TVs and electric static as they are turned on and order in which components should be turned on

Anonymous

I've got a new 55" Mitsubishi (WS-55315). I am hooked up to Comcast Digital HD cable with a Motorola Box and have a Sony Receiver/DVD. I do not have everything hooked up remote control wise (I still need 3 seperate remotes to turn everything on) My questions are is there a preferred order on turning on these components, which goes on first cable box then receiver then TV or does it matter? Also I have noticed the my TV having that crackle static electricity sound when it is turned on and off. Is that normal for all TVs? I know these are silly questions but I am concerned. I am looking at getting a Sony remote control. It is a really nice $50 one. Can I fix it where all my things (TV, receiver and cable box) will come on with one push of a on button with this remote? I need your input on this.

Thanks so much!

Username: Bestbuyguy

Post Number: 8
in terms of things turning on in a certain order, it SHOULDNT matter, but if it were me, i'd start with my cable box, then my TV, then my audio receiver. That crackling sound, not for ALL TVs, maybe for that model, but i'm not sure. The only thing i could think of is getting a power conditioner. Monster and Acoustic Research both make them, go to a retail store and pick one up that fits your budget. I guarantee you'll try getting talked into buying a $150-$200 dollar power conditioner. Stay strong, they have one i reccomend for $79, or if you wanna step it up, one for $99. If it doesn't fix the problem, return the conditioner as soon as you can. same day if possible. With that remote, i wouldn't know if it can turn on all your components with a touch of a button without looking at it. I have a remote made by harmony, it costs like 200 bucks, and it's literally anything you'd need in a remote. If you can post a link to a picture of the remote, i could tell you.

Anonymous

Jonathan,

Thank you so much for your response. The crackling sound thing I was talking about may be my paranoia about my new TV and everything being right with my investment. I have seen several TVs do this but I wanted to know if it was normal. It is only noticable if you are looking for it. I will possibly try that power conditioner. Need to talk my wife into it. ;o) This is the remote I was talking about...
http://www.powersystemsdirect.com/Sony/Universal_Learning_Remote_Control_12_Devi ce_RMVL1000_199.php
It is a Sony 12 Device RM-VL 1000. Also on a footnote, I have a Sony Dream system Home theater and a Sony VCR along with my Mitsubishi TV and Motorola Comcast Cable Box. If I don't get that one I was thinking about the One in ALL (Camelion)=$89 at CC. The Sony one is $49 at Costco. Again I appreciate your response and being serious. Sometimes when you ask questions other consider Mickey Mouse, you get flamed. Thanks for not doing that. Like I said before I noticed the crackling one time a lot and that was after having our power off for a few hours while we had a new outlet put in our kitchen. I just never noticed it before. Also, if I had the remote that would turn the TV, receiver/dvd, and the cable box on at the same time I don't think I would notice that as much, if at all. I am still going to check out the power conditioner. Thanks again and please respond back.

Sincerely...

<><

Bronze Member
Username: Bestbuyguy

Post Number: 13
That remote has programmable macros. In layman's terms. it can turn on more than one thing at once. I think they only advantage to getting the chamelion remote from CC, is that it would be a lot easier to program. If you're willing to shell out the money, look into these harmony remotes. These are the most user friendly remotes out there, easy to program easy to use, and it corresponds with your computer to program it, right over the internet. All your settings are saved on the computer under a user account, so if they need to be modified you can do so. Your wife would love it. ;-) check it. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/productlistharmony/US/EN,CRID=2080

If this is out of your price range, stick with the sony. Good price, and good features. programming it shouldn't be TOO hard, they can't make a remote impossible to program.

and the power conditioner situation, it sounds like the problem you're talking about is somewhat normal. But give the power conditioner a try. Monster makes great ones, like i said 79 bucks. It also acts as a surge protector. If you still hear that noise after making use of the conditioner, return it. But you DOO want to use a surge protector to hook up to the television and its components, it's just smart. Any other questions, let me know.

Anonymous

Jonathan,

Again thanks for the info. I do have a monster surge protector both on my upstairs and downstairs systems. I think the static thing is normal and I think once I get my remote and get it going that will not be as bad. I have decided to buy the Kameleon for my home theater system that we have been talking about mainly because of you telling me it would be easier and also I saw a demonstration on the net and really liked it. On my smaller home theater in my den I was thinking about getting this remote
http://www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC%208810
Would this one turn everything on at the same time? It says it will but I have found out not to believe everything you read on the net or elsewhere. Would you take a look at it and tell me what you think. It would be a lot cheaper for my smaller system. Again, I really appreciate your help and time with all the answers you have provided me. I will not get a chance to try out my new remotes until our kitchen renovation is over and that will be in a week.
Take it easy...

<><
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us