DVD brightness problem

Syd
Unregistered guest
I'm having a problem with my dvd player and was hoping for some advice. While watching dvd's (all dvd's) the picture's brightness increases and decreases throughout the entire movie. About every ten seconds, the brightness will increase for a few seconds and will decrease again. Has anyone else had a similar problem. My dvd player is a panasonic.

Also, a friend of mine has the same player but doesn't have the same problem. Could it possibly be the t.v. or maybe the connection? I have the dvd player hooked up using standard rca cables (it's the only input my t.v. has). Thanks in advance for any help.

Username: Project6

Post Number: 103
bring it to your friends house and try it on his set. At least this will narrow down which product has the problem. The changes in brightness is never normal unless it was intentional
cheers

Username: Kes601

Post Number: 2
Try getting shielded rca cables. I had this problem quite a while ago and it had to do with poor quality cables.

Passerby
Unregistered guest
If the DVD is connected through a VCR, the observed brightness cycles are a result of Macrovision copy-protection. The copy-protected DVD is encoded with a bright-burst signal that comes periodically. The "bright" burst signal fools the VCR's automatic brightness control, which drives the gain down to compensate for the bright burst (causing the actual picture to dim). As time elapses after the onset of the "bright" burst signal, the automatic brigthness gain in the VCR increases to match the picture's content (TV pictures gradually brightens to normal level).

A potential fix is to connect the DVD player to the TV via a RF modulator, bypassing the VCR. This will work if the TV does not have the automatic brightness gain control circuitry.

Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us