Copying VHS to DVD poor quality

Username: Greatbritgirl

Post Number: 1
Hi,

We have been trying to copy a VHS for someone onto DVD, using a good quality sony vcr and a pinacle dc10 video capture card.
The vhs isnt great quality but i thought dvd was supposed to improve it slightly? and the dvd is actually coming out pretty poor quality.

Any suggestions on improving the quality? - We are using the RCA jacks and Roxio Easy media creator.

Username: R1t1joby

Post Number: 4
Okay, first, a capture card for a computer compresses video to MPEG1 or MPEG2.

MPEG2 will give you the best results and you should have more options (screen size, frame rate, audio choices, etc) to work with in that format.

But if you are copying irresplacable footage from your camcorder or something you value to where you want really good quality, you need a home unit DVD Recorder with a hard drive. Home unit DVD Recorders with hard drives are under $300 now & in the long run, is a lot more easier to work with & achieve better results than capture cards.

Anonymous

No home capture system improves the original signal. You won't suddenly find 480 lines of resolution from a 240 line resolution source. To improve it you need to digitally remaster it which requires some sophisticated electronics and an engineer.

Post Number: 2
OK got a new caputure card for a start a pinnacle movie box deluxe as we used anothe pinacle usb 2 one the other day and it was 100x better than the pci one.

I have also been reading about connecting a VCR to a Digital camcorder copying it to DV tape and then onto the pc - is that a form of remastering? I have a cheapish JVC digital camcorder with svid in and out and firewire out and a V expensive sony digital camcorder that my parents own that i can use - not 100% sure what its got but no doubt has a lot more features.

Also does anyone have a recommendation for one of these standalone DVD recorders with a hard drive for under $300

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 359
I don't think you can get a hard drive for under $300, I haven't seen any.

Post Number: 3
I was just commenting on what R T Joby said above "Home unit DVD Recorders with hard drives are under $300 now " so i dont know

rwp728
Unregistered guest
If your VHS tape is a commercial movie, it likely has copy-protection on the recording which will cause effects like yours. This can only be removed by a device such as GoDVD inserted between player and recorder. Call (800) 788-0068 for info or sales on GoDVD, but others are available. Search the web under "copy protection remover" or "Macrovision" for competing products and information.

The F-a-r-t Toad
Unregistered guest
Why dont you rip everyone off buy Downloading sofwear that Captures Video in a perfect format...look up.... Baccon perfect, its a steal program, that completely steals and doesnt damamge anything in the video Format.

interested guest
Unregistered guest
Where do u find this capture video for downloading...baccon perfect...cannot find it with google search
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us