Hooking up tv,dvr and digital cable

Username: Dawimo67

MD USA

Post Number: 1
How do you correctly hook up a projection tv with a pioneer dvr and a digital cable box? And be able to utilize the PIP and all other features

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Use a cable splitter prior to sending the signal into your cable box (STB). Send one end into your STB and the other into an AUX input on your TV Display. This will enable your PIP feature but will likely only work on analog (under 100) channels unless you have a Sony then you will be able to view one analog cnannel and either another analog or any digital input at the same time.

As for your DVR most of them have a pass thru feature so you could simply take the ouput via S-Video from your STB and pass it thru via component cables (or another S-Video cable) to your displays' main input. There are several ways to do this and if you have a HiDef display do not use this method but ask me for further guidance.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
I am trying to connect: An HDTV wide screen, DVD recorder, dish satellite, home theatre receiver and, if possible, VCR. I can get everything to work except the DVD recorder. Can anyone give me clear instructions or guide me to a hookup diagram that is easy to follow? I have searched the Internet but find little to help me with the recorder

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 350
What are you recording from? The recorder should hook to the TV with the 3 component jacks, with cables made for component hookup.

Anonymous

How do I hook up my Panisonic DMR-E75V DVD & Vhs Recorder to Directv DVR, TV, Panisonic Home theater? We cannot watch 1 show and record another or get any sound on the VHS tapes. Otherwise the DVD part works great but we can't record and watch something else why is that?

Silver Member

Post Number: 405
Unless you have a dual LNB dish and 2 receivers you can't watch one channel and record another. The satellite receiver can only be on one channel at a time.

Anonymous

I do have the Dual LNB DVR with 2 lines coming in from the dish. But do you know the best way to connect the dvr, dvd recorder, tv and home theater? My TV has 2 lines for RCA jacks and s video and 2 for audio but no Composite jacks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 414
I don't have a DVR, but if it has 2 outputs then hook one to the recorder and hook the other to the TV. If you want to use a VCR with the recorder then get a video switcher, that will let you hook up multiple sources to the other open input on the TV. You can get them at Wally World or Radio Shack.

Anonymous

Thanks for the help the manual that came with the recorder really did not have much on hooking it up.

Anonymous

I am a babe in the woods when it comes to this stuff...I have a Comcast DVR Tuner, a stereo TV, a surround sound receiver-DVD player combo and a VCR in one room. I have the same setup in another room, except the surround sound DVD receiver and DVD player are separate and I ditched the VCR. When the cable people came out to install the dual tuner DVR they did not hook the DVD back up. I fiddled around and can get DVDs to play with sound loud and clear, but get no picture. The picture is fine when I am just viewing the TV. I think I have something hooked up incorrectly (ya think?). The TV which was fine before, now loses it's sound after being on for 20 minutes or so. At the top of the volume range, I can just make out the sound. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Username: Beaverbw

Flowery Branch, Ga USA

I am on Charter cable and have a motorola control
box and an Emerson ewr20v4 combo. The input to my recorder must have the tv set on channel 3 to record and play back. I want to record movies onto dvd but the movie channels on the control box start at channel 500. How can I hook up the recorder to record movies. Talked to cable company and recorder manufacturer but no help. Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 473
The cable box should hook to the DVD recorder with RCA jacks if possible, if not a coax cable and set the recorder on channel 3.

Username: Beaverbw

Flowery Branch, Ga USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks David Massey. I hooked the RCA jacks from the cable box to the L1 side of the recorder but had to leave the cable to the TV comming from the recorder outlet in order to see output from the recorder. I set the recorder channel to 3 and now can record the movie channels. Thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 474
You should use L1 for recording, the picture will be better.

Anonymous

I am trying to connect: 1. Comcast digital cable/HDTV box + 2. DVD/VCR combo + 3. VCR to our 4. Sony rear projection HD-ready TV. I've tried many different hook ups, but cannot manage to tape the channels above 99. Any ideas?

Username: Aaknight53

I am having a similar problem. My husband has hooked up our new DVD Video recorder to the surround sound system, along with the satelite (that is hooked into the DVD), and the TV (hooked into the home theater). The DVD goes into the receiver with an optical cable. The DVD works fine,plays and records great, however, we get no video or sound at all when in video mode. Why would that be? Any suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: Tipstir

Post Number: 19
Easy said and done, I have Comcast Digital Box well two in fact.

Have 3 VCRs Hi-Fi Stereo, 1 Home DVD Recorder and 1 PC CATV Tuner DVR Recorder.

This is what I do:

To record just analog channels 2 to 95:

PCTV CATV Stereo dbx Tunner is connected through a 3 way 2.5GHz high output gold plated splitter. I have replaced most of the coax cable that Comcast uses for 2.3GHz Quad Digital Coax. Dish TV uses 3.0GHz. Anyway this helps the signal stay strong without using power amps.

DVD Recorder and the VCRs all have there own coax connections for RF IN. I don't use RF Out.

Comcast Box has it's own coax line which doesn't have anything to do with the DVD Recorder and VCRs which have a 2-3 way high ouput splitter for low loss. So the Comcast connects directly with the TV.

Now hows do you get Digital Channels well you could get a box for each Recorder that's expensive to rent all those extra boxes per month.

Digital Channels 100 and up!

If you go to your local Radio Shack store for $49 bucks at the time it was $39 you can get a 4-way audio and video splitter which also handles s-video conversions too. For each box you have you would need one of these devices.

This is how you record off Digital, it works and the picture quality is so good on a DVD Recorder and very good on SONY VCR.

So basically were you have your video out, audio left and right out and s-video out you would connect to the input of the 4-way audio video amp which has it's own power supply. It has 1 set of inputs s-video, standard video, stereo audio all gold plated connectors. and 4 outputs.

kkf18
Unregistered guest
Can anyone help?
I have an Explorer 8000HD dual tuner dvr cable box, Sony HDTV, Panasonic receiver, Toshiba dvd recorder with HDD. I know I can't record in HD, but can I record what is saved on my dvr to my dvd recorder? It will a vcr, and the scientic atlanta website says 'no' but I hope some 'expert' can tell me otherwise.
Thanks

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Just connect it like a vcr, either by an S-Video cable or composite cables from your cable box. Be sure to input the audio on seperate RCA cables as well.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
You can record anything and convert S-Video to Regular video.

kkf18
Unregistered guest
tip..
can you please tell me what you mean by convert from s-video to regular video?
thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
There are adapters for S-video to regular video (RCA) So if you had only S-video you could convert that signal to regular video. Radio Shack (TANDY) has the device, well it's mostly a full 4-way audio/video splitter amp that has 3 sets of inputs

S-Video, R-Video, Stereo Left and Stereo Right

I input S-Video and out to Regular video and it works!

Unregistered guest
PLEASE HELP! I have a new Panasonic DLP HDTV. We just got digital cable and have a Motorola digital cable box (HDTV capable). We are trying to also attach our Sony DVD/VHS box. We are able to use the digital cable box OR the DVD/VHS, but we can't have both hooked up at the same time.

Any suggestions on how we do this so that they all work?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Yes you can have both hookup! I take it you're using Comcast or Cox, all what you need should be in the Panasonic and Sony manual for hookups. Did the cable guy come out and hookup everything for you if not call them right now!

Unregistered guest
Tipster, they did NOT hook everything up. Charter Cable only hooked up their digital cable box. We've read the instructions in the Panasonic manual and tried everything we can, but haven't been successful. I considered going to the local Radio Shack to find out if they have someone who wants to pick up some quick cash by hooking this thing up for us!

Anonymous

I'm not getting sound to my DVD Recorder. Here is my hookup

Dish Network - Svideo and optical audio out to Receiver
Sony VCR - Composite Audio/Video into Receiver
Denon 2805 Receiver - Svideo and composite audio out to DVD Recorder, Svideo out to TV
Phillips HDRW 720 DVD Recorder - Svideo out and optical audio out to receiver

I get video to display, but no sound. Any ideas?Mike

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Mike,

Do you have a digital camera and can you take a picture of your rear connections for these devices so I can figure out what you have going on? This site you can upload an image.

Dish TV -- not a problem to hookup
Sony VCR -- not a problem to hookup
Receiver --- might be your problem
DVDRW -- not a problem to hookup

How old is the Denon Receiver?

Take the Sony VCR out of the Picture
Does your Dish Receiver have Digital coax or optical connections?

Take me a picture of your:

Denon receiver rear deck
Dish TV rear
DVD Recorder
The VCR well that's not complex

Since it's Xmas Eve you might have solve this problem already? If not contact me ASAP, I'll see what you have type, I get it auto send to me.

Username: Gussdog

Lumberton, Texas USA

Trying to connect my new Panasonic DMR-E85H DVD recorder, with no luck. Here is my set up.
1. TV Zenith L17W36,
2. Panasonic DMR-E85H dvd recorder
3. Time Warner Cable (digital cable box by Motorola DCT5100
4. Plain old JVC VCR,
Ive tried the manuals and still no luck with the connections.
Thanks for any help.
gussdog

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
What's on the back of the TV for connections?

TV RF, S-Video, Standard Video, Audio L/R
Cable Box Coax RF, S-Video, Standard Video, A/LR

DVD Recorder you should have S-Video, Two RF, Standard Video, Audio Digital, Analog LR

This stuff isn't that hard to install.

Choices: S-Video or Video
If you don't have a Video/Audio Switch Box get one. You have 4 devices there

[Cable Box]
[VCR]
[DVDRW]
[TV]

========coax=====CableTV to RF

-------------S-Video

.............Video

"""""""""Analog

++++++Digital Audio

Do you at least have a video switch or something to hook all of these into? If you just have plain Analog Video then you should be all set. If you going to mix Super Video and Analog Video together then you going to need a box that can handle that request.

Username: Gussdog

Lumberton, Texas USA

The TV has these connections,on the back component video for DVD/TV inputs and left and right audio. also composite Audio and Video inputs.
and Antenna Input for coaxial. no S-video . The cable box has component video, s-video optical spdif, RCA audio outs L and R,audio ins, and video in and out composite, The DVD recorder has component video,S-Video out 1 and 2, also audio in 1 and 2 with two s-videos also and optical connection. The VCR has these connections RF in and out, audio L and R and sound. Thanks David

Cail
Unregistered guest
Help! I am trying to hookup a dvd to my dvr. I have audio through the stereo fine but no picture yet....I have hooked up video out from dvd to video in on dvr but yet no picture. If I unhook the video out from the dvr to the RF modulator and hook up the video out from the dvd I get the dvd ok but then I lose my cable through the dvr.....is there something I am not doing with the dvr? Or do I need a bigger RF box?

Unregistered guest
I thought I explained it pretty well, but here is a complete picture of what is available. Can't do pictures, so hope this is what you need. Denon 2805 receiver is only a couple months old and so is Phillips DVR.
I'm not using any component video so I left that out.
(L,R,Y) = Left, Right, Yellow

DishNetwork Sat:
Out = Svideo, (L,R,Y), Coax cable, Optical Out

Phillips DVD Recorder:
In = EXT2: Svideo, (L,R,Y), Ant. Coax cable
Svideo and Y are switched automatically.
Out = OUT2: Svideo, (L,R,Y), Optical Audio Out

Denon 2805 Receiver:
In = Everything (DBS, DVD, VCR1, VCR2) all have (L,R,Y) and Svideo (switched). There are also 4 Optical Inputs.
Out = VCR1 (L,R,Y) and Svideo, VCR2 (L,R,Y) and Svideo, Monitor Svideo

Sony TV:
Svideo and (L,R,Y) of which the L,R is shared.

The only thing I am wondering is that if I'm recording DVD with analog and trying to playback using optical audio, maybe that doesn't work. But I would think the A to D converter should handle that.

If you want to email me direct instead, you can use info@huntingandfishingpays.com
Thanks,
Mike

Username: Lightingstorm

Phoenix, Az

Hi I need Help I have a
Pioneer DVD-RW
Digital cable box w/ DVR
Emerson vcr
5 input convertor
Go dvd
Apex DVD player
5.1 surround sound
27" with a/v connections

I had everything working great then ran out of non copy proc tapes while converting my collection over I bought go dvd and added a back-up dvd player I hooked up the cable the way the instructions said and nothing added another video cable to the convertor box and had good picture and sound , but could not record , tried and got the cable channel that was on I guess behind the movie , tried going dvd to dvd and the picture was so full of red unable to see . Disconnected everything now I'm stuck I can't get either dvd player to work now I hope some can help me PLeaase

Unregistered guest
what is the best way to hook up a (yet to purchase dvd recorder still looking for the best brand for around 250.00) to sony grand wega 42 inch lcd monitor with Hd (kdf 42we655)and a scienentific atlantic - adelphia dvr model 8300 hd receiver and a kenwood surround sound receiver model(krf-v6070d /vr-707) I have a sony proggresive scan Dvd hooked up to this system now and all is working fine. just needed to know if the dvd recorder replaces the sony dvd player and if you use same connections or can I just connect directly from cable box outputs to dvd recorder ??? very knew to all this stuff and any help in the best and easiest setup would be appreciated as well as the best model dvd recorder ? by the way the dvr is a 50 hour high def receiver.
thanks

chris sumreak
Unregistered guest
ps. I will be basically recording from dvr hard drive to dvd recorder as of now !!

Anonymous

Trying to connect Panasonic DVD/CD player to Magnavox VCR and Motorola DVR/Cable box with Comcast. Currently have to abandon either CABLE or DVD to route to RCA TV

fuzzy
Unregistered guest
Help! I have a new Panasonic DMR-E85H DVD recorder and everything is working well except the analog stations are fuzzy. Here is my set up.
1. JVC TV with Component Video, S-Video, Video In, RF In, R&L Audio In & Out
2. Panasonic DMR-E85H dvd recorder with component video, S-Video out 1 and 2, also audio in 1 and 2 with two s-videos RF In and Out also and optical connection.
3. CableOne Cable (digital cable box by Motorola) with S-Video, RF In & Out, Video Out and Audio Out
4. Older Sony VCR with RF In/Out and RCA

I have the cable split going to the Cablebox and VCR. Then VCR connected to DVR with RCA. Cablebox connected to the DVR with S-Video. DVR connected to the TV with Component Video.

According to the manual this is the setup that should work. Things work well on the digital channels but the picture isn't clear on the analog channels.

I talked to Panasonic and they recommended RF connection from Cable Box the DVR to Tv. This seem to defeat the purpose of a digital connection.

Is there an alternate wiring I can use to clear up the analog stations or and item that you would recommend.

Thank you

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I talked to Panasonic and they recommended RF connection from Cable Box the DVR to Tv. This seem to defeat the purpose of a digital connection.

Of course it will, if you wish to display an analog signal correctly you need to eliminate the A/D conversion of the STB. Your DVD recorder will do a much better job of the conversion.

xvxvxvx

fuzzy
Unregistered guest
So how do I eliminate the A/D conversion of the STB when it is necessary to receive the majority of my channels?

Unregistered guest
how do i hook up a digital cable box,dvd recorder and tv correctly. i have dvd to tv via s vidio line and cable from wall to box to spliter and then to tv and dvd but am having n o luck. thanks

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
So how do I eliminate the A/D conversion of the STB when it is necessary to receive the majority of my channels?

I and many others use an S-video output from your STB to the L1 input of your E-85 which will allow you to record all channels. We then use a splitter from the RF cable and send one output directly to one of the RF inputs on our E-85. This allows you to record all the analog channels from this input. Pretty simple and an effective method to record the best of both analog and digital inputs.

Once you setup is wired correctly the E-85 does the rest when you program the recording options you just choose which input to record from.

Hope this helps,

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
I need a way to hook up a Toshiba DVR to a system that includes a Harmon kardon AVR 325, Toshiba HDTV Projection TV and a Hughs HD reciever( both composite and compenent hook ups on reciever)- I'm stumped. I would appreciate any detailed solution.

Unregistered guest
can someone help, have dvdr DMR-E55S,trying to hook up to combo tv/sat receiver,supplied hookup instructions don't cover that section, unless i'm reading them wrong, any help welcomed,JOHN

Unregistered guest
I m trying to set DVR Motorola from Comcast to a 36" Zenth tv and with a combo vcr/ dvd ( im drinking coffee with no hair - sign frustrated man ) ...

Unregistered guest
I m trying to set DVR Motorola from Comcast to a 36" Zenth tv and with a combo vcr/ dvd ( im drinking coffee with no hair - sign frustrated man ) ...

Anonymous

I want to record recorded programs to my computer? What do I need to purchase? I have a cox motorola tuner/reocorder

Blurman
Unregistered guest
I'm trying to connect an old RCA TV, a VCR, a DVD player and a digital cable box. I thought I needed an RF modulator because of the old TV. Hooked everything up according to the modulator manual directions and can't get the DVD player to operate. TV and VCR are fine. What did I do wrong? Also, if using a digital cable box is RF modulator needed?

Anonymous

help. my request will be simple for you techno wizzards so please help with the connection.
philips tv with 2 scart sockets, sky +, philips dvd recorder 610 also with 2 scarts. looks so easy but at the moment when i turn dvd on or off its turns off the tv!!! cant quite work out copy function on sky +..... aerials between everything also a bit of a muddle...like i say please help.

Username: Fam46

GOT A GO VIDIO FOR CHRISTMAS. HOOKED IT UP PER INSTRUCTIONS. WE HAVE COMCAST DIITAL CABLE. TO GET THE MENUE UP ON THE TV, YOU HAVE TO TURN TV ON CHANNEL 4. HIT RECORD PICTURE GOES FUZZY. CHANNEL 3 CLEAR BUT YOUR RECORDING CHANNEL 4 IN FUZZ. DVD RECORDER HAS ITS ON TUNER. IT SET ON CHANNEL 3.

Unregistered guest
I have a brighthouse cable dvr, JVC TV and a new Panasonic DVD/Video Recorder. I have everything hooked up = I can see and hear everything fine - however, it appears that if I want to record anything - it only records what is on the screen at the time. When I try to set the timer recording - it only allows me to pick from Channel 3, L1, L2 and TP. I can't watch one thing and record something else, unless I'm setting the program up wrong. I spoke to Cable company and they said Radio Shack had what I needed, but the salesperson didn't indicate anything other than a 2nd (red/yellow/white??) connection between DVD/Video Recorder and DVR, with the first one being between DVD/Video Rec. and TV. It didn't change anything. All of this lingo is foreign to me, so hopefully I can understand what you tell me! Cable co. indicated that I could record from DVR and if I decided to keep it = there was a way to transfer it to the DVD recorder WHILE watching something else. I would also like to be able to record channels over 125. Is there help for me?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Your manual will tell you how to setup for part of what you want to do. It will allow you to record an analog channel while watching any other channel on your TV. Infortunately if you want to record a show on a channel over 125 you must have it on your display while recording.

xvxvxvx

Cunfused in WI
Unregistered guest
I have a Stereo TV, DVR, VHS, DVD and Home Theatre system. Everything seems to work well however we need to have the vcr on in order to get sound when using the DVR.

Did I hookup something wrong?

Thanks!!!

Bill Boneer
Unregistered guest
I plan to use this:

4-OUTPUT COMPONENT VIDEO + AUDIO DISTRIBUTION AMP
Broadcast a single component video signal & audio to multiple sources

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=509&sku=41065&engine=adwords!654& keyword=%28component+video+splitter2%29

to split the signal from my HD DVR box from Time Warner sending one to the HDTV and another to the DVD Recorder. I think this should work.

Username: Dweightfan31

Chesterfield, MI USA

I am new to the boards but have a question I cannot figure out. I have the following:

Comcast Motorola DVR
JVC Television
Apex DVD Video Recorder
Samsung VCR

I was told when my DVR was hooked up by Comcast that the main cable wire coming from the wall HAD to be connected to the DVR. They then connected the red/white/yellow wires from DVR to the TV.

How do I have to connect everything to make them work?

This is how I have it now:
**red/white/yellow from DVR to VCR
**regular "screw in cord" from VCR to DVD Recorder
**red/white (only two outlets) from DVD to TV (also only two outlets.

What am I doing wrong? The DVD player works, but signal from DVR I am getting no picture, just sound.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Describe all the different input connections on the back of your TV and I'll be able to help. Initially it sounds like you have a pretty old analog Tv, if so you aren't gonna like my answers. Also please respond with your Tv Model # and manufacturer.

xvxvxvx

Username: Dweightfan31

Chesterfield, MI USA

The TV has a red & yellow for push in cord, and a screw in port with tiny hole in center.

TV is a JVC Model # c-20910, serial #12313230

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
It is an analog only set, the DVR outputs a digital signal except thru the RCA composite cables (red/white/yellow) or via an S-Video cable, yet your TV only has an RF input and the single analog and mono audio input.. The best thing you can do is purchase an inexpensive digital TV or an analog set that has an S-Video input.

I suppose you can go to Radio Shack and buy a splitter for the yellow video cable. Then run one to your Tv and another to your VCR. Or you can route the video and audio through your VCR but then you'll need two sets of RCA composite cables.

Let me know if you have any other questions but if you can afford a new TV you really should do that right away. The DVR is at it's best when outputting a digital signal as it was meant to do for your display.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

I am trying to hook up a sanyo tv with a Digital cable box, a wireless dish network cable, and a apex dvd player but my sanyo tv does not have an audio and sound input in the back of the tv.(the red, yellow, and white slot)Can you help me?

Silver Member

Post Number: 680
If there are no RCA inputs in the front or back, you need an RF modulator.

jsurface
Unregistered guest
I am thinking about purchasing a Pioneer Elite 810HD monitor. From what I understand, the PIP function will not work in any monitor-only HDTV for multiple live channels (like two football games), only for viewing a live channel and another source like a DVD. To use PIP for 2 live channels, I think I need an HDTV with a built-in tuner - but I don't want to spend the extra money.

I will be configuring the monitor to a dual tuner Comcast (Jacksonville) DVR. So, assuming I am right above, will the dual tuners in the DVR fix the problem and allow true pip for live cable channels?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I will be configuring the monitor to a dual tuner Comcast (Jacksonville) DVR. So, assuming I am right above, will the dual tuners in the DVR fix the problem and allow true pip for live cable channels?

No, the limitation in your TV is two digital inputs on your PIP question. The Comcast DVR does not yet have a PIP capability. That will be addressed in a future hardware change but it may be years before Comcasts purchases the new boxes.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

Just acquired a DMR-E85HEB model. Seems to work fine apart from that when trying to tune the channels available (auto and manually) I get the message that there is no signal. What comes through the aerial lead to the RF input is cable channels from a central source. TV tunes with no problem, why not the DVR? Can watch all channels with aerial coax lead from wall to DVR and then on to TV.

Angel26
Unregistered guest
I just bought a DVD Recorder the other day. Can someone please help me and tell me how to hookup all of these devices. TV,VCR,DVD player,DVD recorder,Satellite, I would like it to be able to record the DVD player, VCR, and the satellite to the DVD Recorder if possible without having to take apart the connections. I appreciate whom ever is helping me. Thank you

Silver Member

Post Number: 697
You can't record from the DVD player without a stabilizer, if the videotapes are prerecorded then you won't be able to copy them either. Some aren't copy protected, but not many. Connect the satellite to the recorder with RCA jacks or an s-video cable for video and RCA jacks for audio. Connect the VCR with RCA jacks too. If the TV has component inputs connect the DVD recorder to them, if not use an s-video cable, if it doesn't have that either use RCA jacks.

Angel26
Unregistered guest
David,

Thank you so much for your help. I do have one question though where would I hook up the other regular DVD Player at? Also I do have home videos that I would like to copy on the DVD with the directions you gave me would they work or would I need to do something different?
Thank you,
Angel26

Silver Member

Post Number: 698
You can copy home videos, just not retail videos. If you have 2 inputs on the TV, connect the DVD player to the other one. You can watch DVDs through the recorder, you just can't copy them. If you have too many sources and not enough inputs on the TV, you can use a video switcher.

Angel26
Unregistered guest
Thank you so much for your help. This will help me alot.

Unregistered guest
In a couple weeks I'll be hooking up a new system. I plan on using Comcast HD signal box, Denon 3805 with component switching, and a Pany or Toshiba DVD player recorder. Im unsure of how to hook it all up. Cable will go into the Comcast box I assume. then output to one of the components in the receiver? DVR component out to another component in the receiver? Component out of the receiver to the TV (JVC52Z585). Optical outs of the box and dvd for audio into the receiver. Does this sound right? Or do the Comcast box and DVD player/recorder need to be connected somehow? Seems like they would to get recording to work. Thanks for any input.

Charmaine
Unregistered guest
I have a comcast digital cable box, comcast dvr and a lcd HD tv...how do I hook up the dvr? there is a plug that runs from the dvr (to the wall, of course), and cable in and cable out plugs on the dvr....what do I hook to what?

Unregistered guest
Please help, I am planning to get the Comcast dual tuner DVR. However, I would like to connect a VCR also. How do I do this?

For example, I currently have cable from wall going into cable box,
From cable box, the cable wire goes to VCR,
Form VCR, the cable wire goest into the TV.

With this setup I can records non-digital channels on my VCR and record digital channels on my VCR if I leave the VCR on channel 3 and turn on my cable box to the digital channel I want to record.

I want to be able to still record to my VCR non-digital and digital channels when I get my DVR. Please help.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Purchase a quality RF cable splitter, send one leg to your Motorola DVR and the other to your VCR.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
By using a splitter, will I be able to record from my Motorola DVR to the VCR by having the TV and VCR on channel 3 and be recording what is on the DVR?

Silver Member

Post Number: 775
Use RCA jacks instead of coax to connect the DVR to the VCR, then set the VCR to line. The VCR should connect to the TV with RCA jacks too if possible.

Unregistered guest
TO: David Massey

So are you saying to still split the cable from wall, 1 to VCR and another to DVR. Then connect DVR to VCR with RCA jack cables? But, how do I record from DVR to VCR? How do I watch VCR programs through my TV? I am still a little confused - sorry, this is all new to me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 776
Unless you want to record from cable to the VCR, there is no reason to split the cable to the VCR. To record from the DVR, connect RCA jacks from DVR to VCR, this will result in a better picture and better audio. Connecting the VCR to the TV with RCA jacks will give a better picture and stereo audio if your TV is stereo, coax will be mono. If you use coax from the DVR to the VCR you will get mono audio too.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
" If you use coax from the DVR to the VCR you will get mono audio too."

First mistake I've ever seen you make there David. The above is incorrect. Also he stated in his initial post that he still wanted to be able to record cable to his VCR, that is why I gave him the preferred method of using an RF splitter.

xvxvxvx

lindsey
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have a new Samsung DLP TV, A DVD player, A tivo series two, and we are getting a comcast digital cable box this weekend. Right now we have analogue cable split, with on side going into the tivo and then out from the tivo through an S-Video cable to the tv. We have the other side of the split go directly into the tv so we can watch tv while recording a program on Tivo. The dvd is also directly connected to the tv. When we get digital cable can we spilt the digital signal without getting another box? We still want to run a direct signal through S-video into the TV and also run an s-video from digital cale to tivo and from tivo to tv so we can still record. Does anyone know if this is possible? Do the comcast boxes have s-video outputs? (and how many?). We would really like to be able to eatch tv and record at the same time (and have digital cable through all access points to improve picture). Thank you!

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Comcast provides 5 different cable boxes all capable of HD, all with different output configurations and capabilities. You either need to get the exact model numberof your box or just wait till this weekend and see what connections it both has and which are enabled.

xvxvxvx

jack's wife
Unregistered guest
We have a Sharp t.v. and comcast digital cable. (no vcr hooked-up) Just bought a Panasonic DVR DMR-E85H. Husband can't figure out how to get this and won't call to get help. (?)Is this posible to get this working? Now he has it hooked so that we don't have digital anymore and the dvr still doesn't work. He thinks this might download the guide screen....this time. I doubt this. Can we have the comcast digital and the DVR together? Thank you so much.

Anonymous

I had comcast digital cable installed this afternoon. The tv seems to work allright on video 2 but my dvd recorder doesnt work at all. The diagrams in the manuel that was left dont look anything like back of the cable box. I dont know ig they hooked it up right or not. Comcast Motorola Digital Cable box to Panasonic DVDrecorder DMR-E80H to Sony Trinitron KV-27S25. Any help will be much appreciated.

Anonymous

I had comcast digital cable installed this afternoon. The tv seems to work allright on video 2 but my dvd recorder doesnt work at all. The diagrams in the manuel that was left dont look anything like back of the cable box. I dont know ig they hooked it up right or not. Comcast Motorola Digital Cable box to Panasonic DVDrecorder DMR-E80H to Sony Trinitron KV-27S25. Any help will be much appreciated.

Anonymous

Silver Member

Post Number: 920
Connect the box to the recorder with an s-video cable or RCA jacks, then set the recorder on whatever input you used. Connect the recorder to the TV with in order of preference, the triple component cables, an s-video cable, RCA jacks, only one of the three, then set the TV on whatever input you used to watch the recorder.

Unregistered guest
I finally have all equipment hooked up. Love it all, but still have one question. I have comcast HD box, components into receiver, then to tv for watching tv. I have a Panasonic E85, that records fine but doesnt seem to record the audio in stereo. I have it hooked up from the cable box with S-video and L/R audio cables for recording. . Picture comes in fine. But the audio during playback I only get out of my front right speaker. This is the only glitch. Any thoughts?

Silver Member

Post Number: 923
Sounds like a defective cable or input, probably cable. Try another cable and/or input.

Username: Michael

Hi: I recently purchased a JVC DVD Recorder & VCR (DR-MV1S), also at the same time, got from Comcast a Motorola DCT6412 DVR. I already had a Sony Home Theatre. I have hooked things up such that I can do everything except:

1) Get surround sound while watching TV--for approprate shows/channels. I was able to do this with my previous Comcast single-tuner DVR.

2) Record (while watching) to DVD, channels above 99.

3) Record to DVD shows stored on the DVR.

4) Put on DVD, VHS tapes and vice versa. It seems that despite seemingly following the instructions in the manual, the DVD recorder/VCR only wants to record from what's playing via he cable box and not what's on it's other deck.

Any help (especially on #3) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Michael

Unregistered guest
We have a new Panasonic DVD/VHS burner that we are trying to make work thru our Time Warner HD DVR(using a 26in Toshiba LCD HDTV). We know that we cannot burn something in HD but we want to be able to burn DVD's from regular recordings on our DVR. We are totally frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.

Unregistered guest
We have a new Panasonic DVD/VHS burner that we are trying to make work thru our Time Warner HD DVR(using a 26in Toshiba LCD HDTV). We know that we cannot burn something in HD but we want to be able to burn DVD's from regular recordings on our DVR. We cannot get anything to work. We are totally frustrated. Any help in how to hook this up would be appreciated.

adam9191
Unregistered guest
I bought an Emerson EWR20V4 DVD/VCR recorder and have it hooked up via cable input to Charter cable box to DVD/VCR and it operates through remote control connection from the cable box. I would like to hook it up so that all goes through the DVD/VCR but cannot get channels above 99 to work (they are scrambled). Is there a way to work around this so that all controls go through the DVD/VCR? Adam

Silver Member

Post Number: 960
If those are digital channels you have to use the box. If the box has s-video or RCA outputs you should be using those anyway, you'll get better audio and video both.

Adam9191
Unregistered guest
Thank you, David. That explains it.

Unregistered guest
Hi. I have a Scientific Atlanta DVR that I am renting from Time Warner for my digital service. Is it possible for me to buy another DVR or the Panasonic DVR and hook it up to a 2nd tv so it will receive digital channels also? I figure it would be cheaper in the longer run to buy a unit rather than renting another one from Time Warner.

Unregistered guest
I cannot get my DVD-R to send a signal to my TV. I have Dish network and the TV must be on channel 60 to get the signal. Then I use the UHF remote to change the channels through my DVR downstairs. Problem is once the DVD-R is in the loop (and on channel 60) the signal is lost even if I change my TV channel to 3. I go LINE-IN to DVD-R ANTENNA-IN. Then from DVD-R OUTPUT to the TV. The only way I get a signal is if the DVD-R is turned off. If it's on, then no signal. Obviously, when its on the channel slection is what seems to be stopping it and I have tried multiple senarios. Any ideas?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1071
Use an s-video cable or RCA jacks to connect the satellite to the DVD recorder, then set the recorder on whatever input you used.

Unregistered guest
The new "DISH Network" DVR downstairs uses my existing COAX line to get the signal upstairs. The "Dish" DVR (downstairs) only has a remote for upstairs so I have to go COAX (upstairs) into the VCR/DVD-RW upstairs. I have it (VCR/DVD-RW) set to channel 60 and I have tried COAX, S-VIDEO and RCA to the TV from the VCR/DVD-RW, but I have not been able to get a signal from the DVD-RW to my TV no matter what I do. My only concern is that it is my VCR/DVD-RW, but I had no problem before I switched from DirectTV to Dish Network cause DTV worked off of channel 3. However, this should not be an issue if I have the VCR/DVD-RW on channel 60 ILO of 3. The TV works by itself on channel 60, but not through the VCR/DVD-RW while it is on. Keep in mind... It does work when the VCR/DVD-RW is turned off, which means the signal is in there somewhere but is being blocked when the unit is turned on. But if it is not on, then no recording... Any ideas?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1077
Is the recorder's tuner on antenna or cable? Whichever it's on, try the other.

Unregistered guest
I have a Symphonic SR90VE (http://www.symphonic.us/support/manuals.aspx). I was not able to find tuner selectiion. I was able to find alternate inputs (pg. 37), but I would need to get a convertor from COAX to S-VIDEO/RCA. I do not think this will fix it cause is was working fine before and I did not change any settings. I have even tried different inputs into my LCD TV like S-VIDEO and RCA by changing the input selector there, but same thing. While the DVD-RW is on, the TV sees it by stating "NTSC" after searching for the signal, but then I get a blank screen. I can see the DVD-RW setup screen and everything so I know its talking. Also, once again, as soon as I turn the DVD-RW off and change the TV to channel 60 ILO 3 I get a picture again. Maybe you can see something in the manual that I am missing. Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1080
Try having the sat on and autoprogram the channels, if it's getting a signal it will program the channel it's receiving on in.

Kindigulous
Unregistered guest
Anyone here have Charter Communications digital cable service and able to download the "TV Guide" schedule to their Panasonic DMR-E85HS? If so, please let me know how you did it. I've got all homogenous video gear (i.e., Panasonic TV and VCR) and a Scientific-Atlanta digital receiver connected as shown in the Panasonic pictorial.

BTW: I spoke to a Panasonic technician today (after an hour+ hold time) and specifically asked the following two questions: 1) "Are you aware of any issues with Charter blocking the "TV Guide" schedule data?" and 2) Are you aware of any "TV Guide"-related issues when using the DMR-E85HS with digital cable?" The answer was NO for both (of course).

Question(s): What's the difference between the "A" and the "B" that appears on the right-hand side of the channel number within the channel listing? I know how to enter an "A" type number as well as produce one without an "A", but how do you enter a "B" number value?

Unregistered guest
David, I tried the autoprogram and it found the channel. Thanks a bunch, i'm up and running. Oddly enough... It selected channel 60, go figure. I guess it just had to find it on it's own.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1082
It had to select the right input cable/antenna. Some equipment doesn't have a manual select, it does it by itself when it autoprograms. It was on the wrong one, autoprogramming changed it to the other one. Channel 60 is different on cable than it is on antenna, different bands.

Unregistered guest
I love my husband, and bless his heart he's tried to hook all of this up, but I think he's given up...and it's still not right!!(LOL)

I'll try to give you as much information as I can. This is what we have:

-an older Sharp 27N-S100 television..very few
inputs in the back ..Video, and Audio L & R,
Ant/Cable, "S-Video" above a little hole with
arrows pointing to it, beneath that there's
place for a cable with those funky little pins.
And in the front three more inputs marked "Video
IN2 (yellow, white, and red).
-a new Toshiba RS-TX20 digital media server
-a Sony Dream System DAV-FR1
-a Sanyo VCR (an old mono..soon to be replaced
cuz we have lots of tapes)
-an RCA ("DirectTV Plus)satelite receiver

Right now, the Toshiba works okay with the satelite and television, but I can't use the VCR because there's no picture and no sound..and I can't play a DVD on my surround because there's no picture..but IT sounds great!

I think there's no picture because we lost one of the input channels. On my Toshiba remote there's a button for changing the input channel...we used to have 1,2, and 3 and they all worked. Now channel 1 works with the Toshiba, 2 does nothing, and I have a 69 now instead of a "3"..which also does nothing..(I'm dying here!!)

In fact, EVERYTHING used to work, so I know it's possible..(LOL)but he kept fiddling with it and now we can't find our way back. I made him stop mid-coronary because he was ready to chuck it all out the window!!(LOL) Can you help?

Thanks,
Beth

Peas
Unregistered guest
"Can you help?
"

Divorsce him and find a husband who will leave well enough alone.

Peas

Beth B
Unregistered guest
"Divorsce him and find a husband who will leave well enough alone."

I think it's a guy thing..besides, he's so cute!

NancyHawaii
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Sony 50" Grand WEGA. I hooked up the Scientific Atlanta using S-Video because it doesn't have component outputs. My problem is... not all stations are clear. The picture quality I've got is no match to what i've seen at the stores. I've read a lot of reviews on this particular tv and no one ever complained about the picture quality. Is there some kind of 'magic button' or setting I was suppose to press? Maybe I did the setup wrong? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

ianianian
Unregistered guest
My Toshiba D-R4 dvd recorder isn't picking up many of my cable channels (Comcast digital cable). What am I doing wrong? Only about 20 are coming in, when there should be a couple hundred.

Unregistered guest
HELP PLEASE! HERE IS THE PROBLEM. 1 OLDER TV, 1 COMCAST DVR BOX, 1 DVD PLAYER, 1 JVC RECEIVER. HOW THE HELL DO I HOOK THEM ALL UP. WHEN THE CABLE GUY HOOKED UP THE DVR BOX, HE DISCONECTED THE DVD VIDEO THAT WAS RUNNING INTO THE TV. NOW I CAN HEAR THE DVD THROUGH THE RECIEVER WHEN I TURN THE CABLE BOX OFF BUT THE YELLOW VIDEO CONECTION FROM THE DVD HAS NO WHERE TO GO AND I HAVE NO PICTURE. WHAT CAN I DO TO HAVE A DVD AND DVR PLAYER ALL HOOKED UP AT THE SAME TIME USING WHAT I CURRENTLY HAVE? ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Unregistered guest
Can you record a show from cable to a vcr?

Anonymous

im trying to hook up a Motorola dVR unit for digital cable to an emerson vcr and a panasonic home theater dvd unit....and am completely lost...any pointers>

Anonymous

im trying to hook up a Motorola dVR unit for digital cable to an emerson vcr and a panasonic home theater dvd unit....and am completely lost...any pointers>

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us