Component or s-video

Username: Beefeater267

Post Number: 7
hello,

i just got a new DVD player for my tv. it has both s-video and component connections. any pros/cons of which to use?

Jimbo in Dallas
Unregistered guest
Here's a quote from "Robert" on another thread:

"1. The component cables will allow a "better" picture in the sense of more information and better accuracy. A separate question is whether you'll perceive this as a "big difference" and that's going to be subjective. To my eyes it's a "noticable difference" but certainly not the sort of thing that jumps out at you in two seconds flat from across the room.

2. Component is the latest one, and is the hookup needed for HDTV's with progressive scan DVD players and hdtv tuners."

I believe he's right that Component video is supposed to be better.

Ben Q
Unregistered guest
S-Video: separates chrominance and luminance

Component: further separates chrominance into two signals

This is why component is better. Makes a big difference even on an analog tv when using a dvd player.

Discovering
Unregistered guest
Component is the way to go. Use high quality cables. Gold plated, double shielded, and made for video only. Happy viewing!

MikeWithToshiba
Unregistered guest
I have a new analog TV, with both S-video and component inputs. It's a Toshiba and calls component video 'Colorstream(R)'. The manual says it accepts 480i interlaced signals only, and that I should set my output device to do this (should I go with the component connection). However, my DVD manual mentions no options of how to set the output video mode.

I dunno if 'Colorstream(R)' is something different or just their fancy name for component video; or if the component video will actually work.

The DVD player is a few years old (it's a nominally crappy RCA RC5240P, unplugging the unit periodically has been a cure for the numerous playback problems mentioned by Amazon reviewers).

My previous TV had analog video inputs, and the amazon page on the RC5240P claims it outputs 720 pixels even thru the analog connection, although I don't think that does any good with an analog TV.

In short, is an investment in component cables going to be a waste?

Kendra
Unregistered guest
"In short, is an investment in component cables going to be a waste?"
I bought some returned component cables for my analog tv at Best Buy ($10)and dvd looks better than using s-video cable. Colorstream is just Toshiba's name for component. If your dvd player does not have a progressive scan (480p) button then signal will be 480i. Also, it may require you to go in the menu and select component output. On one dvd player I forgot to do this and the colors were whacked out using component until I changed the setting. The 720 pixels is the format of the dvd for horizontal resolution. Vertical resolution is still 480. Even with analog tv an inexpensive set of component cables will make for a nice picture using dvd player. Hope this helps. -K

MikeWithToshiba
Unregistered guest
Thanks Kendra!

ToshibaHDProblem
Unregistered guest
I have a Toshiba projection Tv with colorstream too (TN55X81 bought in 99'). I just bought a Direct TV HD DVR but I'm not impressed with the HD picture. The Toshiba will only let me set it on 480p or 480i. If I set the DVR on 720p, I get audio but no video. If I set it on 1080i it actually shuts off the TV. Does anybody know if I'm stuck with the picture or am I doing something wrong?

Anonymous

Is progressive scan compatible with analog tv?
I purchased a Koss dvd player with progressive scan, and I'm using component output,but the playback stops and starts constantly...like the drive can't keep up with the signal demand.
The only way to describe it is it seems like someone is hitting the pause button, and hitting play over and over again, making it completely unwatchable. I have tried several different dvds from factory to backups and they all jerk.
Do I have to get an non progressive scan to watch dvd's?
Thanks in advance.

Similar Toshiba Problem
Unregistered guest
ToshibaHDProblem.

Please contact me. I have the same problem as you do and am interested in talking about it (TV turns off when presented with 1080i)

rlmarm2003@yahoo.com

Anonymous

progressive scan dvd players (nearly all today are progresive scan) work with digital and analog TV's. Your player is defective.

S. Bing
Unregistered guest
"Is progressive scan compatible with analog tv?"

No. Only 480i out from dvd player will work on analog tv but a progressive scan player will work if p.s. is turned off. If you have the progressive scan button selected, simply deselect it and your player will work. However, if this fix does not work then your player is defective like Anon said. Hope this helps

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 110
WoW! This thread is a flash from the past!

Generally speaking, COMPONENT connections will give you the best picture quality - all things being equal. This would include 'one-wire' connections, such as copyright protection schemes, like DVI, HDMI and so forth...

The thing is, you cannot make statements like this, and have them be true 100% of the time, because life isn't that simple.

In the case of s-video - s-video works great on high-end camcorders (and such), where the input device has a better processor than the TV - or you have huge cable runs. That would include such oddball stuff as a $3000 camcorder being used as an input device on a $1500 TV, or an 8000 sq. ft. house, where the cable box is at one end of the dwelling and the TV is in the bedroom, at the other end of the house. Yada, yada, yada...

I guess what I'm saying is it all depends. It depends on what looks best. And, it all depends on the circumstance[s]. Don't give a pass to old technologies, just cause they're old...

K.K.18204
Unregistered guest
My TV accepts component video at 480i. I hooked up my dvd player(Koss KD365) w/ component video conn. and got a scrambled picture w/ progressive scan on or off. Is it possible to get a 480i signal from this player.

D.H.Jones
Unregistered guest
I am also having trouble with 480i output from my old non-progressive scan Panasonic (RV32) DVD. When I connected it to the 480p,1080i input on my new HDTV, I get a pretty good signal, but with some artifacts near the top of the screen. After reading the TV manual, I find that the 480p,1080i input does not accept 480i, so I switched it to the 480i input as suggested. Now I get a scrambled picture!

I didn't have an S-video cable, so I have moved it down to the composite video. I'd really rather use the 480i input.

I was not using really good cables for the YCbCr connection - could the signals be corrupted by crosstalk? The screen looks like there is a problem with timing or something. Then why would I get a clear picture in the 480p input?

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 36
There is really no serious debate on this issue. Component connections result in images that are visually superior to those run through S-video. If you don't believe it, do a side by side comparison. Don't let anyone tell you anything differently.

Unregistered guest
I have Haire Tv & LG DVD player.Both have S-vedio ports.But eventhough i connect S-vedio out to TV S-vedio input does not come signal.While connecting this if i connect normal RCA vedio out to TV vedio in shading Vedio signal comes to S-vedio mode in TV.If i disconnect this normal Vedio code & put Tv into S-vedio mode singnal does not come.What is the problem?.

Username: Niroshan

Colombo, Wetern province Sri lanka

Post Number: 1
I have Haire Tv & LG DVD player.Both have S-vedio ports.But eventhough i connect S-vedio out to TV S-vedio input does not come signal.While connecting this if i connect normal RCA vedio out to TV vedio in shading Vedio signal comes to S-vedio mode in TV.If i disconnect this normal Vedio code & put Tv into S-vedio mode singnal does not come.What is the problem?.

Username: The_nerdly_guy

Post Number: 1
TechLore ( www.techlore.com ) has a great article about the different types of connections. Here's a link to the article: http://www.techlore.com/article/10064/

Anonymous

You can find answers to almost all your questions at Monster Cable's Hookup & Learning Centre: http://www.monstercable.com/hookup_learning/

If you have a progressive scan DVD player and a progressive scan TV/display, you MUST use component video cables to use progressive scan--if you use S-Video or composite you will be looking at an interlaced picture. But, even if your source (e.g. DVD) isn't progressive scan, if it has a component video output you should use it to get the best picture quality. If you can't afford the cables, go with S-Video. If you have no choice but composite (RCA) video, at least buy a high quality cable like Acoustic Research or Monster. You can also improve your Cable TV picture quality by using a high quality (AR/Monster) Cable cable (F-type RF). Always use a screw-on cable--the cheap push-on ones will degrade the signal.

Unregistered guest
What is S- vedio port in camcoder. and how do you connect it to a computor. Camera is DV30 JVC.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us