I turn it on and there's been a couple times where it's taken several seconds for the picture to come on.I haven't called it in since the tv has been turning on.I bought the extended warranty from Circuit City because I had heard of some problems with the tv's.So what do you guys think,is my tv the next victim of Sony's gremlins.
Eric

Bronze Member
Username: Jags

Raleigh, Nc Us

Post Number: 17
Lets hope not eric but your covered if it is.

grrcrusher
Unregistered guest
I haven't had any buzzing sounds, the good thing is under the CC extended plan if they have to fix the problem twice and it fails again they have to replace it with the same product or the equivlent.

Eric
Unregistered guest
Well everyone, it happened.That Sunday evening the dreaded red lamp light started blinking.I tried about ten times to turn on the TV but to no luck.I called the Circuit City customer service and they contracted a couple of repair people to come out last Thursday.They replaced the lamp assembly and some other modication from Sony.The TV seems to turn on fine now but I did hear the buzzing noise once when I turned on the TV but I haven't heard it again.Hope this is the last problem I have with this TV.

Steven
Unregistered guest
Hey everyone, I bought the 42" back in November 2003 (was lucky to only wait 2 weeks for delivery!)and it worked great for about 2 weeks. Then it all started...blinking red light, buzzing noise...and then nothing. So, I called the store where I bought it,(not Sony, but authorized dealer) they called Sony, who called their contract repairman. He came within 1 week of my initial call. He replaced two capacitors and one resistor, and put in a new bulb. Was about 1.5hrs worth of repair but was covered under the Sony warranty. Haven't had one problem since then and love the TV.

Anonymous

I was told I needed to have my power supply board replace on my SOny FD Trinitron WEGA: KV-36XBR400...One AM the tv stopped turing on it would make the usual kajunk sound when it is booted up, but then nothing...and the LED light was still glowing. I was told that the replacement/repair would be 525$. Is this right?

Username: Enigma

Sun valley , Ca Usa

hey,

i just bought a sony grand wega 50" (KF50WE610) as well. and im getting a lot of mixed reviews of the damn thing. can someone tell me if it was a good investment or not? another question i have is how good is the picture quality if i just have regular cable, and not satellite or digital cable. i've used my sony dream system to play a dvd with the grand wega, the quality is okay. maybe im just used to watchin from a tube. anyways does anyone have any recommendations on settings for the tv for better picture quality and if this is a good investment.
thanx

Anonymous

I purchased KF50we610 in nov 03. 1 month later, bulb blew out. Had to get it replaces. Now, 4 months later, green light blinks for awhile, and sometimes tv turns on, and sometimes red lamp light comes on. The times that the red lamp light comes on, I've noticed a faint buzzing/sparking type noise which lasts a second or two. It comes from the bulb area, and usually repeats after about 5 seconds. Don't know what the sound is. There seem to be enough accounts that this is obviously a common and wide problem. This will be a big problem after the warranty period is over. Seems like there needs to be an organized effort at documenting how many people are having a problem, and consider some type of legal action against sony. Any feedback on this?

Mikehaugh
Unregistered guest
Purchase a KF50we610 unit manufactured in October 2003 November of 2003 and the bulb blew late March 20O4. Sony overnighted a bulb at their expense and I replaced with no difficulty. The list price for the new bulb is $200 which is a packaged module consisting of the actual bulb with a connector assembly mounted in a modular cage. I would like to find a source for the bulb only and possibly save a few buck when I have to actually buy the bulb. Seems I saw some info regarding life of the bulb which is a only 1000 hours, not necessarily a lot of time.

NS
Unregistered guest
As many have posted here my Sony KF-50WE610 quit working this week. I had hoped that since mine was already 5 months old that maybe I would be one of what seems to be very few that would avoid the dreaded lamp problems.

Well, it didn't happen. 5 months and 3 days after I purchased the KF-50WE610 I got the dreaded buzz, flashing lights, and red lamp light.

I was very much expecting to run into hassles with BB regarding getting this fixed, but much to my suprise it was very easy. I called their 800 number and was told it was no problem that pretty much everything was covered except for me hitting it with a baseball bat. They said that they would fax an order to a local authorized Sony repair center.

Well, today they came to fix, or so I thought. When I got the call from them saying they were on the way to my house to fix it I hurried home only to find out that they were taking it back to the shop to work on it. URG! They didn't even put it in a protected box. Just carried out to the truck, wrapped a padded blanket around it and strapped it to the side of the truck and off they went. Won't be fixed until next week!! I sure hope they don't dent, scratch, or F#$@ anything else up!!

I tried to talk to them and ask questions about what the problem was, what they had to fix, etc. I'm pretty sure my dog can say more words than they did. I did get something about them having to replace a resistor on the board otherwise this would keep happening.

My frustration really lies in the fact that I bought an 'In Home' extended warranty. Doesn't that mean they come to your home and fix it? Not come to your home and take it away?

Anyone else had similiar thing happen? Anybody have their KF-50WE610 scratched or dented by the repair guy? I assume that if that happens BB will replace it.

Just ranting! I appriciate any comments.

ZT
Unregistered guest
I have KF50WE610 and posted message as "anonymuos" on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:17 pm. I have found an interesting thing. I have the same sounding bulb problem with my tv. The green light flashes, TV make a buzzing sound for about 3 seconds, quiets for about 15 seconds, makes buzzing sound again for a few seconds, cycles another time sometimes before red lamp light comes on. I have found over the past few times that happened, if I unplug the TV and remove the bulb (see instruction manual) and simply reinstall it, the TV works. Also of note, The bulb assembly feels warm to touch, and near the electrical contacts there is a smell of ozone. Not sure what that means... bulb problem or circuit problem. by the way, repair person supposed to come in 2 days (monday)... will update

Unregistered guest
Sony model KF50SX200 serial number S 1502125 C.

After looking at all the correspondence regarding Sony Tv's 50inch. It seems to be in the USA & Canada etc.
Well I purchased a Sony KF50SX200 on the 17/10/2003 for the total cost of £3113.73p, in the UK..
After about 1000 hours Can you guess??? The bulb as ceased to work(broke) on the 17/3/04, the repairman has been to fix (bulb out of stock) when will fix ????still waiting. 4/4/04
So contact Sony they say not there problem contact my retailer, contact retailer, they say contact repair people, contact Sony again saying ok sell me a bulb it would be quicker than the repair man, no problem, they give me a number to ring , rang them, out of stock cost £275.28p warranty three months. I have come to the conclusion that in the owners manual it tells you how to change the bulb, and even supplies you with an Alan key, That they know all about the problem with the bulb etc, not to mention the circuit board yet ???.
Conclusion ...They knowingly sold me a TV set that is only fit for the scrap heap ... And looking forward to possible three to four bulbs per year when the twelve month warranty is up ..cost per year just to watch a very expensive TV, £25.00 per week at least, if I am lucky and it is only the bulb ..

And they do not mention any problems with the TV when they relieve you of your money.

p.s IF!!!! Sony want to get in touch with me fore@ntlworld .com Which I very much doubt !!!

Unregistered guest
Regarding my sony 50 inc tv....problem solved new bulb, it looks like the bulb is the latest model ...also the picture looks better with the new bulb-lamp !!....A thank you to... Sony ...Erni UK

p.s I am now a happy chappy !!!!

Unregistered guest
This is a bit different issue than the defective bulbs.

I can't access any controls to adjust the horizontal picture position. I have a thin (approx. 1") black strip running down the left side of my screen when watching HD sources. It looks as if the whole picture has shifted to the right.
Any clues?

Username: Sgv_drifter

Rosemead, Ca Usa

I just got back from bestbuy and was very excited about bringing home a 60" kf50we610. good thing i hesitated. after reading all of your comments.. i dont think imma be making that purchase. anyhow... i still need a tv for my new home. and good tvs u guys could recommend?? plz get back to me asap

Anonymous

check the Samsung DLP HLN617w.
I used to have this and very impressive on DVD video but swap it w/ 70XBR950 for a bigger screen. after 1 1/2 waiting, sad to say, the Sony arrive w/ 2 dead pixel which spread to about 11 after a week until i have no choice but to get a projector bec of unavailabilty on the Sony.

Username: Sgv_drifter

Rosemead, Ca Usa

the samsung DLP HLN617W ROCKS!!!! the picture u get from it is astonishing. i am no longer going to waste my time wit sony ever again. we've had sony tvs at my house since 1980. never bothered wit any other brand bcuz sony was the shiznitz.. but wit the samsung DLP, i can finally say that im over it.. its about time we move on to bigger and better things. and i can proudly say that im a satisfied owner of a samsung HLN617W

Unregistered guest
I bought the 50" Sony Grand Wega in November, the minute I got it I saw that I had a dead pixel. After having a repairman come out, I spoke to my salesman at Best Buy and he said he would just replace the TV, but told me it would take a while to get it. The last few wekks the bulb started going out and I have also had the problems with the TV not coming on at times. Finally at the end of April my replacement TV came in and Best Buy came out and switched it. That night I again had blub problems with the brand new set!! It would go dark and then I would lose the picture. The interesting think is if the picture started going dark, I could get it to come back simply by switching the TV's video output. I went back to Best Buy and they said that I could either get another Sony (and they would keep replacing it until I was happy) or I could get the 50" Panasonic, which I decided to do. It's interesting that the Sony is no longing on the showroom floor at my Best Buy. This is a high-end item and Sony should come clean and recall these TV's and fix all of the problems. I will not buy another one of their TVs and my family and friends that saw the problem, won't buy one either. Finger's crossed everything goes well with the Panasonic!!

hoboken_tj
Unregistered guest
I had a Sony KF42WE610 delivered to me last week (6 days ago). Date of manufacture as stamped on back of TV - April 2004. This purchase was from J&R Music World. TV was great for the first 6 days. This afternoon, I reconnected my DVD player with new component video cables. When I was going through the setup menu for it to recognize the different DVD hookup, the TV went black. I tried to turn it back on and nothing happened. The power/stand-by light changes from solid red to blinking green when I press the power button. After about 30 seconds or so of the constant green blink, the light changes to a red blink and it flashes in 5 flash increments. After about a minute of this, it goes back to power/stand-by mode (solid red light).

Contact Sony, told them what happened. Did some preliminary troubleshooting with them. Nothing worked. They said I needed service. The earliest a service technician can come visit me is 9 days from now (next Wednesday).

Also note, I pulled the lamp out and it was not broken.

I'm patiently waiting and still optimistic that this will be fixed and I won't have any more problems.

wb
Unregistered guest
Thank-you ALL for posting your comments on the SONY Grand Vega XBR,,,I have owned a Hitachi Ultra Vision 50" rear projection for the past 10 years and never had ONE problem not ONE!..I am so sorry to hear all of you having problems with your SONY product. I was considering switching to SONY , but after reading ALL of your comments I will buy another Hitachi..Thank God I read all of your reviews!

Anonymous

Very interesting stories & comments about these televisions. I have been recently looking to possibly purchase a Sony 50" Grand Wega television to replace my complete displeasure with the Samsung 50" DLP. From the messages above & other website reviews, you can obviously tell there have been both happy and unhappy customers with both televisions. With my former 50" Sammy DLP, I had a very unusal problem that took me about 3 weeks for anybody to even acknowledged may exist. The DLP television had what I would term as a "lag-time" problem. I hooked up my xbox, playstation and gamecube and had the following problem with all of them. Any game you would play that required split-second timing, say any golf game for example where a swing meter is required, would not function correctly at all. Press once to start, again at 100% and again on dead-center to hit a perfect shot, sounds easy right....wrong. With this TV, I would hit the button, but it would take the televsion about .5 to 1 second before it would register and actually stop on the meter. It was impossible to hit it exact as needed. It wasn't just with this game, once I played others, I noticed this lag-time for everything. Playing games like Halo or others that do not require very specific timing, you may not really ever notice this issue. Try playing something with a meter that's time sensitive. I went back to the store where I purchased this unit and tried this on the same units there, the issue was exactly the same. Its NOT the games, but the televsion. Everything works fine on other analog tv's, etc. My question to any of you out there, try a game like this and let me know, I would like to see if this is an isolated problem or something that others may have as well.
I appreciate all the comments on both the Sony and Samsung, but right now I'm just going to hold off on any other purchase. Both look great as televsions, but it sounds like each could have specific problems. After over a month of headaches and learning more about large screen televisions than I really wanted to, my advice to anyone would be to really ask questions and try your equipment on the specific tv you want to buy. If the store really wants your business, they won't mind, that's what I have been doing lately. Good luck to all. I hope to hear from any of you on my former issue above. Thanks.

Anonymous

I have a 2 month old 42we610. I had this same problem. I tried to turn it back on and nothing happened. The power/stand-by light changes from solid red to blinking green when I press the power button. After about 30 seconds or so of the constant green blink, the light changes to a red blink and it flashes in 5 flash increments. After about a minute of this, it goes back to power/stand-by mode (solid red light).

ANy ideas to what is wrong with it. My dealer is getting it fixed for me but this sucks.

Anonymous

I have a four year old Sony widescreen tube TV, but this applies to all UK/plasma/lcd buyers, it has a failed part (the LOPT,Line Output Transformer, a high voltage large part very specific to each set, and always found in tube TV sets but NOT in LCDs/BLs/TFTs etc).

I asked my local TV guy (a friend) to fix it (he and I are engineers) after diagnosis he then asked "SEMA" a Sony/others trade parts only house to supply the part and they said Sony have stated it's no longer made. Wheeeee Bingo!

I then phoned and taped Sony (always a good idea as they do to you), the opening words were "OK that set is within the 5 year Legal rules whereby we have to supply parts", ok I said get me the friggin part, "we can't" they said. And then (but this is ongoing theyve asked me to go through a dealer to get the thing sorted, I suspect a fob- off but with me I'll litigate first and ask questions later, my tapes are proof)

So, thus far, I can advise - not to the point a good lawyer would - but to the point where you can demand Sony behave according to Consumer Law which is becoming more robust in the EU.

1- there is a new EU / UK directive called the Consumer Guarantee Directive that appears to reinforce your already better than USA rights (sorry guys you'd better join the EU if you can Metricise your screwy screws), this applies more in the first 6 months. The very existence of this web site can be shown as evidence to Sony (as proof of many complaints) and they HAVE to replace the whole darn thing in 6 months, you dont have to go far to tell them it's a manufacturing fault, the law backs you, (the burden of proof does not rest with you) the warranty provides the rest and with respect to their peculiar statement about 6 years - The Law and case LAw prevails (I think some form of Statute of Limitation) where they have to provide support and spares if the part was defective at the time of manufacture (it is), LOPTs are common Sony problems (we've had a few on PC screens as well go and a Spanish firm specialises in "copy" ones but not on my set Ole!.)

I can't imagine what's going on in the UK if they refuse to repair or replace within 6 months, even 1 year, and if the guy above 'phoned sony with a tape recorder he may be in luck. As to the bulb going, this I assume is an incandecent device, so maybe they have an angle, but your reasonable expectations again should be at least a year or longer. See if its stated as "lifed" ie, 2000 hours etc. Anyone in the UK should research through google "consumer guarantee directive"

Please guys tape your calls and when you deal with these and other assorted swine, AND send recorded delivery letters!!!!

Anonymous

I have a four year old Sony widescreen tube TV, but this applies to all UK/plasma/lcd buyers, it has a failed part (the LOPT,Line Output Transformer, a high voltage large part very specific to each set, and always found in tube TV sets but NOT in LCDs/BLs/TFTs etc).

I asked my local TV guy (a friend) to fix it (he and I are engineers) after diagnosis he then asked "SEMA" a Sony/others trade parts only house to supply the part and they said Sony have stated it's no longer made. Wheeeee Bingo!

I then phoned and taped Sony (always a good idea as they do to you), the opening words were "OK that set is within the 5 year Legal rules whereby we have to supply parts", ok I said get me the friggin part, "we can't" they said. And then (but this is ongoing theyve asked me to go through a dealer to get the thing sorted, I suspect a fob- off but with me I'll litigate first and ask questions later, my tapes are proof)

So, thus far, I can advise - not to the point a good lawyer would - but to the point where you can demand Sony behave according to Consumer Law which is becoming more robust in the EU.

1- there is a new EU / UK directive called the Consumer Guarantee Directive that appears to reinforce your already better than USA rights (sorry guys you'd better join the EU if you can Metricise your screwy screws), this applies more in the first 6 months. The very existence of this web site can be shown as evidence to Sony (as proof of many complaints) and they HAVE to replace the whole darn thing in 6 months, you dont have to go far to tell them it's a manufacturing fault, the law backs you, (the burden of proof does not rest with you) the warranty provides the rest and with respect to their peculiar statement about 6 years - The Law and case LAw prevails (I think some form of Statute of Limitation) where they have to provide support and spares if the part was defective at the time of manufacture (it is), LOPTs are common Sony problems (we've had a few on PC screens as well go and a Spanish firm specialises in "copy" ones but not on my set Ole!.)

I can't imagine what's going on in the UK if they refuse to repair or replace within 6 months, even 1 year, and if the guy above 'phoned sony with a tape recorder he may be in luck. As to the bulb going, this I assume is an incandecent device, so maybe they have an angle, but your reasonable expectations again should be at least a year or longer. See if its stated as "lifed" ie, 2000 hours etc. Anyone in the UK should research through google "consumer guarantee directive"

Please guys tape your calls and when you deal with these and other assorted swine, AND send recorded delivery letters!!!!

Catie
Unregistered guest
I have my brother's old Sony Trinitron- maybe six years old. I know it's probably seen the end of its days, but if there is a cheap fix for it, I'd like to try it. When I power it on, it charges up, I get that "whum" of the power coming on. I get sound, but no picture. After about four seconds the tv turns itself off and the standby/timer button blinks twice/pauses/blinks twice/pauses and so on. Other MBs seem to indicate that the over-current protection has kicked in and that I need to replace the line output transformer. How expensive is this going to be? How can I be sure that that IS my problem before I buy a new LOPT and open the casing and poke around in there? Is there anything else that might be causing these symptoms?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Xanadu
Unregistered guest
Wow,

I was hoping to buy one of these Sony 50" LCD tv's in November. Can anyone tell me if the problems have been resolved and/or if this is a model that should be avoided ?

I understand there's a Grand Wega 4 in the works. Does anyone know how it will be different/better/worse ?

And, the car was a Vega, not a Wega ... I should know, I put a V8 in one ! lol

thanks,

John

Carol
Unregistered guest
Hi Out There,
I am reading all your comments and my fear is growing
We want to purchased a sony 50" Grand Wega model KF50WE620
Does anyone know about this model?
I was told it is sony's new model and I am hoping it will have all the bugs worked out.
The picture is so beautiful
Please help before we take the dive .
I would appreciate your comments.
Thanks so much,
Carol

Unregistered guest
Grand Wega is good. But my friend who works at one of the Sony factories in Canada believes the problem is in the design. He believe the bulb might be too close to some parts which arent being cooled down by the fan. The fan is meant for the lamp itself. All that heat and cool air is probably screwing up the electrical parts in the lamp. Thats what my friend believes.

carol
Unregistered guest
Thank you so much for talking with me.
I sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to give us a little more knowledge.
Technology is beautiful but also scary for older people
I feel kind of helpless and it is a huge purchase for us.
We want a beautiful T.V and are considering this for our retirement treat BUT if it needs such a costly bulb often we need to consider this before we purchase.
Do you think they might have changed the design of their model KF50WE620 released this fall?

Anonymous

Carol,
Get away from projection tv.
You'll be sorry if you buy one.
Reading hte other peoples horror stories should be adequate advice.
Just my opinion.

Carol
Unregistered guest
Thank you anonymous
That is why I am here for advice and checking this message board often.I have defiantly noted these horror stories and I feel so bad for all those who have such an expensive mess on their hands. Average people this would hurt.
So what type of TV should we look at that gives a beautiful picture and will not make us wish we died early.....grin
I had hoped maybe this new model would be better but hope does not pay the bills and that is one expensive bulb.
It does seem strange to read all these people have trouble getting the picture.
A beautiful picture is wonderful as long as you have a picture?????

Anonymous

I'd go plasma if I were in the market for a tv.
Check out bestbuy.com.
There must be fifty ways to buy a television. (Paul Simon)
You can also get hdtv in a tube set for less money.
High tech is nice unless it pokes its filthy finger in your eye !!!

basselope
Unregistered guest
I'd strongly advise against plasma at this point. They are very sensitive to burn-in, are the most expensive consumer TVs you can buy, and have a limited product life. Unlike DLP and LCD RPTVs, once the brightness of the unit begins to diminish over time, there is no bulb that can be replaced, unlike the aforementioned TVs. Once the units dims, there is nothing that can be done to fix it.

carol
Unregistered guest
Now this is getting interesting and I am taking everyone's ideas and will do some thinking before I buy.
I decided after reading the comment of Phroz3n (Thank you) to contact Sony customer support and ask them if they had changed the design model in the Grand Wega model KF50WE620 released in the stores this fall.
I told them I was aware of the problem they had with the bulb in the earlier model and asked what their expectation of bulb life would be in this new model? So this will be an interesting reply to receive. Thank you everyone I am grateful for all this help and I know when I make the choice gasp! I will have had the best advise.
You good people must all be much younger then I to know all about this technology and at least I feel like our choice will be made with your wisdom.
And don't worry Anonymous I have been poked in the eye before with my computer..... Grin but I survived to now face the TV
You are all kind to try and help us and also very interesting to talk to...smile you might end up making me buy more of this modern stuff and I will become the gray haired little lady hanging out in the high tech department......chuckle

Anonymous

Well, Basselope, I guess that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla !

carol
Unregistered guest
Anonymous wouldn't we all be happy if TV"S were as simple as that and cost the price of a double cone.
We could try them all and compare....chuckle

Unregistered guest
Hi
Is any one find out the New Sony Grand Wega model KF50WE620 had change the design?? I ordered one before I have read all these horror story. Please post it if you know any change has make on this model.

Thank you

basselope
Unregistered guest
Anonymous - the problem is that a scoop of chocolate doesn't cost twice the price of vanilla and melt twice as fast. ;)

basselope
Unregistered guest
email77 - the new GWIVs have a few changes from the current models - the case is all silver (no longer has the dark gray border around the front), has integrated tuner, and Cable Card support. The appearance may be no big deal for some, but I think the all-silver finish makes it looks cheaper than the current GWIIIs, which I think look gorgeous.

bdeg
Unregistered guest
Same error here with the damn blinking red light and buzzing on a 50" WEGA purchased not more than 1.5 weeks ago. What a shame and sham. I took faith in the Sony name and got slammed. I'll be seeking out a replacement bulb and aspirin all weekend.

marie
Unregistered guest
bdeg was the model # Sony KF42WE610 that caused you to buy asprin. Thanks

sjohn4
Unregistered guest
Big question here ?
Can anybody tell me how long the lamp has lasted after it has been replaced in this Sony KF42WE610

Username: Thunder2004

Post Number: 7
I am in Canada and just bought the new SONY wega 50inch KF50WE620. I ahve spent hours connecting everything and reading all the comments and such regarding this TV for a year now and finally decided to buy it this week. The price has decreased $1000 here in canada versus last year's model which is a good thing. The look of all silver i find is actually BETTER than the last year's look of the black borders which i find frames the picture too much. I have had no problem with any issues(even though its early-fingers and toes crossed). The most important thing is the quality though...WOW!!! i love it. HDTV is so GREAT....the size is perfect for my living room and i really am happy with this decision. I have done my homework for almost a yar and decided against DLP and plasma for various reason. Plasma is WAY to overpriced plus the burn-ins are a concern and to have it repaired sounds like a nightmare with regards to cost. DLPconcern was the rainbow effect and the actual SAMSUNG name i found the set to be cheaper looking then the SONY wega.

Empty Nest Dad
Unregistered guest
While away this week, I saw the Sony KF50WE620 at The Sony Store for $3999 with stand and the TV and price really caught my eye. I returned to my hometown in Ontario and my local dealer will sell it to me for even less with the stand included if I buy it before the end of August. I had also been waiting in the wings for a year (DLP vs LCD, etc) but I think I may jump at it in the next few days considering it's a new model with a lower price. I also had a 1973 Sony Trinitron which worked great for 30 years. We both just turned 50 and will have an empty nest for the first time in 25 years and I'm thinking this 50" TV will be our "big treat" for having raised the kids and also distract us from the "empty house" syndrome. Anyone want to provide further encouragement on the KF50WE620?

Username: Hayman

Veenendaal, Utrecht Holland

hello there i'm from holland
few days ago i've seen the sony kf-60sc300 for nice price 3939 euro...
every thing look perfect but there some different than the usa ver. that the euro ver has no memory stik ?
but the rest are the same olso the euro ver can show pal secam and ntsc unlike the us only ntsc.
so boyS can any one tell me should i buy it ?
did any one heard a probleem about it ... ?
please help be4 i make mistake
regards hayman

Empty Nest Dad
Unregistered guest
I bought the Sony KF50WE620 tonight and will pick it up next week. The sales guy told me Sony is caught in the middle of 2 deals; one is the reduced price and the other is the free stand. The 620 seems to have improved features over the 610 and the salesman was impressed that it had picture in picture (of course we know more than the sales people).

sjohn4
Unregistered guest
Congratulations empty nesters enjoy your treat
Ours will be here next week too.
Can hadly wait :-)

WM
Unregistered guest
I've been tracking 50" sets in Vancouver for a few weeks and was about to pull the trigger on the Sammy 5063 but with the Sony GrandWega at 3999 with stand for the 2005 model, it seems to good to pass up. Some questions though:
1. Is the Sony KF50WE620 feature comparable with the Samsung HLP5063? (besides the Samsung is DLP and the Sony is LCD)
2. What did they improve on the Sony KF50WE620 over last years KF50WE610?
3. Finally, is the extended warrantly worth it? Normally I would never buy this (scam), but with these sets, it seems they're prone to some problems. One rep told me the LCD is more reliable than DLP. Thought?
Any help appreicated,

WM

Carol
Unregistered guest
Hello I feel shy to ask for help once again but I have one last question to bother you kind people with.
When we buy our new TV should we purchase the digital box that is with our cable or the high definition box?
We have most certainly appreciated the time you have taken for us and feel much more confident and wiser about the choice we will make in purchasing because of all your input
Thank you
Carol

Unregistered guest
My question is this........the Sony looked very good in the store, where they had the olympics showing. When ever there was some fast action.the screen looked all blotchy, or perhaps better described as many small squares, where the lines should be smooth. What causes this, and is it different in LCD, than DLP, or would they work the same? If you can't watch sports, or anything for that matter, with this happening, what good would it be?

Bronze Member
Username: 514329

Post Number: 18
that is what you call screen door effect. I bought a 61" dlp w/c also has this and exchange it to a 70"xbr and arrive w/ 2 dead pixel and after 2 weeks spread to 11 so I swap it w/ something else.

TrevorClark
Unregistered guest
I purchased the KF60WE610 and the bulb lasted a mere 2 weeks before blowing. I'm now in the midst of waiting for a repair under warranty. I spoke to a regional sony rep and was told that I shouldn't turn the tv on by using the front button as hitting it twice shortens the lift of the bulb and causes it to fail. Only the remote should be used to turn it on...gee, hope I don't hit the remote button twice!
I'll have to see how long this 'replacement' bulb will last.

Username: Bantamcc

Hi all 42 and 50 Sony LCD TV owners,

I purchased a (KF-42WE610) last April for $3300 with a floor model Techcraft stand ($200) with 3 year warranty for $250. The previous batch according to several owners of this model was a nightmare with failing Phillips bulb which has been replaced with a German version early in 2004 on the 2nd batch of these TV's from Sony. It's a great TV and wanted to trade for '50 but did'nt have room.

Did my homework before buying and made sure that bulb issue was fixed prior to buying. No problem so far so you guys should'nt have problem either with 620 model. I'm also using satellite reception and monster cabling which do make a diff. 'Gonna get home theatre next.

I do notice pixalating,claying if you wanna call it that on certain scenes. Mostly dark ones. Other than that colours are superb !

Saw the (KF-42WE620) at Dumoulin here in Montreal for $3500 with Sony stand which sucks.(not bad if free but it was retailing for $900 last April which was a real ripoff. Glad I bought the Techcraft as it as an extra shelf.

I had salesman call Sony today and according to Sony the only diff. between both models is the memory stick and the silver outline on the 620. A tech at Future shop told me that the lamp on the 620 is better and it's a darker screen. Go figure. I hope Future shop does'nt know what he's talking about and Sony's right 'cause I'de hate to have paid for already obsolete technology. The Sony writeup on the 620 does mention 'Improved contrast and black levels ' although the writeup on the 610 back in April probably said the same thing.See bottom of http://tinyurl.com/4uj3s

If anyone can get white papers on the difference of both sets, please send along. I don't think you'll find it on a Sony site.

Enjoy your TV's you haven't made a bad buy...

BantamCC

Username: Breezie

I am in the Vancouver area and saw the KF50WE620
today for $3999.97 and they said the stand is $700... but after reading your notes - should I stay away from this TV?
We are on satellite and of course in the store they show the TV with a special DVD playing. When he switched to show the Ryder Cup - the picture was horible.... how's your reception if you use Satellite?

Note to EMPTY NEST DAD
Where did you get a deal with a "free" stand?
I was at "The Brick" and the stand is extra - on top of their price of $3999.97 (note Sony's web site says it's $3999.99)
We have huge windows across form the TV so this "no-glare" is important to us.
Does anyone know what other stores carry this TV?
50" Grand WEGA widescreen Hi-Scan TV #KF50WE620

Perhaps you could send me your purchase info at mailsundancer@aol.com?

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
I had two DLP's (43" and 46" Samsung HLP466) that were faulty (noisy colour wheels) so for my third try, I went with the Sony KF50WE620 and so far I am very impressed!!!

It's runs much quieter than the DLP's I had, has comparable PQ to the Saumsung DLP's but is easier/softer on the eyes - no eyestrain like I had with DLP ! I notice a small amount of screen dooring on some low rez pictures but it doesn't bother me. I'm not usually a Sony fan but overall, I really like this TV and am keeping it.

Sears in BC has them on for $3600 + change in their Sept. sales flyer - I'm sure you can get the same deal or better from The Brick or Future Shop!

No problems with this tv so far - 'Lovin' it!!!

Rustyballer
Unregistered guest
I just bought the kf-50we610 a week ago but have had one problem. Im not too happy with the picture from analog channels from the cable company. I have a HD-DVR box from Comcast and I get great pictures from the digital channels and awesome pictures from the HD channels but the others seem kind of fuzzy.

Is there something I can adjust or am I hooking this thing up wrong or what? My wife is telling me to send the thing back because she hates the picture from the analog channels and is used to analog tv tubes. I dont want to return this monster but unless I can adjust a setting, I may have too.

I havent experienced any other problems yet, but then again I have only had it a week so far. How much do the replacement bulbs run if its out of warranty or your extended policy runs out? How often will these need to be changed? I wasnt told much on the bulbs at Best Buy where I purchased it.

Thanks for your input.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I purchase a sam 61" dlp and the analog picture was bad and swap it w/ sony 70" xbr and the analog signal was far off better than the sam 61". although the xbr has more adjustment than ur we, I don't think its better than what u have now.

Rustyballer
Unregistered guest
Does every on that owns a HD-tv have this same problem of analog channels coming in fuzzy?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I guess so cause my previous hdtv mits 65" has the same issue unless u get a hd tuner although I haven't tried it on my sharp dlp projector, it probably will have the same outcome.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Satellite is where you want to go when you have an HD television. Cable always looks pretty dismal beside an SD Satellite signal. Better yet - Satellite HD - I will be doing that soon.

Post Number: 3
Well we broke down and bought the 50" Sony but it's not been delivered yet. We were told to pay the $500 to get the HD Box from Bell Expressview to get a really good picture.... more money!
We did though get the $700 stand for free :-)
The Manager of the store owns one of these TV's and says he loves it.....
we'll see and I'll report back as soon as ours is delivered.
Our main need for "this" TV is that we have a huge picture windo opposite the TV and the glare is terrible.
Keep you posted!

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Good choice Ms Breezie - we also have very bright Living Room with 10' Sliding glass doors etc - My Sony Grand Wega KF50WE620 is very NON-reflective (best to place it with its back to the greatest light)

We can even watch it nicely in middle of day during sunny weather :-)

Rustyballer
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input... So spending an extra $500 for HD box, or Satellite is the only way to see these pictures clear? Im really trying justify this to my wife but the price is getting higher than we expected. I spent $2900 for the 50in Grand Wega and $400 for the extended policy and $300 for the stand. Plus tax put me at $4000 and Now I have to explain the extra $500 or cost for satellite and insatllation. This is going to cost me close to $5000 dollars for a $3000 dollar TV!!
This sucks...

Strati
Unregistered guest
Rustyballer,
What sucks is that you didn't do your homework before diving into this.
You bought the Mercedes of Televisions and are expecting to run it at the cost of a Hyundai!
You haven't even mentioned good cables to support a HD PQ. Why are you rushing things? Buy your $500 HD Box for Christmas (for even less) and live with an average PQ for a few months.

Post Number: 4
I think I am married to Rustyballer ! ;-)
I agree - if you're going to spend the $4000 for a TV - you should be prepared to spend the extra $500 for the HD box.
Actually my husband was wavering and I told him to "just do it"
Remember guys - life is short - life is NOT a dress rehearsal - we could all be dead tomorrow!
ENJOY!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Ms Breezie,Schlepp and Rusty Baller,

First of all I've also got a very bright family room and the Wega is fine. One of reasons I got it. Did my homework there.

I've been fortunate in way that I've had Bell Express Vu for a few years so my regular TV programming shows up good. I don't have a HD receiver tho as that will set me back about 600$.

A question for Rusty Baller ? Why don't you get the entry level receiver (2700) with your sattellite instead of the HD (31XX)now? You don't need a HD receiver for good PQ. The 2700 works very well. BEV is offering packages for $199 installed with dish and a 2700 . I think they even throw in a programming rebate !

There's practically no HD programming now so as far as I'm concerned is a waste of money getting a HD receiver now. You can upgrade to a HD receiver in a few year's when the programming has caught up.

I'm waiting a bit before upgrading my 2700 BEV receivers. As mentioned the PQ is very good with the 2700.Just an idea on saving a few $$$ now.

Also, how did you get a 50" Sony for 2900$ ? Is it a 610 or 620.

'Lemme know...

;-)

Rustyballer
Unregistered guest
I bought it at Best Buy and they had 10% off for big screens. Its a 610. I didnt know that the 620 was out yet.

Strati I bought Monster cables to support the componet video from the HD box!!! 50 dollars. Are you saying I needed more than that??

I did do homework but not one place did anything say the analog picture was going to suck.

Is the policy worth it? Its for 4 yrs Im just afraid to not get the policy and have to replace something expensive. As most people would.

I dont have Satellite. I have HD-DVR Box that Comcast offers. The digital movie channels do come in pretty good and the HD great. But, My wife likes the basic analog channels ( HGTV ). I guess we shouldnt expect a good picture from a analog channel anyway. They are analog for a reason.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
THIS SUCKS SONY!!!!

New UNPLEASANT revelation about my new sony KF50WE620

... a big selling feature of any new 50" TV for me was being able to hook up my Notebook and view pictures.

When the Store sales guys told me I could hookup my Notebook PC to this TV via simple VGA to DVI connector, I said, ok great, even though the Sony has 2 less Component inputs than the Panasoni PT-50DL54, and even though the Sony has DVI instead of the newer HDMI, and even though the Sony has NO VGA inputs like the Panny does, and even though the Sony has NO generic Memory card reader like the Panny does, I liked the picture on the Sony better, so I went Sony.

Got it home and have been loving it - but when I went to hookup my Notebook the other day, to view photos, I found it is **much **much trickier than than using a simple VGA from Notebook to DVI connector on the Sony!!! The SONY "DVI is NOT MADE for PC use", so says the Manual!!!

One work around is to go VGA to Component, but you have to get a Transcoder @ $180 US, then you have to use one of your Component inputs (as the Sony only has 2 Components, one for existing DVD player and one for Notebook and your X-box then has to sit on the shelf or you're swapping cables all the time).

DVI out from a Home Theatre PC to your Sony requires extensive tweaks in the TV's service menu and likely voids your warranty.

THIS SUCKS SONY!!!!

My Grand Wega KF50WE620 has:
1 DVI, 2 Components - NO VGA inputs, NO CARD memory card reader, no HDMI

Panasonic PT-50DL54 has FOUR (4) Component inputs, VGA inputs, HDMI, and a generic memory card reader that reads ALL formats!

IF ONLY, the PT-50DL54 had the same picture quality, I'd get it in a flash!

Any suggestions anyone? DLP's have lots of inputs as well, but they give me eyestrain.

groan!

Bronze Member
Username: Bestbuyguy

Post Number: 19
Rusty Baller,
Switch to sattelite, the broadcast is PURE digital, every channel, such as HGTV, HGTV with sattelite would look just as good as your digital channels do now, if not better. Service plans are a good idea for the newer rear projection televisions, even older CRT rear projection televisions, only because best buy professinally calibrates the TV every 6 months IF NEEDED. It would be a good idea to get the service plan. or "extended warranty". Only because of this bulb problem. BTW, the saelsman at best buy should have told you the analog signal looks like crap. Once again, go sattelite until cable companies switch to all digital.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Rusty Baller,

Have you checked out any BEV promotions ? ie 199$ for receiver and dish install. I think they have programming rebate credit too thrown in.

That will solve your analog problems.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Schlepp,

Back a few threads you mentioned the card slot was'nt important to you. Maybe you've decided to use it now?

I have the KF42WE610 which came with card slot and I rarely use it. I use my front panel components (gaming) for my notebook PC. I have a NVIDIA graphic card on my notebook with a RCA adapter cable that plugs into the my RCA video jack in front of TV. PQ is good enuf for picts and occasionally surf the web thru my Wega.

BTW- I never take anything those sales clerks say too seriously. I get most of my info. from white papers, reviews and writeups. Remember they're just salesman and aren't up on technology. That screw up with DVI to notebook is grounds for immediate return of set. Too bad PQ is so good on Sony 'cause I'de bring it back. In fact Sony reps don't even know their products. Had a few runins with those guys too !

Must remember to check out component connections on 620 at Future Shop next time I'm in there. I have several component connexions and a DVI port on the 610. Of course my interpretation of a component connection may be different from yours. See http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/documents/specifications/KF4 2WE610.pdf and go to page 29.

Can't believe Sony would scale back component connections on the 620. Is 610 set like yours ?

Heh ! you want memory stick ? I wan't the 50". Let's swap TV's ! I still have my box to ship. heh..heh..

;-)

Rustyballer
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your help everybody, I actually found out that my cable company wasnt sending a strong enough signal to clear up those analog channels.
After they boosted the signal from the ped, My picture showed MUCH better!!

Yeah I know those channels wont be anything like the digital or HD but I was having the trouble from my cable company all along. I am pleased with the picture now.

I think I had it worse of than anybody elses picture with the not so strong signal. So it was really making me disgusted. But Im glad I hung in there, I Love the TV otherwise.

I do have the policy and usually dont buy anything electronic without it. My Luck, the manufacturers warranty would go up a day before I need service!!

Once again thanks for everybody's input.

I will check into the BEV and Satellite for the future. But I may stick with HD DVR from Comcast for now. Next Football season They are coming out with NFL Sunday Ticket like Satellite. Hoping they will come out with more HD channels as time goes on!!!

Unregistered guest
Talk about being disappointed I purchased KDF-60XBR950 for almost 5k. Was delighted with it until after only four months (of very little use) the picture just went black. There goes the bulb problem everyone is talking about. My question is ... Is sony replacing my burned out bulb or is this my problem?

Unregistered guest
Talk about being disappointed I purchased KDF-60XBR950 for almost 5k. Was delighted with it until after only four months (of very little use) the picture just went black. There goes the bulb problem everyone is talking about. My question is ... Is sony replacing my burned out bulb or is this my problem?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Tom,

My take is that bulb issue was related to the KF42/50/60WE610 models. Too bad you can't get this info off of Sony site but that would be admitting inferior workmanship. The models mentioned built in 2003 had Phillips bulbs built in. Later models (like mine) have a German made bulb (forget the name, see previous posts). I'de be surprised if you have same problem.

Looks like you have other symptoms. Hope you have a service contract ? I think Sony gives you a year anyway. I remember 10-15 years ago you'de get 5 years warranty.

Good luck !

Ed Enright
Unregistered guest
Woops, just bought the Sony KF50-WE610. Arghh! Two days in and the same problem with the bulb that so many others have described. Bought it at CC on Oct 2nd. What's the latest word on the bulb/circuit board issue on this model? Are basically all of these old models crap? I know the new models just came out. I wonder if the new models have the same problem. I don't expect any "truth" to come from Sony Cust Serv. Thanks

Username: Thunder2004

Post Number: 8
Basically all the intital models built before january 2004 had bulb issues....sony is fully aware of the issue and resolved it on the newer models....i bought the new model and have had it for just over a month and had ZERO issues....i LOVE this T.V....HDTV looks brilliant and am very happy with my purchase and highly recommend it...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Ed,

As Dan Neron mentioned, Sony is aware of problem and your 1 year warranty should cover it. Not sure who CC is and if they don't know about this bulb issue, they should'nt be in the TV business.

The retailer should have a 30 day return policy so you can return the WE610 for a 620. Very few differences between the two and to be nonest, I prefer the 610 with the dark edge contour.

The 620 models have come out of the block 500$ cheaper than the 610's were last April. Check prices out.

As mentioned, Sony should change that bulb free of charge !

;-)

afpintek
Unregistered guest
Hello all,
I was just about to buy a Sony KF50WE610 from either Cicuit City or Tweeter.
I have a couple questions.
First of all I wonder if I should buy one after reading all the problems and second, Is there a way to make sure I get a good one without any problems.
Also, who should I buy fron Circuit City or Tweeter.

Thanks,
Anthony

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Hi Y'all,

Wonderin' if my posts are getting read 'cause I never get a reply back. I must've posted a response to this question at least 5 times in previous posts.

Here goes again:

Any 610 models mfg. by Sony after February 2004 'DO NOT' have the infamous bulb issue. If you buy a set with this problem, Sony is obligated to change the bulb. That is the ONLY problem that this model of TV has !

Unless you are getting a super deal on the 610, I would look at the 620 model which definitely does'nt have bulb problem and the lamp is just slightly brighter. Although the 620 does'nt have the media card slot that the 610 has. The other differences between the 610 and 620 are negligable.

As far as Circuit City or Tweeter, I've no idea as these merchants don't exist in Quebec.

Sony has just announced the new series which has the KDF55WF655 .
See link at Sony Style : http://tinyurl.com/5dyds

Anthony, reply back just so I know I'm not posting these posts for nothing..

;-)

afpintek
Unregistered guest
Hello,
Thanks for the reply and yes I did get it.
But, Ed Enright wrote the following:
Woops, just bought the Sony KF50-WE610. Arghh! Two days in and the same problem with the bulb that so many others have described. Bought it at CC on Oct 2nd.

I would assume if he just bought one October 2nd
it was mfg. after February 2004.

Anthony

Tammy
Unregistered guest
I've read about all of the problems with bulb failure and sure wish i had done my research BEFORE buying the 50". So far that hasn't happened but the picture quality has been pure (*&^.

We replaced a smaller SONY and have another SONY upstairs - both have great pics but this one is neither clear nor sharp. I can see faces and landscape detail much more clearly on the smaller units. This is definately a case of bigger not being better.

Is this just my set or is this because it's a projection tv? I can't imagine that anyone would actually WANT to buy this set if they all have this quality picture. It's almost as if you took a small picture and increased the size too much and see lots of jagged edges and pixelation.

In addition, there are subtle but definately vertical lines in the picture when the overall picture is light colored (tan or yellow). Is anyone else having this problem?

Tammy

Tammy
Unregistered guest
I've read about all of the problems with bulb failure and sure wish i had done my research BEFORE buying the 50". So far that hasn't happened but the picture quality has been pure (*&^.

We replaced a smaller SONY and have another SONY upstairs - both have great pics but this one is neither clear nor sharp. I can see faces and landscape detail much more clearly on the smaller units. This is definately a case of bigger not being better.

Is this just my set or is this because it's a projection tv? I can't imagine that anyone would actually WANT to buy this set if they all have this quality picture. It's almost as if you took a small picture and increased the size too much and see lots of jagged edges and pixelation.

In addition, there are subtle but definate vertical lines in the picture when the overall picture is light colored (tan or yellow). Is anyone else having this problem?

Tammy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Tammy,

Not sure what your problems are as I've never heard of anyone complaining about that TV, PK wise anyway, in this thread. You either need a serious calibration or your sitting too close to it. Better read Schlepps posts above.

I've got a '42 inch version and it's gorgeous. Not that big diff. between 42 and 50. Could be a number of things. Ask around.

We've all done our homework too and compared to other technologies around (plasma/DLP) this is still the best for the $$. Of course there are lemons out there but this can be rectified with tuning etc.

;-)

Unregistered guest
First - thanks to all - great info here (and misery loves company.)
Just for the record, here's another one...
Sony Wega KF-42WE610 purchased 12/03.
Power light blinks green (~ 1 minute)
Lamp light blinks red (~ 1 minute)
Power light goes red.
If I keep trying, the TV will eventually go on, after I've repeated this cycle a few times.
First call to Sony - they told me to pay close attention to the lights (as described above) because it would help them decipher what the problem is. So you might want to do that before you call.
Second call to Sony - sounded like a less knowledgable person - told me they would ship a replacement lamp. Here's my $.02...
IF SONY OFFERS TO SHIP YOU A NEW LAMP, THEY'RE TRYING TO MAKE A SUCKER OUT OF YOU.
The problem isn't with the lamp, it's with the TV set (as described at length in this, and other, forums). So the new lamp is likely to have the same problem in another 1,000 hours or so - but by then your 1 year warranty will have expired. And I'm guessing the crooks at Sony are counting on it.
I'm going to let Sony ship me the new lamp, and I'll swap out the old one, but I'm also going to pay Circuit City the $139 they're asking for a 1-year extension on the warranty. I know I'll be needing it.
Thanks again to all.
p.s. Please drop me a line if you hear anything about a class action.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Geo, Just copying my previous post. See above.

Wonderin' if my posts are getting read 'cause I never get a reply back. I must've posted a response to this question at least 55 times in previous posts.

Here goes again:

Any 610 models mfg. by Sony after February 2004 'DO NOT' have the infamous bulb issue. If you buy a set with this problem, Sony is obligated to change the bulb. That is the ONLY problem that this model of TV has !

Unless you are getting a super deal on the 610, I would look at the 620 model which definitely does'nt have bulb problem and the lamp is just slightly brighter. Although the 620 does'nt have the media card slot that the 610 has. The other differences between the 610 and 620 are negligable.

As far as Circuit City or Tweeter, I've no idea as these merchants don't exist in Quebec.

Sony has just announced the new series which has the KDF55WF655 .
See link at Sony Style : http://tinyurl.com/5dyds

Anthony, reply back just so I know I'm not posting these posts for nothing..

;-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Geo,

Here's another for ya : read below. You may also want to go to https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/84402.html and read my posts there. Also Shlepp has been very helpful.

As mentioned below. DON'T CONFUSE THE LAMP AND BULBS. The bulb regulates power to the TV and has been found to be faulty is sets built in 2003. Your lamp should be good for 8-10000 hours..
Saul (And rest of you),

I must be posting stuff in a parallel universe (or at least another thread) 'cause we've been thru this bulb thing at least a zillion times.

Now for an umpteenth time :

-The issue with these RP TV's is with a failing Phillips bulb that was installed on some sets prior to January 2004. It would prevent the TV from turning on and the lamp light would flash indefinitely. If you had one of these sets, Sony would replace the bulb free of charge. You did'nt need a warranty for that.

-The lamp under normal conditions should last 8000 to 10,000 hours. This condition IS NOT covered by any warranty and you have to purchase from Sony. These cost $300 now but hopefully in a few years when your lamp (UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS) begins to fade, the price will have dropped somewhat. The Sony website shows consumers how to change it yourself.If your lamp is fading now and you've just purchased the set, you got a lemon and it should fall under the 1 year basic Sony warranty. THIS IS NOT THE BULB ISSUE !

Now go back and read all the posts. You may want to goto another thread where I probably posted this info previously.

See:

;-)

Gary49
Unregistered guest
I have a KF50WE610 that I bought 1 month ago and connected a satellite signal (Bell) through svideo cables to it but the image is still far from perfect. The TV was mfg'd in May 2004. Some channels are better than others but on the whole the image seems out of focus and not sharp at all and there seems to be some noise in the image. I fooled around with all the settings that I know of but I can't get a good image out of it. Do any of you know what I am doing wrong with my settings or perhaps its a manufactuing problem? I don't know if I should call sony service or try to return it. any help would be appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Gary49,

I have a KF42WE610 and my BEV signal comes in very clear and TV looks great. Of course we all have different BEV installations.

I don't think it's your TV. Of course You could have a lemon. How was your signal on your old TV ?

Remember with your new TV your seeing a lot more imperfections etc.

Good Luck...

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Re BELL and Picture Quality - Gary49

Make sure you have SVideo plugged in and use just your Red and White composite for sound (also make sure they are decent cables with good connectors). If you have ommitted your Yellow Composite and are using SVideo (providing best picture you can get from SD), then it sounds like you might have a set problem as my SD Bell looks pretty decent with SVideo.

Some channels are always better than others, that's just the way it is, but they shouldn't be too far out of focus.

Oh ya, you might also want to try unpluggin Cable from your TV and see if that helps, as Cable TV may occasionally cause intererference/line noise that feeds through onto the Satellite signal.

Other than that, check all connections by trial and error, unplug everything except the Satellite and then plug back in one at a time. Also try changing the Satellite over to different inputs and see if that helps. If it does, you might have a bad input.

Hope this helps.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Bantamcc ... sorry, I just spotted your questions to me above. I check in here avery few days and don't always see the same threads.

I still have my 620 and am *slowly building a HTPC to hookup to the Sony.

It came down to dollars for me - I got such a sweet deal on this TV that the cost to trade it for another one, was too much. Still love the picture - only real weaknesses are the lack of VGA inputs. I'll live with this Sony for the amount I save.

Have a good one!
(I may not check back in here for a few days)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us