Cable box question

Username: Cabelese

Post Number: 1
I'm a Comcast subscriber in S Cal. I want to save $ on cable bill and need opinions on buying cable boxes...read on. I'm not talking about anything illegal.

We have the Scientific Atlanta boxes they rent to us (4 of them for almost 15.00 per month just for the boxes...rip off!) If I stayed a subscriber, but bought my own boxes, the monthly cost would be about 50.00. Directv total choice (with three rooms and their goofy extra 4.95 charges to have each receiver actually get separate channels) is also about 50.00 per month (39.95 + 9.00). No advantage there.

We don't watch sports, don't speak Spanish, don't listen to music..and primarily only need four or five channels for the kids...nickelodeon, pax, history, discovery, disney. That's about it.

We don't care about surround, we don't watch high definition tv and probably won't get into that stuff for another ten years.

I've read that it's legal to own your own analog boxes. Comcast is vague when I ask them (surprise). So...where do I buy these boxes (analog) that'll work with Comcast? Thanks for your help.

Username: Bestbuyguy

Post Number: 4
well look at it this way, if you went with Direct TV, visit any retail store,(be it circuit city, best buy whatever) or get in contact with direct TV. There are offers giving you free equipment ie.
3-Rooms + Sattelite + Installation= Free
By rebate of course

And if i understand, you are currently paying $65/month with your boxes for comcast. I have not seen them sold, but analog boxes cost anywhere between 75-150 depending on quality and who makes them. Not only that, they are VERY hard to get a hold of, mybe over the internet, or radio shack.

Make an inbetween estimate, say you buy 3 analog boxes at $125. that's $375 whereas, with direct TV, your equipment is free, and you would be paying the same amount with comcast as if you got rid of your boxes. $65/mo. -$15/mo 50/month.

Seems to me that direct TV would save you about 375/ year.

Username: Cabelese

Post Number: 3
Thanks. Maybe I'll look at Dish Network. They're even less expensive than Directv and have the same basic channels we're looking for.

Username: Bestbuyguy

Post Number: 7
well good, their equipment is free too? i wasn't aware, but then again, it would only make sense seeing as directv does it. Glad i could help.

Anonymous

I would recommend that if you want to purchase a Scientific Atlanta cable TV box that you visit www.newelectronx.com. You can get a raw box if you want for cheap. The more you purchase the less you will pay. I have purchased with them several times and find that they are very helpful. If you need a cable box descrambler, Super J 5 wire, Super Chip, test chip, Jerrold Quickboard, or what ever then maybe you should try looking to them to see what they can do for you. Good luck to you...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us