Rear projections and video games

SeanD
Unregistered guest
IS it true that rear projestion tvs and video games don't mix? (screen burn) If so are there any better models out for vgames than others. Also What Tv would you suggest for 2,000 (US) that will be good for video games and as big as possible. Thanx!

Username: J_c_steel

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased the Toshiba 52HM84 DLP and it's PERFECT for video games. It doesn't blur action and looks fantastic.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
CRT rear projection doesnt' mix with Gaming, you're right about that, cause of the burn in issue with CRT. You have to always run everything in stretched mode to avoid burn in issues.

However, DLP and LCD rear projection don't suffer from burn in so you're ok with these two. Just make sure the TV you choose has enough inputs for everything you want to hookup.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 18
DLP sets have no burn-in issues at all but are a little out of your price range. LCD and LCoS are pretty resistant to burn-in also, but it is possible if you left a static image on the screen for a very long time. I have a JVC LCoS and they said it would take a good 10-12 hours of the same thing on screen to even get a little "ghosting"
and that would go away pretty quickly. It would take days of the same image to get permanent burn-in. This is what I was told by the JVC tech. I play tons of games on it and have had no problems. A good Friend of mine bought a 50" LCD for around $2,000 and he plays alot of Xbox on it. It has been about a year now without any problems. To stay under $2000 I would probably look at 40-50 LCD sets if you want a smaller set you can place on a table/stand. If you got the room a good old rear projection CRT set in the 50"-60 range can be had for well under $1500. I guess it just depends on how much room your willing to part with. Best thing to do would be to checkout some sets that fit your size/price requirements, then checkout this forum for reviews on what you like. Good luck!!

Chadd
Unregistered guest
hey Mr. Lynch, what 50" LCD set did your friend get for $2000???

Anonymous

Under $2000 dollars I don't think your going to get any 50" LCD, maybe a 42" floor model somewhere. Sounds like you want a big screen though. Despite what everyone is telling you here, I'd go with the bigger CRT. Yes it is possible to burn into the screen, but I've had, and actually still have, plenty of friends that play video games on CRT RP. A lot of people don't understand how long, or often, it takes to burn an image into the screen. You would have to play the SAME video game for 3-4 hours a day for a month or two straight to see a very faint amount of burn-in. Just make sure that you stretch the picture out, you'll be fine.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 25
When I bought my JVC, I could have purchased a Panasonic PT43LC14 43" LCD for $1900, or the PT50LC14 50" LCD for $2150, or a Sony KF42we610 42" LCD for $2100. They also had an older Panny PT50LC13 for $1850. These were all brand new units at Video Only. Not refurbs or floor models. They are not all quite "under" $2000 but it is close.
AS for my friend, he bought a Zenith D52WLCD 52" LCD set for $1800+ tax. The store he bought it from also had the Zenith D60WLCD 60" LCD for $2050. I don't think it has the greatest PQ, but he wanted the most bang for his buck to play games on. There are good deals out there if your willing to shop around. The mark-up on electronics is unbelievable, so stores have alot of wiggle room.

Anonymous

Yeah but don't worry about those prices, because if you keep advertising them and shipping out e-mails of your receipt to every other person on this website than pretty soon VO won't be doing those prices because there too low.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 27
Those prices are what any person could get if they went into VO. They sell a lot more sets to people that will pay full price than they do to people who haggle. For you to say that they will stop selling at those prices it idiotic. The purpose of forums like this is for people to get help deciding what to buy, and what kind of prices to pay. Not to critize or put down others. When a store pays $2200 for a TV they list at $3500, giving someone a "deal" for $2700 does not hurt them one bit. 9 out of 10 people are going to pay closer to $3500 than $2700, do you want to be one of them?

Anonymous

I don't think it's so idiotic. Last year Video Only had to lock price on the PT50LC13 because someone had posted a receipt with an extremely low deal. All managers were told not to go lower than a particular price, which was about $350 more than what the customer who posted his reciept got.

Dave Stuckey
Unregistered guest
Hey guys -- Just stumbled across this thread and was interested, since I just got an Xbox for a gift. To summerize what I have read here -- I should be okay running it on my Samsung HCM-4215W RSP?

Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us