Mitsubishi 52725 Glare Screen Replacement

Marten
Unregistered guest
I went to see the Mitsubishi 52725 yesterday at Good Guys. I had been waiting anxiously for it hoping that the "anti-glare Diamond shield" would get rid of the glare. It did not. Even though better than the 52525, it is still completely unacceptable to me.

The sales guy argued that the protective shield can be taken off hence getting rid of the glare. While true, that is also not an acceptable solution because it kind of takes away from the sleek look of the TV.

Then, the sales guy said that Mitsubishi is coming out with a shield replacement consisting of only the frame, with no glass. That would get rid of the glare while the TV would still look nice around the edges. Has anyone else heard something like this or is it complete BS?

Scott Smetana
Unregistered guest
I agree with Marten, If the glare on the 525 was a 10 (on a scale of 10), the 725 would be about a 7 or 8.

Bronze Member
Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 48
that's a shame...
anyone disagree??

FL
Unregistered guest
I've had a 62725 on order for 2 weeks. Yesterday I popped into a competitor's store and saw the 52725 and YES, I was unpleasantly surprised to see that it was still rather reflective. Even in this darkened room I could see a lot of glare from the other TV's. I asked if they could turn the TV off which was between the Samsung DLP and a Sony (LCD?). Both of the others when off have a matte finish where you can even make out your own reflected image, standing in front of it. The Mitsu I can still see myself. I don't think I'd like to pay more for a replacement frame. I think they blew it again! I was waiting for the 725 series over the 525 just for this reason, AND I chose the Mitsu after getting tired of waiting for the Samsung HLP 5674W. I'm going to hold off on having my 62725 delivered until I see one set up at another store.

ssinoregon
Unregistered guest
I bought a 52525 yesterday from our local electronics store in Oregon. They had both the 525 and the 725 set up. The 725 only had about a 20% reduction in glare. The salesman popped off the screen on a 62525 for us, very easy to do and then showed no glare at all. For the price difference, we decided to go with the 52525 (3600, and off course no tax in OR!). Plugged it in last night, no components yet except for regular cable digital box, worked great. The glare isn't really a problem in our room, in basement, few windows. The screen actually makes it sharper looking. Our old 27" ctr was the same way, very reflective. The only problem I have so far it that the fan seems very noisy to me, especially during quiet scenes, anyone else have this problem?

Unregistered guest
Can anyone post a link to a pic of their 525 (or 725) with the screen popped off? I'd really like to see how ugly it makes the TV itself look.

How much does removing the screen hurt PQ?

Thanks!

Marten
Unregistered guest
My advice would be to see the TV without the screen in person. It is not THAT bad, but for $4000 I don't want something that looks half-a$$ assembled.

Also, I disagree about the screen making the picture look sharper. I have seen/heard some claims like that before, but only from people who have already bougt the TV, and hence want to feel better about their purchase by talking up the TV. Don't get me wrong, the Mitsubishis are great TVs, and if the glare is not a problem for you , or if you are fine with popping the screen off, I would probably get the Mitsubishi over anything else right now.

gilly
Unregistered guest
Marten, I completely disagree with you. The Mits screen definitely makes the picture pop out much clearer. In addition the TV is only perceived to be glarey because of comparisons to something like a Samsung with a matte screen. Sure you have less reflections, but the difference in PQ is significant and obvious if you view them side by side.

Compared to a good ole CRT TV, the 725 IS NOT glarey. I've been doing my research for months and finally settled on the Mits 52725. The room I have it in has a good amount of ambient light in the room, and there is no glare problem. The only time I see reflections is when the TV is off.

I don't think people are trying to comfort themselves when talking up the TV. At least in my case, I'm someone who did a lot of research looking primarily at Samsungs and Mitsubishis, gained a clear understanding of the pros and cons of each, and was made nervous by all the glare issues discussed on these boards. I'm simply trying to set the record straight and give people my 2 cents. The only reason I would be concerned about getting a 725 is if you have a window w/o blinds (or for some reason a bright light pointed toward the TV) behind your couch. (I have a stand-up lamp behind my couch and that is no problem). Otherwise I think this is the best TV on the market and that is why I ended up getting it.

Username: Bluecrayon

Post Number: 6
Gilly is bang on. What people need to realize is that in many viewing situations (lack of multiple strong light sources behind your viewing position) the net result of the diamond shield is an improved PQ. Nice and sharp looking, higher contrast-- folks, this screen pops.

Marten, while I'm sure that some people feel the need to form PQ opinions after they have bought this TV in order to feel better about their purchase, there are plenty of us who had PQ opinions BEFORE we bought this TV that made us better about our purchase. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that the majority of people who frequent this board are conscientious shoppers who are disinclined to fork over thousands of dollars without a painfully exact prior understanding of the qualities of their purchase.

Username: Sammy

Post Number: 10
Just to add my two cents, I just purchased the Mitsubshi WS-48315. The picture is great and when watching a High Def. channel (there are about 15 here) the picture is amazing. The only problem is the glare. I contacted the company and they suggested taking the Diamond Shield off. I don't think so, two kids in the house is asking for trouble. So, I did some research and found a company that will custom fit an anti-glare shield for your tv. I called them and they said it will eliminate appx. 99% of the glare and give a sharper/clearer picture. It cost about $300.00. No, I havent sprung for it yet, I am hoping to see if anyone else has it, so I can get some feeback. Anyway, just my two cents, any advice would be appreciated. By the way, the web site is www.mightyshield.com. No, I don't work for them, otherwise I would own a shield already and boast about that. Thanks!

Marten
Unregistered guest
Well, I didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings. Like I said, if you are fine with the way the TV looks without the screen, or if your setup and/or personal preferences are such that the glare doesn't bother you, I would definitely buy the Mitsubishi over anything else at this point. It has as good, if not better, picture quality as Samsung etc, but has some extra features that set it aside in my book (CableCARD, memory card slots etc).

But please don't claim that there is no such thing as a glare problem, that is just not fair to people whom are reading this trying to get the facts straight and make a purchase decision.

Any source of light will clearly reflect in the protective screen, regardless of what is currently showing on the TV. But the worst part is if there is any ambient light in the room, the TV turns into a black mirror when dark scenes are showing on the screen. I just don't like seeing my own face hovering in space next to the Death Star :-)

The reflectiveness of the screen when the TV is showing dark scenes is simply unacceptable to me.

Sure, the glare is probably no worse than on a regular CRT TV, but again, you wouldn't spend $4000 on such.

Again, it all comes down to personal preference and opinion. So my advice is to make sure you see the TV in the store before you pull the trigger (that of course goes for any TV, or other purchase of this magnitude for that matter). Make sure that you get to see content that contains dark scenes (night time scenes, space scenes etc) and decide if the reflections over those dark scenes is something that you can live with.

Tom011
Unregistered guest
Ok, so where do you find/purchase a wd-52725? I have scoured all the brick and mortars, as well as some online reputable sites, and it doesn't seem to be on sale anywhere... And some of you guys even have one! .. I live in NC.. maybe it's just west coast now?

tom011
Unregistered guest
PS - even the goodguys.com website doesn't have the wd-52725 listed.. how is someone looking at it in their store??

jrd123
Unregistered guest
A salesman at Magnolia HiFi (WA state) also mentioned to me that a frame-only solution would shortly be available for the 25725.

jrd123
Unregistered guest
I have seen 4 samples of the WD-52525 and one sample of the WD-52725. All four 525 samples had a good, well focused picture. The one 725 sample seemed out of focus compared to a 525 sitting next to it. Close examination of both broadcast signal and built-in menu display characters revealed pixel borders that where smeared to invisibility, where as all the 525's were sharp enough to clearly see the pixel borders. I set all picture controls to be identical between the two units -- made no difference. I'm wondering if this was a freak bad 725 or if there really is a consistent difference. Also, can one adjust focus via a service menu?

Unregistered guest
I got my 52725 from Sound City in Denville, NJ. Ask for Scott and tell him I sent you.

Username: Seantyler

Arlington, VA

Post Number: 1
I saw the 52725 at "the Big Screen store" in Ellicott City, MD last Wed.

It was next to a 62525...

They had Return of the Jedi on it... which is a very dark movie in the begining. (think slave girl outfit ;-)) It looked really good (the tv)... NO RAINBOWS and I really did not notice a glare while watching it.

The glare on the 62525 was very bad next to the 52725

When I got home and looked at my current TV... can anyone really say that a dark screen will not have a reflection of a light source?

T Nguyen
Unregistered guest
I saw the samsung pedestal 56" side by side with the mitsubishi 50525 and the new panasonic 50" DLP TV .. and this is what I've concluded.

as far as picture quality is concerned, the mitsubishi is the best of the bunch, followed by the panasonic and then the samsung is closely behind.

for color accuracy, the misubishi is still the best.

The only problem is the glare screen, but what I've also notice is most of the plasma screen are also having the same glare issue. But for some reason no one here seems to notice it.

plus, after looking at all of the TVs closely, and reading all of the posts here, I've notice that the mitsubishi also has the least of the problem, and as far as customer service is concerned, mitsubishi tend to be the best one also.

the only problem so far is still pointing to the glare, but I think and agree with some of the previous post, that the glossy screen tend to give the picture a nice sharp look compare to the dulled samsung TV.

I have finaly decided to buy the misubishi 60725

Thanks for all of the posts ... I've learned alot from reading all of your helpful information.

Username: Zipzapzu

Rocklin, Ca USA

Post Number: 2
T Nguyen, I'd have to agree with you on all accounts. Getting my 62725 tomorrow. I currently have a Mitsu 55411 with a diamond shield. There's quite a bit of glare but when I'm ready to watch tv or a movie it's usually dark out anyway and I usually set the lighting just right to get that movie theatre feel as much as possible. So there's no distinguishable glare at all. Also, Mitsu reliability is by far more superior over the other brands. They are "the big screen" people. For the record on the glare between the 525 and 725. It's definately worth the extra couple of hundred bucks to get the 725. Side by side the glare difference was quite noticeable. With the 725 being the distinct favorite. I'd say glare was at least half the amount of the 525. Also, any flat shiny surface will reflect some amount of light. Plain old laws of Physics 101. In addition, I feel the black front grill adds to the movie like experience. Remember that just like in the movie theatre, there is no silver plastic frame around the screen. I'm really enjoying reading everybodies input. Thanks. JV

Username: Bluecrayon

Post Number: 7
Marten:

I've never claimed that the 52725 has no glare, but I'm certainly entitled to state that I don't have a problem with it. That's what the other conscientious shoppers on this board want to know: what is the nature of my subjective experience of this television set?

Further, with a little bit of research you'll find that the Diamond Shield does in fact improve contrast. And it definitely makes my television look sharper. (NOT the picture sharper: it's not magic.)

As JV stated: any flat shiny surface will reflect some amount of light. Individual experience of net PQ is the deciding factor.

Marten, I think it would be most helpful if you were to focus on expressing your own subjective experience and resist broadly characterizing other's opinions as irrational or motivated by buyer's remorse.

I hope I haven't hurt your feelings.

Username: Zipzapzu

Rocklin, Ca USA

Post Number: 3
I just got my 62725 yesterday. It was Magnolia's first shipment and I got the first one. After a bit of fuss with the stand I got, I finally got everything hooked up. I know there's been a little bit of a heated discussion about this "glare" thing, but in my honest humble opinion this picture is just awesome. The first movie I put on was Finding Nemo. My relatives, who also have a countertop projection TV, and I were comletely WOWed. I was literally speechless. I then put in Open Range. Once again it was awesome. Later on in the evening, I put in Empire STrikes Back on DVD, and I was just dumbfounded!! The brights were bright and the darks were dark. Color and contrast just magnificent. My 2003 Mitsu WS-55411 also had an incredible picture however the "color-tuned" diamond shield it had was extremely full glare. I usually had to shut off all the lights except for one that was directly to the right of it and which I made dim. Last night, almost all of the lights were on including the fluorescent kitchen light which was at the 5 o'clock position was on. Oh man, the glare was considerably less!! Another note about this protective shield, I don't know for certain about the contrast improving with it but I will say it is an excellent "protective" covering for a $4k television. Especially, if there are any children in the house. My 2 year old for example. The benefit of the protection outways the minimal amount of tolerable glare that comes with it. The jump from a 55" to a 62" was quite noticeable. With this TV on my BDI stand, I truly am experiencing a "home theater". I can't recommend this TV more. JV

AJS
Unregistered guest
I just got the Mitsu 52725. There is some glare, but I can live with that. But I have two other issues that I wonder if anyone else has:

(1) The picture is generally quite dark on all channels. Is that due to the anti-glare shield? For just about everything else I watch (other than "bright" shows like football games played in the sunlight or the Simpsons), it is a challenge to see the images through the darkness. Has anyone else had this problem? Increasing the brightness, contrast, and/or temperature helps a bit, but I think it takes away from the blacks and how the picture is "supposed" to look.

(2) The HDTV picture is magnificent. I have DirectTV. For the most part, the non-HDTV channels are pretty good. However, the picture seems almost unacceptably blurry and out-of-focus for certain things like non-HDTV football games (much worse that my old CRT) and text on the screen (like the news line that runs at the bottom on many news shows a la CNN). Is this a DLP issue, a satellite issue, or an issue with my particular set. I did notice the same sort of lack of clarity on the Samsungs when I viewed them in the stores.

I'd appreciate anyone have any input or suggestions regarding these topics. Thanks.

T Nguyen
Unregistered guest
Jon Vongschanphen cool, mine will be deliver this Tuesday, so I can't wait. I did saw the 62725 in the store and the picture is amazing. I will come back and post my review of this new set in about a week.

Pauljk
Unregistered guest
I just spoke to Mitsubishi to get a couple of questions answered and I thought you all may be interested in their answers. My questions and their answers are below.

1. Since the On-Screen Guide is not shipping with the 725s, will it be available as an upgrade later? Ans: It will not be available on any 725 or 825 that ships this year. There is currently no plan for an upgrade, but if it turns out to just be software they will probably send it out.

2. Is Mitusbishi planning to sell a frame for those who decide to remove the screen protector? Ans: No. This is not true.

3. Will the 825 recording be limited to just the cable card input or will it be able to record from any input. (I had heard somewhere else that it was only from the cable card input). Ans: It will be able to record from any input, not just the cable card.

4. Do you have an MSRP on the 825s yet. Ans: No

Lastly, I was trying to work a deal with the local Big Screen Store (Frederick, MD). I asked if they could give me 10% off. They said they could, but I could not also get the Mits no payments/ interest till 2006. They said Mitsubishi would not allow it. I suspect it's not Mitsubishi, but the BSS that's setting that policy. No one at Mits knows anything about this. Has anyone heard this?

Thanks.

tmoore01
Unregistered guest
Retail price at my local Tweeter is $3999. Does this sound in line with you guys?

Anonymous

I just bought a 52725...In a word, awesome! I have researched for 6 months...This TV is fantastic...Glare, or no glare. Paid $3400 at a local TV store (Grand Rapids, MI).

Username: Patelni

Houston, TX

1. Since the On-Screen Guide is not shipping with the 725s, will it be available as an upgrade later? Ans: It willa nd is available on any 725 or 825 that ships this year. The Home Theater Store in Houston has them on display and they demonstrated it.

2. Is Mitusbishi planning to sell a frame for those who decide to remove the screen protector? Ans: Yes. The sales rep and Home Theater Store mentioned that the Mits rep. was in this week and that he indicated that the frame would be available through Mits customer service for about $20-$50

Marten
Unregistered guest
Jason Thompson,

Please point me to any credible "research" that suggests that a (more or less) transparent screen (i.e. the Diamond Shield) in front of the surface the picture is actually projected on will improve the contrast ratio? I didn't think so.

Contrast ratio is defined as the difference in light intensity between the brightest white and the darkest black. Unless the Diamond Shield has the ability to locally alter its transparency depending on the local light intensity it will do nothing but lower the light intensity throughout the entire picture. That ability is simply not there; we are talking about a piece of plastic here. Maybe a less bright picture that looks better to you, but then the same effect can be achieved by simply lower the brightness of the TV.

I am expressing my personal subjective experience, when it comes to subjective matters. When it comes to hard facts, those facts override your subjective experience, except maybe in your mind. I am sorry if that hurts your feelings.

T Nguyen
Unregistered guest
I got my 62725 for couple of weeks now, and as promised, here is my review of the product.

1, the system came out of the box and worked perfectly, no problem what so ever ... so far. I didn't like that stand that came with the TV so I got a different one and is much happier.

2, picture quality for regular cable or regular Direct TV is not that impressive because of the quality of the feed. It's like displaying a VGA quality signal to a SuperVGA monitor on your computer so this is to be expected.

3, after talking to Direct TV about upgrading to HDTV, they gave me a package for about $384.00 for them to come out and install a new HDTV box, I've decided that was too expensive, and intead got a deal from Comcast for Digital and HDTV for a much more resonable cost with no upfront cost and only $5.00 more a month. Although, The digital signal is an improvement over the regular direct TV. But what is the most impressive is the HDTV feed ... what an awsome picture, I've never seen anything so beautiful .. High def is the way to go. I found myself watching mostly the high def channels. Sunday night football on ESPNHD was gorgeous ...

4, DVD, so far my DVD is only connected to the TV via a S-video cable because my stereo component rack is about 20' away from my TV, but the picture quality is still wonderful. Once my 20' optical cable arrive, I will relocate the DVD player to below the TV and hook it up to the TV with either a component video cable or DVI, the picture quality should be even better.

5, the fan noise is not bad and could not be heard from where am sitting about 10-14' away so that is not a problem at all, the only thing that I notice is sometime the fan runs even when the TV hasn't even been on for a while. But I will keep an eye on that.

6, Glare, yes there are some glares if you look for it, but most TV have this problem so to me this is not a big deal. I haven't even notice it so it's not a nuisance for me. The only gare that I can see is if the source of light is from directly in front of the TV, otherwise it is fine. The glossy screen look kinda cool actualy.

I've not made any adjustment to the TV because it is already beautiful the way it is so why mess with it.

I highly recommend this TV to anyone, if you are looking for a big screen, this one is it. The Sammy is nice too but is not the same caliber and has alot of problem qith quality and defects.

Atlanta res
Unregistered guest
Anyone buy their Mitsubishi in the Atlanta area? If so, which model and where did you get the best deal?

Thanks!

CKRIII
Unregistered guest
It seems, to me, that the glare issue negative statements on this thread, are in fact, being stated by non-owners of the unit. I have owned and used the 62525 for a month now. I have only noticed the aquarium, kitchen and sunlight glare on two occasions, of hundreds. In those two occasions, I turned off the aquarium light or shut the curtain. The sunlight would have affected any TV.
My opinion on this is that it is a sales ploy for selling another product.
As I stated in another thread: My friend has a Samsung, I have the Mits, we both love our sets. Get off of the fence.... buy a DLP, you'll love it.

Unregistered guest
I have the WD-52725. Bought it from the Big Screen Store in Ellicott City, MD. Delivered on 10/01. Got the CableCard installed on 10/08. Some points to make in regards to this thread. The picture is awsome. No problem with glare. I have it in a large room (basement rec room) with one large overhead flouresent light. No problems with the light and it is even better with the light off. I have a small tabletop light in the corner so I can move around to get another 'beverage'. I do have two questions I'd like to know if anyone can answer. 1. PIP with analog channels. I have CableCard. I know that you can't see any of the digital channels in PIP, and I know that you can't see the SAME analog channel when PIP Side-By-Side. But I thought I'd be able to see analog channels side-by-side. Has anyone experienced this problem of being unable to see analog PIP SIde-By-Side? 2. The Guide button. Can you see the channel names and descriptions? All I see is the channel number followed by the word 'Cable' after each channel. I've had Comcast resend the signal but does not help.
And to answer a previous posting. My salesman said for anyone who has registered their 725 that Mitsi will be sending out a notification around the end of the year about obtaining software update to upgrade to TV Guide Plus. It could not be rolled out in Sept in order to meet the ship date.

CKRIII
Unregistered guest
Hmmm, I am going home and check tonight, but I do have input on one statement, Denise. You stated that digital channels could not be PIP? One of the first uses of my WD-62525 was digital HDTV PIP/Side by side with my son playing Halo on X-Box. It was a little confusing, but fun. This was with a cable card and PIP on Device mgr of MonLink and Cable1/CableCard.
Now maybe you meant PIP with out using two device links?
I am not an expert on PIP yet, but I know I have had digital (HDTV) channels next to analog.
I'll follow up after tonight.

seanb724
Unregistered guest
I just looked at both the old 525 and new 725, and the glare still just seems like too much. Part of the problem is that Tweeter has them lined up with a row of tv's facing them right behind your back, so those pictures all show up. I thought the Sony LCD RPTVs and Samsung DLP's showed the least amount of glare. Panasonic DLP seemed nice too.

I'm looking to put either an LCD RPTV or DLP RPTV in a family room, not a home theater. The room is 17' tall, with two sets of windows on top of each other on the north wall, and no window treatments (we live in the woods). It is going to get some glare from that on winter afternoons no matter what, but I can live with that. Other than an occasional football game, that is not prime TV viewing time for me. But I still want to pick the TV that will do best in this situation.

Here is a link to some pictures that we used while working with a light store to pick out some lights:

http://www.eagle-eye-photo.com/family/

I'm going to have a custom wall unit built once we pick the TV. It's basically all designed but I want to verify the dimensions one last time.

Any thoughts?

/Sean

Unregistered guest
For CKRIII; Yes, you're right. I was not talking about using two device links. Yes I can get a digital channel on the left side (non-PIP side (?)) but it won't show up on the PIP side. Shouldn't even if you're using another device but may be. And I can get digital on the left and analog on the right. I just can't get analog and analog. Hope this helps.

Username: Trek4ward

Glare, Glare, Glare.....yes, the screen is a gloss plexiglas...it will reflect. End of issue. I received the 52725 a few weeks ago. The glare is not an issue for me as I have it in my basement. My concern in the graininess of the HD picture. When things (Like a closeup of a Boston Red Sox player) are close, the picture is incredible. However, I have noted that things in the background are really grainy. My girfriend has a lower end Mit, and her HD is almost 3D like. Very minimal graininess. I have read that the light wheel has difficulty picking up the unfocused or darker images...this is definitely true. My jury is still out as to whether the TV is worth 4K. When things are bright, the picture has color and clarity like nothing I've ever seen before, but if something is a little out of focus, or dark....it looks like normal cable. I have both cable and DirecTV HD. Both are the same. My non-HD channels look really crappy too. I guess its the attempt at the tuner trying to create "Near HD". Not sure. Every day I watch it I want to return it, but then I see some incredible scene and think....it's awesome! Anyone else having this dilemma? Also, haven't had any of the software reset issues the 525 people complained about. The TV's been great....just have to decide whether the pic is worth 4K.......

Marten
Unregistered guest
Tim,

I believe what you are referring to, when you talk about grainy backgrounds, is dithering, which is a technique the TV uses to approximate colors it cannot display exactly correct. All fixed pixel TVs have this problem to a greater or lesser extent, but for some reason it is especially noticeable on DLPs (for example, for some reason it is not as noticeable on LCD projection TVs, Sony Grand WEGA etc.).

I am guessing that your girlfriend's "lower end" Misubishi is a CRT projection, which does not have this problem.

Dithering explained:
http://www.grafx-design.com/01gen.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dithering

Bassic
Unregistered guest
Glare issues? I bought my 52725 at Tweeter last night and will be chomping at the bit waiting for the delivery. I too have concerns about the glare (will report later), but the protective screen was the big selling point for my wife, with grandkids, nieces and nephews running around. Tweeter said Mits had a Bezel kit coming out next week for $49 that allows you to remove the screen and retain the factory look. I will be getting one.

jamescrew
Unregistered guest
For those that have had your tv for a while and are using your local cable company for your feed, how is the SD picture? I know that the Mits has several strech viewing modes that can be used such as keeping the center in the correct perspective and stretching the sides, stretchin the whole picture, etc. In your opinion, does one mode look better than another, or do you all just use the 4:3 mode and keep the black bars on the side? I am seriously considering either the 52725 or the Toshiba 52hmx94 tv.

Thanks for your input.

Username: Gregh

The Mitsubishi 52825 is now available. Has anyone seen one?

topr
Unregistered guest
Greg...I saw one today and the the glare was only slightly better than the the 725. The difference between the 725 and the 825 is about the same as the 525 and 725, if that...but its a nice looking set

Unregistered guest
I am looking at both the 525 & the 725 and have found this forum to be both interesting and slightly confusing, in regards to the overall effectiveness of the anti-glare screen (which adds about $200 to the 525 cost). I do not believe that I will have a real problem since there isn't much ambient light facing the set's future location. May I ask what "PQ" is? I see it used over & over but I am unfamiliar with it.
BTW, with the current offer from Mit on financing & a cost of $3349 for the 725, I am getting antsy and totally ready to make that BIG purchase...
One last question, in regards to service issues, a local chain store pointed out that though I could get a better deal locally, they had their own service department. With Mits, is this really a problem? Are they prone to problems, or is it the exception and not worth the extra costs?

Thanks...

KyleK
Unregistered guest
Howard,
I believe that PQ stands for picture quality.
In adding to Howard's other question, I also heard that unless you buy from a local T.V. store that has in house servicing you may have to ship your T.V. off to get repaired if problems do exist. Is anyone else concerned about this? How good are the retail chains at servicing or replacing a Mits should it have problems?
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Unregistered guest
Have been following this forum for weeks now and just bought the 52725. I was concerned about the glare issue but have the tv up and running and glare in not a problem. I was also concerned about the pic quality on standard definition tv programs and have read alot about how bad it looked on the tv; however, I have not found that to be the case. We will receive our HD box and PVR from Cox cable today and watched SD programming last night and it was very good. It looked as good as what we saw on our old CRT tv. So, that is not a problem. Regarding extended warranties, we purchased one from Tweeter and were told that they did their own repairs but that if you moved to an area that did not have a Tweeter store they would arrange for a local Mitsu repair store to service our tv. There was no sending the tv in for repairs. That said, I would recommend that you clarify that before purchasing the tv. We also watched a DVD last night and it was absolutely beautiful on this tv. Can't wait for the HD tonight!!!! I'll watch the Virginia Tech/Maryland game in HD on Thursday!!!!!! I have really appreciated all the info that has been shared on this board and found it very useful in making my decision to purchase this tv.

VA_resident1
Unregistered guest
jamescrew,
I was wondering why you prefered to have the HD box installed in your new 52725 when your TV has cable card. Do most of you MITS owners who plan on having Cable hooked up to your TV lean on having the setup box than the cable card? I'm planning on ordering my 52725 next week and already had a digital coaxial cable ready for the cable card (since there is no optical fiber port option) to be connected to my home theater-ready system. Can some of you give light on which of this two options are better (performance-wise). Thanks.

jamescrew
Unregistered guest
VA_resident1, the only reason I had an HD box is that the HD DVR/PVR only comes with a cable box inside. It is one device that contains the PVE and cable box together. Otherwise I would have selected the cable card and then rented a HD DVR/PVR. I love the PVR, I am able to record HD programs and then view them at my leisure.

Username: Ikeesam

do any of you know if you have the same glare issue on the top of the line 52825/62825 (Diamond Series versionn)? i looked on Mitsu's website and saw that the diamond series has even a different sheild than both the 52525 and 52725.

Username: Ikeesam

Post Number: 2
sorry. I didn't read to end.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us