VHS to DVD Newbie

Username: Tdoran70

NJ

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I have been reading this board the last day or so and I believe that I actually have more questions now than I did before. Here it goes....

I am interested in converting lots of old VHS and VHS-C (as well as DVD or PS2) to DVD. At this point I do not have a DVD burner or recorder. Here are my PC specs (it is an older machine but it will work with most of the burners that I've seen)

P3 600 MHz
XP Professional
384 MB RAM
50 GB HD
128 MB Video Card

VCR is a Sony SLV-688HF or an Emerson EWV403
I have both

What do you recommend that I go with? A DVD burner for my PC or a stand alone DVD Recorder.

If you recommend a burner for my PC, what else would I need (video capture card, sound card w/AV inputs? if there is one? as well as any Software recommendations)

I also know that my DVD player (Apex AD-1110) will play DVD-R. Is it possible that it would work with DVD+R which I understand can be written to faster.

Any help that you can give me is appreciated. I want to make sure that I make the best decision possible.

Thanks again!

Thomas Doran
tdoran70

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 297
Your PC is at the bottom end as far as burners, they recommend a 1.7 or so. You would need a capture card. I wouldn't worry too much about the faster burning of the +R, most people prefer -R. Burning faster means more errors and less compatibility. A standalone would have the advantage of being able to record TV programs, but the computer has more options as far as menus, chapter marking etc. I don't know if they still have it, but Office Max had a Mad Dog, actually a Toshiba, burner for $9 after rebates.

NJ

Post Number: 2
Thanks for responding to my question. I went to CompUSA this afternoon. I really have to look into getting a faster CPU or a whole new computer. I saw a MadDog DVD burner that can do dual layered discs for $80 after rebates. The guy I talked to also showed me a VideOh! PCI card to get the video into my computer. I'll let you know what happens when I figure it all out. Thanks again!!!

Tom

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
I got the NEC 3500A, a very high quality burner for $76 from Newegg.com, a very good place to buy from that I highly recommend.

NJ

Post Number: 3
Does anyone else have any suggestion on what DVD burner I should get. Like I said, the MadDog drive that I saw at COMPUSA seemed cool since you could use the double layered discs which just makes more sense. I have also heard that Sony makes a pretty good drive. Thanks again for the help!

Tom

Here is a link to the drive:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=314998&pfp=SEARCH

Let me know what you think!

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
The NEC does dual layer too. I wouldn't worry much about that either since dual layer blanks cost 20X or more than what a DVD-R is. Not many Sony owners have much good to say about them, the next best would be Pioneer A108, in fact many will argue it's better than NEC.

NJ

Post Number: 4
David,

the first thing I have to say is thank you for all of your help today. I purchased a 1.0 ghz cpu this afternoon, a little better than what I have now. Speed is not really a concern for me. I ordered the NEC drive and some -r media. I am going to go out tomorrow and get the Video capture card. The last question that I have is what software do you recommend using? I have already downloaded DVD Shrink. I am not sure which burning program to use. I know that Nero is a very popular program, but I was wondering if there was something else out there that may be better. Thanks again, I look forward to getting this project started.

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
I use Nero, which is what works with DVD Shrink. If you got the software version of the NEC it comes with either Nero or Roxio. You can get Nero here for $5.50 if you have an e-bay account. They have a new version 6.6 you will be able to upgrade to when you install the old version.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80200%26item%3D6713757638 %26
Here is the update
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Nero_Burning_Rom__Reloaded-Download-5270.h tml

Beware of cheap media, it can cause alot of problems. I use Prodiscs from Rima, they are about 36 cents apiece when bought 100 at a time, shipping included.

NJ

Post Number: 5
David,

I ordered the Prodiscs from meritline.com. I purchaed 25 (it cost me $11.25) just to make sure that they were cool. I also picked up 50 DVD cases as well. The shipping was out of control at almost $12. If you have a better place to get them from, I'd love to hear about it. I just purchased the Nero from that link as well. As far as upgrading goes, will I have to pay for that or will I get it for free? Yes, I am cheap! Thanks again for the help!!!

Tom

Silver Member

Post Number: 304
The upgrades are free. I don't know where you are, but Rima.com is in California. I get 100 discs shipped to Utah for 4.59 I think it is. I bought 500 last time and shipping was only $11 or something like that. I haven't had any problems with the Prodiscs yet and I have burned 800+ of them on a standalone and a computer both.

Username: Usavages

Post Number: 1
I don't see an answer to Thomas's original question about whether the Apex AD-1110 will play a DVD+R disc. Mine won't seem to ("no supported files found"). Is there a way around this? If not, is there a relatively inexpensive dvd player to look for the will play DVD+R that you would recommend?

Thanks,
Steve

Silver Member

Post Number: 448
Most new players will play -R and +R both, take a disc to an electronics store and try it.

Username: Usavages

Post Number: 2
Thanks. I just bought the Apex in June...assuming it would play most anything. Am I correct that DVD+R just ain't gonna happen on the 1110?
Steve

Silver Member

Post Number: 450
You might try a different brand of media, or burning slower.

NJ

Post Number: 8
Steve,

I have a 1010 and it plays both + and - discs with no problem. Good luck!

Tom

Silver Member

Post Number: 453
Go to Best Buy, they have Fuji DVD-R discs this week for $20 for a 50 pack, take the buy 1 get 1 free coupon from the Circuit City ad and get 2 50 packs for $20. Look for made in Japan discs, they are TY discs, the best discs made. If any discs are going to work it will be those. Make sure they say Japan and not Taiwan. You might try a different burning program too.

Unregistered guest
I just purchase an LG vhs / dvd recorder. I transferred a vhs data to the dvd; microcenter could read the dvd on their PC. I now purchased a samsung dvd/cd combo burner and it will not recognize a dvd disc..only a cd. Samsung's online help and user manual is not help. Any suggestions?

Silver Member

Post Number: 455
Did you finalize the disc? Samsung is trash, period.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us