Today I picked up a 62" Toshiba DLP RPTV 62HM84

Username: Sandmanx

Post Number: 2
Today I picked up a Toshiba 62HM84. I used to own the Hitachi 60" LCD RPTV but brought It back due to SD looking way too bad.

Here is my feelings on the 62HM84, the SD looks much better on the Toshiba than on the Hitachi. But I feel DVDs looked much brighter/clearer and less artifacted on the Hitatchi. I am actually pretty disappointed in the picture Quality of the Toshiba. I have the toshiba set to standard mode/full screen and I'm watching DVDs on a Samsung DVD player going through component out with Progressive scanning on. There are too many noticable artifacts when watching DVDs (not as much as SD though) and when I see artifacts I start watching for them instead of watching the movie.

It seems like for all this money we are spending that they would step the game up a bit and make a better looking set. I thought that going from LCD RPTV to DLP RPTV would give me a better picture but going from the 60" Hitachi to the 62" Toshiba seemed like I downgraded considerably. Don't get me wrong, the set is a nice design and is very quiet (Fan Noise) but DVDs look too dark set in standard mode & blown out when I go to a brighter preset.

I also dont like the fact you cant change the grey bars on the side to black like you could with the Hitachi. I also dont think you can manually adjust the colors/brightness/tint etc on this set. I tried finding that option for an hour. The manual tells you how to do it but when I select "Picture Settings" it defaults back to exit.

I will hold on to the set until Thursday if I cant get the settings straight I will return it and buy a $2000.00 65" Mitsu Medallion CRT and live with that until I see a much better set.

Any Settings anyone recommends me to try?

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Theburninator

Post Number: 15
You can adjust the color/brightness/tint manually. I had the same problem you did though with it exiting. Look on your remote and you will find that there are two enter buttons...use the other one and it will take you into the actual settings...I struggled with that for a while myself until I saw the other button! I set mine up using a THX optimizer (all I had) and my picture looks great. Hopefully that helps!

Post Number: 3
Ok,

I guess I really did jump the gun and I deeply apologize. I saw the other enter button and I did some color adjustments and the set is looking much better now. I watched Dawn of the Dead on the Set last night and didn't see any artifacts except a couple once or twice through the entire movie. Like I said before I have the Samsung DVD going through Component set to Progressive scan. I didn't try the DVI output yet cause I need to get an adapter to hook up to the set. But when I used DVI on the Hitachi the picture didn't look as clean as component so I'm gonna figure the same for this set after reading all the posts here.

I also wanted to add, The Blacks are incredibly nice on this set unlike the Hitachi and the brightness is greater than the Hitachi as well. I have this set in our family room which has lots of walls of glass (lots of light) and the picture is still bright as ever unlike the Hitachi, I couldn't really watch the Hitachi in the same spot during the day.

I think I'm gonna keep this Set, I noticed that allot of SD channels look real good on it as well as DVDs with my Samsung.

In everyones opinion here that owns this set, what would be the absolute Best DVD player to buy for this Set?

Thanks Guys

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
does anyone know the main differences in the hmx94 and the hm94? thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 123
Joey-

You can stay with the same brand and go with the Toshiba SD-5970 upscaling DVD player with HDMI output. You can find it for under $200 and it comes with the HDMI cable. You can read about it here:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/94244.html

Username: Sound4bargain

Post Number: 8
I have the 52 Toshiba and this is what I figured out. If you set the DVD to non progressive scan and the TV picture size to 0)- natural and set the mode to movie and feed the signal from component in you actually get the best quality.

This is my thought on it in progressive mode the DVD sends a 480p signal - the TV being a fixed pixel device then has to strech each frame to 720p. On the other hand when given a 480i non progressive signal and movie mode setting the TV gets to do the progressive scanning to 720p directly and the middle 480p gets skipped. That my reasoning and could be all wrong but I do like the picture better.

I discovered this setting because in 0-natural SD shows in its native 4:3 size and I much perfer that grey bands and all. I hate to strech SD and this way I don't have to reset size every time.

This TV is its absolute best when the signal is HD outperforms all TVs in the price range except perhaps the new Panasonic DLP which has the most incredible blacks

Post Number: 4
Your Not gonna Beleive this,

The place I bought my 62HM84 from the other day has a clearance center as well. Well today, I went in there looking for a Range for my house and I started seeing quite a few open Box DLPs and LCDs. So I'm browsing around then BAMMMM!!!! there's an open Box 62HM84 so I as Im walking over to ask the manager the price BAMMM AGAIN!!! theres an open box of the Bello avs-4210s stand I've been dreaming about for the new Set I just bought. The AVS-4210s Stand goes for like $700.00 where I live and I just paid $3,500.00 (Tax included) for my Set. So If I bought the Stand I wanted too it would bring the whole Setup to $4,250.00 for the TV and Bello Stand with tax.

So I finally get to talk to the Busy manager and I take a shot in the dark and tell him I will give him $3,000 even for the Set and Stand. I knew he would give me the song and Dance and obviously say Hell No but I said its worth a try. So after a big song and dance from the manager, finally said he would do it for $3k even. The set comes with the Full warranty and everything like new along with a 30 day money back. It was not used as a display and all the original packing plastic and Tape to hold the door closed is on it.

So I put a down payment hold them to Friday (Today) so I can rent a truck. I'm planning on bringing back the Set I just Paid $3,500.00 for and get this open box set up.

What do you think? Any precautions I should be aware besides the obvious?

By The way, what do you guys recommend for calibrating this set, Avia or DVE? I heard DVE is better in general but Avia comes with more Bells and whistles.

Thanx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us