Samsung HLM437W or Philips 55PL9773?

Username: Gambit

Post Number: 4
I'm debating between the Samsung HLM437W and the Philips 55PL9773. My original idea was to go with the Philips 44PL9773, but after I contacted Philips and found out that they decided not to produce the 44 inch Cineos, I decided to go with the 55 inch Cineo. Now after I saw the Sammy DLP, I'm debating on that now. I'd prefer to get a 43 or 44 inch tv for the space I have, but I have been keeping up with the Cineos for a while now and think LcOS is the way to go. I know most of the drawbacks to both, but could use some help. Do DLP's have burn in? Which do you think has the better black levels, DLP or LcOS? I don't think there are any places close by me that carry the Cineos, so I can't check them out, please post your opinions on the Cineos and how they compare to the Sammy DLP. Advice please.

Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 19
Just bought a Samsung DLP 507W. There is no burn in with fixed pixel displays. My Sammy has excellent blacks, no excess green or red. I debated for 6 months on what to buy. I would avoid the Cineos, I thought the picture was not as good.
-E

Post Number: 5
Just started checking out the Sony KV34XBR910 and the Sony KV-40XBR800, and they sound impressive. I'm going to drop the Philips Cineos as an option for a while because it would be too big for for the space I have to work with and I want to see the problems with LcOS get worked out, I really think LcOS will be one of the surviving HDTV formats, but it has its own problems to work out.

Now I'm going to start deciding between the Samsung HLM437W and either the Sony KV34XBR910 or KV-40XBR800. I have some questions about the Sonys.

1. Both say they convert 720p signals to 1080i, where as (I think) the Sammy DLP converts 1080i signals to 720p? Which is the better looking 1080i or 720p?

2. I looked at the photos and read the info about both of the Sonys, the KV34XBR910 looks and sounds like the screen is 16:9 aspect ratio, is this true? The KV-40XBR800 sounds like the screen is 16:9 aspect ratio, but in the pictures it looks like 4:3, which is it?

3. From what I've been reading on this message board is that CRTs offer the best picture quality, is this true? Also do the black levels look the best on a CRT tv?

4. I know CRTs have been around a long time, so its tried and true technology, but how long do think it would be before I start to notice any picture degredation in the Sony CRTs I'm considering?

If someone could please answer me these questions, that would be a big help. Also thank you to Eric K for answering questions in my previous post.

Post Number: 20
Gambit,
The 40" Sony is a 4x3 set. The 34" is 16x9. Pretty much all of the reviews of the 34XBR910 are excellent, better than the other 34" 16x9 sets out there. CRTs certainly offer the best black levels. But those sets really do weigh a lot, about 150 pounds (maybe 200) for the 34". If you watch a 4x3 image on a 34" 16x9 set without stretching, you are going to have a much smaller image. A 4x3 image on my 50" 16x9 set is really about 41" diagonal.
The Samsung does convert everything to 720P. THis is supposed to be better than 1080i for sports or other fast moving images. Sure 1080 is more lines than 720, but remember, it is 1080 interlaced.
I am not sure how the CRTs handle DVD images which should come out as 480p with a progressive scan player. They may be converted to 1080i, but I'm not sure. Something to look into.
-E

Post Number: 7
Thank you for all your help Eric K, I think I have finally made up my mind. I'm probaly going to go with the Sony KV34XBR910. I really like the Sammy DLP, but I'm thinking it might still be too big for the room I have. So it looks like space and price are telling me to go with the Sony, which I think I will. I just can't wait now to get it, I'm waiting for my tax return (actually still waiting for my W-2) , I'm just going to put my tax return towards the tv, and then take out money from paychecks to make up the difference. The Sammy is 3,499.99 before tax and the Sony is 2,499.99 before tax, so if I get the Sony, I'll also get it sooner.

Thanks again for your help and answering my questions Eric K.

Post Number: 22
Gambit,
What is your viewing distance? I recommend bringing a tape measure to the store and checking set sizes from your viewing distance. I went with a 50", from 8 feet. THis is perfect, although I am going to move to a bigger place soon. Try checking out the viewing distance calculator at:
http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
The screen sizes seemed a bit big to me.
As far as the prices, you should be able to do better with each. You can definitely negotiate the price, even at CC. I bought my set from HiFi Buys, no interest financing for 15 months.
-E
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us