Editing Out Commercials on Sony RDR-GX7

Sony Fan
Unregistered guest
So I recently bought the GX7 and have it connected to my DirecTV Tivo unit and was hoping to archive a number of shows from the TIVO unit, however I've been unable to figure out how to delete commercials and from what I've read in the manual, it's not possible unless I use the VR mode which then makes the disc unreadable in other players.

I've read other review that mention that Recorders with HD's make this possible, such as the Panasonics, however I also want one with a fire wire input. Any suggestions?

Username: Kevin1963

Post Number: 3
I have the GX7 as well and I believe you are correct that you have to use VR mode to remove commercials since it doesn't have a hard drive. I have a stand alone Tivo box and I record directly from the Tivo to the GX7 while watching the program and hitting the pause button at commercial breaks. I usually am watching the show for the first time anyway, so I don't consider it wasted time.

VR mode is risky because if your GX7 craps out, you may never get to view your shows again if you can't find another recorder which reads this format (from what I've read, even getting another GX7 doesn't guarantee you'll be able to watch it on that). So I avoid VR at all costs. Using the regular recording mode results in very good copies that I can watch on any DVD player (after finalization for DVD-R and DVD-RW).

I am planning to buy the new Sony DVD recorder RDR-HX900 with 160GB hard drive (its supposed to be out soon) for use in editing my VCR tapes (of which I have about 200) and burning to DVD. I'm not sure if it has fire wire or not.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us