DVI and HDMI question. any help greatly appreciated

Username: Throttle

Post Number: 5
Hi guys, Last month I bought a Hitachi ultravision 42" lcd tv. I got my HDTV satellite receiver hooked up, and WOW! HDTV is awesome. I bought an LG DVD player (can't remember model #) and it has the HDTV up conversion thing. However, I believe that it only does the up-conversion when using DVI, and not with component cables like I am using.

My tv only has HDMI and the DVD player only has DVI.... :-(

Is there anyway to have the DVI and HDMI connect to eachother? this would make life grand for me to watch my DVD's on up conversion. Thanks for the help.

Post Number: 6
By the way, do any of you use an up-conversion dvd player? is there a noticable difference? i sure hope there is.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 87
You can buy a DVI to HDMI cable that will work perfect for you. The Monster Cable version of the adapter is over $100, so I bought one from Ebay for $20. It does the job. I have an upscaling DVD player (Toshiba SD-5970) running to my 52" JVC D-iLA TV. With the upscaling DVD player, the picture looks a little smoother and the colors seems to be slightly more vivid, but I would not consider it a huge leap over using component cables. It does vary with the movie though. Some look alot better, other I can barely notice.

Post Number: 7
Thanks MR. Lynch. Do I need male to male, or female to male, or FF, or MF? i know this is confusing but i don't know squat about this. also , would i have to use a coaxial or optical sound, or will the standard red white rca's work for audio?

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 89
Rob J.-

You need a male to male plug. Like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64632%26item%3D5726812865 %26

Since DVI does not carry audio you will need to run a cable for that. If your using the Built in TV speakers RCA cables will work just fine. If your running your sound though a receiver I'd recommend using the digital out.

Post Number: 8
Mr. Lynch, thanks for all the help. I went out and bought a DVI to HDMI cord and a digital coaxial audio cable.

The sound is great. However, I get no picture. I don't know if I have to specify to the TV and DVD player to use their respective HDMI and DVI slots. All I know is that I am getting pretty frustrated. I spent 100$ US on this cable and I can't see anything.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 94
I tried answering your question on your other post. Howfully you got it. Isn't technology fun?

Allison
Unregistered guest
I just bought the new Sony Wega 50" LCD. It comes with an HDMI cable... I am debating what type of DVD/surround sound system I should get. I heard that the upconversion makes a pretty good difference with the LCD (over the DLP). Is this true? Should I buy the Samsung 941 over the 841? The 841 has a DVI connection & the 941 has the HDMI. Can my HDMI connect to a DVI without buying a new cable? I don't want to spend a huge amount of money... Basically, I want to know if it is truly worth going to the upconversion DVD/separate receiver route, or is the home theater in a box that bad of a set up?

Unregistered guest
I purchased a Panasonic TH-50PX25 Plasma and a Samsung SIR-TS360 Directv HD receiver. The receiver has a DVI output and the TV has a HDMI input. I tried two DVI to HDMI connectors and switch the receiver to DVI output from component and could not get a signal. Any help?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 281
You might need to turn on the digital input with-in the TV menu. MY JVC was that way.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 75
does an upconverting dvd player produce any benefit w/a HD CRT? such as the sony 34-XBR910.

kkf18
Unregistered guest
I connected dvd recorder to hdtv with hdmi/dvi cable, digital optical cable for audio to a receiver and I have no sound with dvds? Picture is great but no sound. My dvd recorder does not have coaxial input only an optical which I've never used before. Would someone be able to help?

Anonymous

run regular (analog) rca type cables from the dvd to the receiver unit

HDMI (in part) is designed to be able to avoid unauthorized high quality digital to dvd digital copying - and it could be shutting down the audio digital portion as it senses an attempt to defeat it somehow

or simply its in essence via the HDMI signal (by transfering the entire audio/video together) allowing no additional redundant digital audio transfers to the receiver unit - leaving you only with an analog audio (actually quite good sounding) option
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us