Samsung HD841 problem

Username: Ferdelious

Post Number: 1
I just purchased the Samsung HL-P506W TV along with the Samsung HD841 DVD player. I'm running into a problem when trying to hook up the DVD players with a DVI cable. All I'm getting is a snow screen. Can anyone help?

Username: El_matador

Hamilton, On Canada

Post Number: 7
connect video cable first (yellow out to tv), this is only so you can change the video out on the dvd menu (on your tv screen) to the dvi. The samsung dvd's default is NOT DVI, you have to do this manually

Anonymous

If you have a video input in the front of your TV hook it up there after you hook up the DVI cable and then follow instructions. We did this last night and had it up and running in HD in 10 minutes. I absolutely love this DVD player. I watched Attack of the Clones and Apocalypse Now Redux and it is amazing. Hook it up DVI-->TV and digital Optical --->Receiver. Amazing!

<><

Anonymous

I have the dvd-hd841. And not to pleased.
The first dvd could not open the door properly with or without the remote. And the screen was mostly red color or tint. The second worked fine but after a couple of week this unit is displaying mostly in red tint. Any suggestions before I return the unit for a refund??

Anonymous

Do you have to change the 841 to DVI every time you turn it on and apply? This must be right because I was having this problem and had to apply the DVI and it worked great again.

<><

Unregistered guest
I have the same problem with losing settings on my DVD-HD841. I go thru the process, accept the new changes (annoying process that is the subject of several threads on this site), and watch DVI for days with no problems.

Then randomly (once a week or 2 on average) the settings all go back to default. This is not just DVI but also speaker setup for SACD, P/I-scan settings, audio compression, DTS, etc. - they all go back to default (usually OFF).

The biggest problem is that my wife usually is trying to turn on a video for the kids when im at work and she cant get any video off the DVD player. Too hard to talk thru on the phone, so usually kids have to play outside instead ;-)

BTW, the player is on an unswitched MonsterPower regulator so there is always outlet power on the machine, even when turned off.

Anyone else had this problem and come up with a fix?

Username: Stuermer

Post Number: 3
Oh, and by the way, the red tint is because you are watching component signal on your TV but the DVD player is set to S-Video only (check and I bet that's why). Reset it to "P-Scan/DVI" and it will work. It just not might stay that way for long.

mitchellcs
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys.

And it fixes the problem.

Situation is that with this model, only us (the guys) can fix the problems easily. As for the wives, they have to wait until we get home.

Now that's the problem now. And it should not be.

Again thanks.

Dessayfan
Unregistered guest
Good luck with your 841s - I have three friends who have all purchased them, and had to take them back for one problem or another. I understand the 941 - when it comes out later this year - will be much improved. I sure hope so, as I am thinking about one.

Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung HD-841 and a Samsung TXN2668WHF w/DVI input. I made the mistake of turning on my dvd player while the TV was on the wrong input setting. Now I can't get DVI to work, or regular video inputs (yellow). What can I do in order to have a functioning DVD player?

wes burian
Unregistered guest
tom, my hd-841 loses its settings and goes back to default in the same way. i have to change my video and audio settings every few weeks. i can't figure out why either.

wes

Unregistered guest
I am having problems with the HD-841, Sound keeps cutting off every 60 to 90 seconds, Units is well ventilated. Second unit with this problem

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Douglas:

I also have same problem. I notice that it occurs mostly when i have the whole family around the TV.

Seroiusly, I think it _might_ have to do with vibrations (usually audio is turned up when we are all watching a movie, this is also when it cuts out the most). I notice on mine that the video plays fine, just the audio output cuts.

I assume you are using digital output? I tried using both coax and optical and the behaviour is the same. Im not desparate enough to use analog output, but it could be worth trying when it acts up to see if the problem is isolated to digital.

One last observation/hypothesis: do you use the PCM or Bitstream output? I use bitstream (I have to reset it once in a while - see above) and the problem doesnt seem to happen as often. Might want to try playing with that to see if it affects the problem.

dstimpson@sympatico.ca
Unregistered guest
I finally took back the second Samsung 841 They replaced it with a new LG unit same cost.

Problem went away, the LG is adjustabe easier in COmponent Video. Only thing I dont like is the fact you cannot hook upboth Digital and Component inputs at the same time.

Username: Wildeman

I have had two HD841's and both times have had trouble playing back DTS. The audio cuts out about every couple minutes. I read that someone else is having this problem too. I think I will take back the unit again and wait until something else is available!!!

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 477
Samsung=trash

Unregistered guest
I'm on my second one so far and I've had the same two problems with both units. While listening to DVD-As, the audio cuts out every few minutes, but it doesn't do this with SACDs. While watching DVDs, the video looks perfect but will jitter every once in a while. It kind of flashes a couple frames back and forth for about half a second and then corrects itself. It does this in 480p, 720p, and 1080i. It's driving me nuts because there is no other DVD player with a DVI output that upconverts the video signal to hi-def as far as I can tell, at least not near the price of the 841.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 60
doesn't the new denon dvd-2910 upconvert via hdmi and dvi? (albeit at over 2x the price)

Unregistered guest
Try the Denon 1910 (DVI), Denon 2910, 3910, & 5910 (DVI & HDMI), and Sony DVP s587 (HDMI)but you need a HDMI to DVI cable.

Mike Tabor
Unregistered guest
I think the new Sony is DVP S597 not 587 and I'm not sure if it is out yet. I think it is going to be awsome. Buy the way all DVD players in the future will be having DVI and/or HDMI. This is the new standard. DVI sends uncompressed digital pix and HDMI sends uncompressed digital pix and audio.

Bronze Member

IL

Post Number: 22
I am personally fed up with this DVD player. The price was nice but:
1. the BTUs coming off this thing can heat an antarctic expidition (design flaw) - i'm concerned what effect this will have on long-term reliability as though it could be worse
2. the skippping is terrible, seems to be worse when hot
3. the "settings reset" problem appears to periodically happen to most copies of this product, blowing away your audio, video, PC, etc. settings

Lets talk more in this thread about alternative DVD players that can do DVI (or HDMI) output and both SACD/DVD-A at something under 300-400 bones.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 63
I am looking for the same type of player as Tom but I'm not sure if it exists (?) It seems you can have one but not the other. For example, the Denon 1910 has DVI but not DVD-audio/SACD, and the Pioneer has DVD-A/SACD but not DVI. The only player (aside from the notorious Samsung) that I've seen w/all of these features is the Denon 2910, which seems to have mostly good reviews (but def. not all - esp. w/resp. to video performance) - but at $600+.

Factor7
Unregistered guest
The HD841 is a piece of junk. As soon as I took it out of the box i had a bad feeling. Not only does the tray no open but the one or two time it does it tends to freeze up in "play" mode. Otherwise its stuck in "Load" and the tray is stuck. Dissapointing on a brand new player.
The fact that when I brought it to a Samsung warranty service center for repair, there was another HD841 right in front of me doesn't make it any better.

I had hopes for Samsung, even after the ballast/light engine issues with my HLP5063 but after this I think Sony is always a safer bet.

Unregistered guest
I am interested in purchasing the HD841 to go with my HLN507W TV. Bought the TV last Christmas and really like it. I use the SIR TS160 tuner with the TV set.
Question: does the optional connections (S-video and component) for the HD841 upgrade the signal as much as the DVI connection? My TS160 tuner uses the DVI connection so I was wondering if I have to unplug the turner in order to fully experience the up-converted signal via the DVI plug each time I want to view a DVD on the 841.

Unregistered guest
Bought HD841 for Sony Wega 50WE655 50"LCD. What an event!
Store sold me wrong cable. Now have right cable for video. No audio. HELP! Manual is written in cryptic code. I believe I have tried every combo of Audio outputs. No sound in DVI output. If the standard RED,WHITE and YELLOW outputs are used, all works fine.
Any suggestions? Would be no problem to pack this puppy up and return to Best Buy. Do not want to succomb to technology problems this easy.

abc
Unregistered guest
TV Bob

Connect using A/V cables (red/white/yellow) first. Select menu and video display setting should be changed to DVI. Once that's selected, unplug yellow video cable and connect with DVI cable. This should allow you to utiliize the DVI output...I had the same problem..unfortunately no one thought of adding this to the instruction manuals...hope this helps..otherwise call samsung

chris b
Unregistered guest
(sony vega kv-32fs10 tv)-(str str-501 surround reciver)-and (dvp-nc665p dvd player)---- my question is:can you run ''component video/audio setup'' to your tv and run your ''digital optical'' out to your surround sound input at the same time do they both output at the same time so i can have sound threw my tv while my surround is off and still have awesome sound while watching a dvd or can you only use one ??? thanks for any help!

Bronze Member
Username: Drew_and_not_u

Wilmington, NC United States

Post Number: 21
just got a notification that samsung is sending out updates for the player to make it auto-detect DVI output. too bad for them i already returned it...

Anonymous

How is Samsung going to send out updates?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
apparently they are mailing out physical updates, which i assume are firmware discs, though they didn't specify, to everyone who registered their player with them.

Craig in SAC
Unregistered guest
Take a look at the samsungusa.com website. I just downloaded the update from there. Will give it a try later. Anyone having to wait a long time for a DVD to load using the HD841 player? Mine seems to take forever to recognize the DVD and bring up the menu.

Joon H. Bae
Unregistered guest
I just got the HD841 and TX-P3071WH HDTV... and I can commiserate with everyone here. I have struggled with getting the DVI to work properly (even after reading the instructions) and have been befuddled with the dark black levels, occasional line drop-outs, and audio pops (which aren't repeating at the same spots -- meaning it's the playback, and not the disc itself). One positive is that my player has not lost any settings (yet). But then again, I don't power it off from the front switch. I read in a review that the player will reset to default settings if you power off using the switch on the bezel... so, a warning to you all who are not aware of this.

I am seriously considering returning this but then again, I did buy it for only 130... I am going to purchase the V Bravo D2 next month and compare the units. I was hoping to run some SACD tests as well but after doing more research on the 841, it seems that it doesn't do SACD playback well either (sound&vision). I'm sorely dissapointed overall with this player but hey, I got a free DVI cable.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
hey nice, i copped the same tv, love it. Unless you really cared about using the DVI or just didn't feel like spending $300> on another player, I would get the Pioneer DV-578A much better picture, even through component, superior DVD sound, SACD, and DVD-A sound quality, and like a million billion audio video settings. Couldn't be happier with it, only issue is a slightly flismy disc tray. good luck

Username: Dbshapiro

Thanks for the info on the firmware update for the dvi cable on the 841. I called samsung support yesterday and got nothing. The disk worked perfectly and now the dvd player is looking great. here is the link I followed then downloaded the image and burned it to cd. Entire process took 5 min.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/support/b2c_support_product_results.jsp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
hey, aside form the DVI auto detect, has this update solved all the video and audio glitch problems that people, includeing myself, have experienced? if so I might have to go get one again, cuz my component inputs are full and my DVI input is all sad and empty =(

Ninja Rider
Unregistered guest
Bought two 841's and having same DTS audio cutout problem as everyone else. It happens every two minutes or so.
AC-3 works fine just not the DTS. Taking both back till it's fixed. Uggghhhhh.

Bronze Member

IL USA

Post Number: 30
Thanks to everyone for the pointer to the firmware updates. I did it today and the machine works great, but admittedly the problems I had experienced (settings reset, video/audio skipping) were sporadic so I will need to play with it for a while to get a difinitive answer. I have to assume the DVI output configuration problem will at least be fixed.

Andrew: I never had the DTS or DVD bootup problem so I cant attest to any improvement.

Bronze Member

IL USA

Post Number: 32
Well, I have had a couple days to live with the firmware upgrade and i thought i would report my observations. Summary, it seems to work but it is not painless:

1. i have not yet lost my settings (DTS, bitstream, speaker config, etc).
2. i have not yet observed any skipping (the audio or video choppiness many of us have observed)
3. DVI output appears to always work, however...
4. if i turn on the TV while playing a CD or SACD the player seems to restart (and, after a delay, go back to the beginning of the disc).

my guess on this last one is that it senses a voltage change on the DVI output port and the new firmware tells it to turn on that output (even if its already on) - which apparently requires a restart. i also noticed it will happen again if you turn the TV off and back on, so the DVD player is constantly monitoring the DVI output, even after the DVI output setting is activated.

so if you are listening to SACD/DVD-A you need to either leave the TV on (waste of power) or grope your way thru the onscreen menus blind.

I would recommend this upgrade only if 1. your DVI output settings get blown away frequently or 2. if further tests show that the jitter/skipping problems are also resolved. If you don't have these problems i would NOT recommend the upgrade based on what i have seeen. (if it ain't broke dont fix it!)

Anonymous

Well I have bad news with my firmware disc. I would only lose my DVI settings occasionally and I always, to be safe, would reselect DVI each time I played a dvd in my 841, now after using the firmware disc the dvi wouldn't output at all on two different occasions. I used to just select DVI and apply but I did that and nothing. I messed around with it and then turned it back on 15 minutes later and it finally worked. I really don't know what to do. I talked with Tom earlier in the week about this and Tom I thought I would let you know here and make it easier to communicate. Have you lost your setting any? Should I try to re-install the firmware? I wonder if Samsung would know what to do. I love this player when it is working but is there an alternative to it with DVI, HD upconversion, and 5.1 discrete inputs? I know the Toshiba upconversion player doesn't have 5.1 and the Denon player is like $600 and the other Denon player is black (I would like a silver player). Is the new Sony that Tweeter (for $299) is selling a upconversion? I saw a new LG at that is "coming soon" on the CC website. I wonder does it have the 5.1? I want this to work but it is becoming frustrating.

thanks for any input you all may have

God Bless
<><

Bronze Member

IL USA

Post Number: 41
For those of you looking for alternatives to the Sammy 841, it now appears Sony and Denon offer HDMI upconverting DVD players. Of course the Denon is extremely expensive ($1300), but the Sony is around $300 and appears to have most of the Samsung features (except DVD/A).

Would love to hear from any Sammy 841 buyers who pulled the trigger on one of these bad boys.

Unregistered guest
I'm on my third HD841 (in three weeks). Although I'm happy with both picture and sound quality on all three, all have problems with dvd pictures either freezing and/or skipping randomly. Thought the first 2 were factory defects but the problem persists on the third. I've tried different dvds - all new btw - and still get same results. The 841 is connected via component cables to my Pioneer PDP 433cmx plasma.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
You need the firmware update. Go to this address:
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/support/b2c_downloadcenter_detail.jsp?eU ser=&mobile=N&oid=71109&cntType=FM&cntId=223101&lang=EN
download and unzip the files and then burn them to a cd. Then put the CD in your player and let it update.

Unregistered guest
Thanks Andrew, isn't this update only for automatic enabling of DVI (when a DVI cable is connected between the HD841 and a TV?) Will it also solve the freezing and skipping issues?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
people seem to have reported results to that effect, but I have no first hand experience. good luck!

Username: Dural

Sydney, Nsw Australia

All

Just purchased a Samsung DVD-HD747, it has a 841 main board in side, with a 747 updated ROM, I suppose this fixed all the issue in all the posts about the 841
what I would like to know is how to make it region free and remove HDCP as my projector does not support HDCP

Lorgy Garcia
Unregistered guest
Hi Andrew, FYI, I downloaded the firmware updates and run it on my 841. No luck though. I continue to get the random pausing, freezing, and skipping issues on my dvds. I tried 4 different dvds last night and got the same results. But thanks anyway for the suggestion. I appreciate your help.

Bronze Member

IL USA

Post Number: 43
Lorgy:

Thats surprising, I have not had the skipping problems since I upgraded my firmware.

Going back to an earlier posting, has anyone tried the Sony DVP-NS975V or the Denon DVD-3910?

Username: Actaylor

Just purchased 841 @ Costo for $99.00. Killer price
and while everything is working just fine, the only problem I have is with the picture. I cannot seem to figure out how to turn of the automatic letterbox eliminator. Does not chop, but squishes. The remote has an EZ view button, but when I set it on Widescreen, it is still not widescreen. Help! This is really pissing me off!

AlexKKK
Unregistered guest
I guess you are using a 16:9 display. You have to set the display to wide, then you can adjust different display mode via EZ

Username: Gesully

Centennial, CO USA

I am thinking of buying the Samsung 841. I have looked at reviews for the Sony NS975, V Bravo D2 and Toshiba SD5970. They all seem to have problems of one kind or another. Is the general feeling that the firmware upgrade fixes the 841?
I want the upscaling to use with my Sharp LC-45GDU6U set which has an HVI input.
Thanks.

Simon White
Unregistered guest
The HD841 is killing me !
I have connected the component video and audio of my sony wega to video 5 (5,6 are component video ports)
I also connected the video cable (Y, W, R) from the front of the TV (video 2). In S-video and I-Scan I can see the samsung menu system on video 2. I run through the menu and select P-SCAN & DVI. The screen goes blank. I try to cycle via the TV remote to VIDEO 5 and still blank.

I did not think I was this retarded.

Anyone have ideas on the TV problem ? I know there is no help for my intellect.

AlexKKK
Unregistered guest
Simon, do you know whether your sony can support high resolution such as 720p, 1080i etc. If your sony only support 480p, and the 841 is outputing 720p then you cannot see the screen via component. Try to select different resolution output from the 841 and see whether you can see the image.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 44
Massey uses colorful language, but I agree with the concept he espouses. Get yourself equipment from another manufacturer.

professorA
Unregistered guest
hey guys...i just purchased this player...and i haven't had any of the problems you guy are talking about...i noticed that if you set your video output from your remote, the player keeps the info, but if you set it from the actual dvd setup menu, it will lose the info. anyways...the only problem i've had with this player is that there is no picture for authentic dvd's (in DVI mode only). the only dvd's i can get to play are burned dvds and burned cds. does anybody have a similar problem or experienced a problem similar to this?

Silver Member

Post Number: 229
ProfessorA, sounds like you're one of the few lucky ones. Hope your luck lasts. But I wouldn't want to bet on it.

rmacdon
Unregistered guest
i hated this dvd player before i did the firmware update, but now that i have done it, its ok, i think i might still get the toshiba SD5970

sac
Unregistered guest
Anyone know how to check the current firmware revision, before reflashing? I just bought the 841 for $99 at BestBuy. Seems to play Ok, but I can't connect to my Toshiba HDMI (w/ an adapter) because the TV doesn't have HDCP. Component looks fine.

Username: Wiggum

Post Number: 8
Got the 841 2 days ago from Costco...

First unit had a defective component video output...

Second unit is great... it came with the firmware update so it autodetected DVI even though im not using it...

Put it into DTS today playing Gladiator on my 6.1 Onkyo and it sounded simply awesome...

Optical output obviously... hope i don't have any problems you guys did :-)

BEN

Unregistered guest
Hi, I just got a Samsung HD747, and it seems that my Sony plasma monitor doesn't support HDCP. I can do 1080i OK using DVI connection, but only if the DVD doesn't have macrovision.
Anyone know how to turn the HDCP off ?

Unregistered guest
I bought this unit a few days ago without reading any reviews on it. my dlp projector doesnt have a dvi connector, so i cant use the HD modes, but i bought this unit to play DVD-audio and SACD, as well as dvd movies. i have a few dvd audio disks and sacds ordered and should be here in a few days, so i havent tried that funtionality yet. but i did watch a few movies and had a few problems. the DTS audio would cut out now and then, and the video would stutter now and then. when i would play those same disks on my old dvd player or my xbox or ps2, they worked just fine. needless to say i was dissapointed. the only models i could find for $150 was this one, and the pioneer dv578as, which was out of stock everywhere i looked. so i started searching to see if anyone else had this problem, and i found this site. i was all ready to return the unit tomorrow, but i decided to try the firmware update. and im happy to say that it appears to have fixed my problems.

i put in the same movie i first had problems with. the DTS now plays like it should, and i skipped to the same scenes where the video was dropping, and now it is fine. im going to watch a few more movies on it and give it a few days here..but i think it is fixed.

if you are having these issues and havent tried the firmware update, you should go for it...it really helped me.

Joon H. Bae
Unregistered guest
I agree... from the time of my last post I lost all my settings and the DVI connection reset itself. I upgraded the firmware and everything (so far) seems to be ok. But I just purchased the Oppo OPDV971H since I'm having some viewing issues with some DVDRs. I'm pretty much going by the review on HomeTheaterReview but hey, if this player is supposed to be double the performance of my 841, I wan to see how it does on my HDTV... anyone have experience with the Oppo?

Anonymous

Turning off HDCP on the 841:

1. Turn your television ON
2. Turn the DVD Player ON
(You should see the Samsung screen saver appear on the TV)
3. Ensure the DVD tray is EMPTY and CLOSED
4. Wait for the message 'NO DISC' to appear

IMPORTANT: Use the remote control supplied
with the player to perform the following functions:

5. Press the ANGLE button
6. Press the numbers 4, 3, 2, 7
(You should see the message 'HDCP Free' appear in the upper
left hand corner of your television screen)
7. Press the OPEN/CLOSE button to open the disc tray
Your DVD player is now region-free and HDCP-free!

jayro
Unregistered guest
any ideas on why the HD-841 will not allow me to change the output to dvi from s-video. each time i hit the select button, it seems to go back to the default. will the firmware update be of any help?

thanks!

Username: Revjoonbug

jayro --

yes, the firmware upgrade will help you. I was getting "snow" for no reason through the DVI connection and would not redisplay through the DVI output until I upgraded the firmware. Now I have no problems with the player (other than the quirks it comes with). I would highly recommend that you follow the directions carefully and upgrade the firmware.

Unregistered guest
Anyone can help me? when I turn on the dvd and my TV with the DVI the blue samsung screen comes up. But, when I played the dvd, I can hear the voice but no pictures, all I get it's just scribbled blue screen. I've checked the settings, it shows under DVI. I tried the componet connection it worked fine, I have the pictures with sound. thank you guys!

Username: Revjoonbug

Post Number: 3
Ricky,

You probably have the DVI output to a resolution that the TV does not support. Try the DVI connection and hit the DVI button on your remote to switch resolutions. I would highly recommend upgrading the firmware if you haven't done so as well.

Hope this helps,

J

Ricky Chen
Unregistered guest
Hi Joon.....it works, it turns out I have to turn on the DVD first then turn on my TV after that. I guess my TV could not recognize it.

Realbushido
Unregistered guest
Just got one of these locally as a refurb for $70. Lots of probs posted here, but I guess the Samsung boys worked mine over pretty good. It's been on for 6 hours straight and no problems with DVD-Audio. Also I put in a PAL DVD (I'm in the US) and it played flawlessly without having to code it to region free. Audio and video quality is great and my Mike Oldfield DVD-A that used to pause slightly between tracks, now plays seamlessly. We'll see how long it lasts, but for right now I am a happy camper.

grog00
Unregistered guest
I just bought a refurb off of ebay for $64 total! Like Realbushido, mine's working fine. I did the HDCP hack and the region free hack, all worked fine. It upconverts over component. Watched about half of Moulin Rouge in DTS, no skips, gaps, etc. I didn't even have to do a firmware upgrade since it appears the one available from Samsung is older than the one on this refurbed unit. Also played a PAL DVD (I'm also in the US) and it worked like a champ, didn't have to do anything other than pop it in the player. Tested DVD-A with Alice Cooper's "Welcome To My Nightmare", very sweet. Haven't tested SACD yet.

The "red tint" was there on startup but the setting change listed above fixed that. Oh yeah, if playing a DTS CD, you will need to first go into the setup menu and turn that particular setting to "on", it comes default to "off".

I'm using the optical output for DVD Video and CD audio output, the 6:1 analog section for DVD-A and SACD.

If you can get one of these refurbed boxes for under $70, jump at it.

All my settings "stuck" after I made em to it seems that the firmware takes care of that problem as well.

OCA
Unregistered guest
Samsung HD841
I found out that you can not only receive HD quality through the DVI or HDMI input but through Component video as well!

IF YOUR HDTV IS NOT HDCP COMPATIBLE OR DOES NOT HAVE A DVI OR HDMI INPUT LISTEN UP!

Just by turning off the HDCP on the player you can enable your player to display HD quality through component video (Normally displays a resolution with 480i or 480p). Now just set the resolution on the player to the appropriate resolution according to your TVs specifictions (720p/768/1080i).

Turning off HDCP on the 841:

1. Turn your television ON
2. Turn the DVD Player ON
(You should see the Samsung screen saver appear on the TV)
3. Ensure the DVD tray is EMPTY and CLOSED
4. Wait for the message 'NO DISC' to appear

IMPORTANT: Use the remote control supplied
with the player to perform the following functions:

5. Press the ANGLE button
6. Press the numbers 4, 3, 2, 7
(You should see the message 'HDCP Free' appear in the upper
left hand corner of your television screen)
7. Press the OPEN/CLOSE button to open the disc tray
Your DVD player is now region-free and HDCP-free!

NOTE: I am using Samsung HD DLP TV monitor (HLN437W). In case you guys wanna know. =)

Silver Member

Post Number: 870
Tried to tell you guys but you wouldn't listen. Just keep purchasing Samsung.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1253
It's hopeless, people are cheap, they'll never understand there's a reason Samtrash stuff costs less.

J Mike Lee
Unregistered guest
I just bought the 841 as well. Read the reviews and they were mixed. I hooked it to a Optoma EP 739 and went thru the instructions (change to P-Scan) and the DVI input on the projector registers a source; but the screen is blue. I get sound...no picture. HDCP is required on the projector, so I have no tried the instructions above. I have installed the new firmware. Any suggestions?

OCA
Unregistered guest
Hey J Mike Lee,

Try to see first what resolution your projector supports (720p, 768p, or 1080i) then set the player accordingly.

If you are still having problems...

Might I suggest to either exchange your projector (if you can) for another that does support HDCP,

OR

If your projector has a Component Video Input(Normally displays a resolution with 480i or 480p). You can still upconvert to near HD quality that way -- when you turn the HDCP off. Now just set the resolution on the player to the appropriate resolution according to your TV's or projector's specifictions (720p/768/1080i).

I hope this helps.

Ellimac
Unregistered guest
"It's hopeless, people are cheap, they'll never understand there's a reason Samtrash stuff costs less."

If it's so hopeless, and you're so set on your opinion- then please give me plausible reasons as to why Samsung is "Samtrash."

Gold Member

Post Number: 1265
Cheap stuff that doesn't last. Highly problem prone. Now give me a reason to buy Samtrash, cheap doesn't count.

Username: Thunder18

I don't know how many of you know this, but there is a firmware upgrade for the HD-841 that as far as I can discern, allows it to auto-detect the DVI connection rather than having to go into the menu and use composite or component cables just to see the onscreen menu changes.

Unregistered guest
I have a new 50 inch samsung dlp projection tv(HL-P506W).
I have been trying to compare the quality of the different connections and setups.
my problems:
hdmi to dvi cable = no sound. comcast cable box only has dvi and audio cables. do i need to return my dvi to hdmi cable and get a straight dvi to dvi.
another problem: component input worked fine for my cable input until I tried the hdmi port hookup. After having the sound problem with the hdmi hookup, I went back to component and now my component hookup's picture scrambles and comes in and out. During the time that the picture was visible, I noticed that I lost my zoom function so my widescreen setting does not fill my screen.
I tried powering off the tv for 10 minutes and also allowed "reprogram?" time for the comcast box. still the cable to component does not work. The compontent jacks work fine if I hook up a dve player to it.
does anyone have some advice?

grog00
Unregistered guest
Played some CDs in it last night and, everytime you go from one track to the next, while the Samsung shows going directly from one to the next (no lag), it apparently breaks/stops/whatever it's signal to the receiver since the latter shows it "refiguring out" the type of signal. I can't explain it better than that.

That means that if you're listening to an album like Dark Side of the Moon where the songs are supposed to flow seamlessly into each other, you get a very annoying 2-3 second gap in there. This does NOT happen on my CD player or my older Pioneer DV-333 DVD player.

Carey85
Unregistered guest
I bought a Samsung HD841 in early August, aware of the potential problems inherent with the player. As of today, I haven't had any problems with it. Player manufacture date is 9/04, so I don't know if the later players are less twitchy or what, but thus far I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase. I do, however, wish that I'd have waited for the introduction of HD-DVD and BluRay before I made my purchase, but for the price, I'm not going to complain.

Anonymous

Regarding the two posts on how to make the 841 region free. I find that the screen will only accept up to two digits and not four as noted to input. After entering the four digits in spite of the digit limit, no prompt of status is shown. Someone smart correct either me or the posts. Otherwise I have to say the unit, four weeks into use is just fantastic and flawless including DVI which is crystal clear into DLP set to 1080i.

Anonymous

you need to do the region free thingy with no disc in the player with the tray closed and right after a power cycle when the display says no disc.

jontour
Unregistered guest
I just picked up the 841,everything seemed to be working fine until i put in a sacd.I have the Dark Side of the Moon SACD,when I put it in the dvd player it reads no disk.Is there a setting i am missing or is it just another problem with the dvd player? Thanks, JT

Unregistered guest
Has anyone had any experience with the Sammy DVD-V9500 as far as being able to disable the HDCP using the remote hack that works with the HD841? (Angle, 4-3-2-7). I want to do this to allow upconverting DVD to 1080i using the component outputs.

Unregistered guest
Can't get DTS sound. My HD841 works perfect for everything except DTS. When I play a DVD with DTS sound and use the DTS surround mode on my AV receiver (Marantz) it says "incompatible". All other surround modes work fine - Dolby digital and Dolby ES, etc. I use a coax digital cable to connect my DVD player to the receiver. Would an optical cable solve this?

Appreciate any ideas.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2196
Set the DTS in the player audio menus to bitstream.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us