Anyone have Samsung DLP & PS2

Username: James_restoper

Post Number: 1
Are there any synchronization problems using any of the DLP tv's and the playstation2? I remember reading somewhere on here about someone having that problem...that there was like 1/2 second delay and was affecting the game controllers. I can't seem to find that post. I am interested in the 507w but would like to know if there are any sync issues. Also any problems with the xbox and this tv?

Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 11
Jaime,
I have read most of the 507w posts and have not seen anything about the PS2. I just bought a PS2 2 weeks ago, and a 507w yesterday (should have it Friday).
There is a post regarding the XBox and this set. The Samsung inputs are 1. 480i/480p, 2. 480p,720p,1080i, 3. 480p, 720p, 1080i. The xbox menus are in 480i. HD games are in 720p. So there is not an input that can handle both. SOmeone suggested hooking the x-box up to the 480i/480p input and setting up the menus. Then switching it to the HD input. THis will allow you to play games in HD, but not have access to the menus.
I can post again this weekend after I get my system working.
-E

Post Number: 2
Eric,
That would be wonderful!!! Thanks so much! I look forward to hearing from you and your experience with the PS2 and the HLN-507w. What games do you play on PS2? Also, where did you end up buying your set from and how much? How old are you?

Post Number: 12
James,
You want to buy the set from a store that will take care of you if there are any problems. I went with HiFi Buys (same as tweeter and sound advice). They matched the on-line CC promotion. $3999 with $350 gift card and free delivery. (No actual gift card, they deducted the amount) I also got the 5yr protection plan which covers the bulb.
I did find some people that have had a problem with the PS2 image not filling the set entirely, black or gray bars at the sides. Noone knows why this happens on some sets. I'll just have to wait and see.
I play SOCOM, getting better. This game does support progressive scanning, so my picture should be great.
-E

Jaime Restrepo
Unregistered guest
Eric,
Actually, I can probably get the TV, factory sealed for about $3500 from a local store, since they will meet an internet ad that I had printed out for proof. I'm wondering if you have any of the following games that if you wouldn't mind trying to see if there are any of those black or gray bars. Aside of paying sooo much for a tv, my other concern was about the problem connecting the ps2 (since it is my console of choice)
Metal Gear Solid 2
Grand Theft Auto / GTA Vice City
Any Starwars game
GI Jockey 3 (horse racing)
Gallop Racer 2001

Look forward to hearing your results.

Anonymous

can you post the internet ad? I would like to see if my local tweeter will match the internet prices.

Post Number: 13
Hey,
I just got my set, 507W, and my HD box, mostly connected. Looks pretty good out of the box. I'll pick up the monster PS2 component cables tom. Then I'll have to tweek out the set.
-E

Post Number: 6
Congratulations on your new set!!! I'm so envious! Anyway, thanks for the update and I look forward to hearing your experience with the PS2 and the Samsung DLP and if there are any syncro problems.

Post Number: 8
Eric,

I forgot to ask. Would you share your thoughts about the tv now that you have it, and what you have connected into what. Will you be using the PC connection? Do you have analog cable? etc.

Post Number: 15
Jaime,
I got the TV all hooked up, including new Monster component cables for the PS2. In general the picture is excellent. I do not see any over emphasis on greens. I have yet to tweek the tv out. I set the PS2 for 16:9 on SOCOM, with progressive scanning, but this resulted in a stretched image. I set the SOCOM image to 4x3 on the TV. There were no synching problems at all. I am not sure about other games and if they support a true 16x9 image without stretching. I have digital cable and the picture on the regular channels is very good.
-E
Samsung 507w
Yamaha 795A
Sony 715 DVD
Monster 3600
PS2

Post Number: 10
Eric,
I'm glad to hear about no synching problems!!!
But I didn't know that PS2 did progressive scanning. Also, did you set your PS2 for 16:9 display in the main menu of the PS2? I'm wondering if that may be the reason for stretching. Hopefully you can try other games and see if you get different results.

I unfortunately will now not be buying a tv for awhile as I have to remodel my kitchen which will set me back about $5,000. :-( So no new tv for me but I'm hoping to be able to be back in the tv buying mode summer of this year, and by that time I'm hoping the new Samsung DLP's will be out by then with the 2+ chip or even the 3 chip at around the same price as the HLN-437w or 507w are at now.

Post Number: 17
Jaime,
I did set the PS2 to 16:9 in the menu. THe PS2s now do progressive scanning. I am not sure when Sony started with this. THe only other game I plan on playin is GT4 when it comes out.
-E

viclick
Unregistered guest
Gentlemen,

I read these posts with some interest. I took delvery of a 50" Samsung. Very nice TV but the the PS2 set for 480P actually looks better on a regular TV. That really surprised me!

Maybe I've missed a setting. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Vic

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Vic,
How do you have the PS2 hooked up? I wonder if it depends upon the game you are playing. I play SOCOM which looks pretty good on my 507w with the monster PS2 component cables. THe 16x9 mode is simply a stretched image, so I use 4x3. I hope when GT4 comes out it supports true 16x9, and digital sound.
-E

Unregistered guest
Anyone who can enlighten me on the difference between the Samsung LCD projection TV (i.e SP-61LSHX) and the Samsung DLP TV (i.e HLN617W)

viclick
Unregistered guest
Eric,

Thanks for the reply. We're playing Socom and using Monster component cables at 4:3. We've noticed that people at a distance are unclear, and sometimes indistinguishable from the background. We also see some blockiness in text on signs and buildings. We're really losing a lot of detail. We can see a difference in the menus when we switch from 480i to 480p, but the game does not look like it sees 480p. Maybe that's as good as it gets and we're expecting too much. It seems strange though that the picture looks better on a conventional 27" TV set.

We're thinking about the xbox - a lot of those games are doing HDTV. That should be very nice!

Vic

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Vic,
Maybe that is why I am so bad at SOCOM, although getting better. People are supposed to blend in with the background, especially seals. I am going to see what it looks like tonight with 480i. I do wonder if it is the game that does not support progressive scanning, creating a lower quality image.
There are a several posts regarding the XBox and the Samsung DLP. THe set does not have an input for 480i and 720p, which the XBOx needs. People are setting up the XBox using the 480i/480p input, then switching the connection to the 720p/1080i input. Just one more reason not to buy an XBox.
-E

viclick
Unregistered guest
Eric,

I didn't mention that we're using Socom II, which is supposed to do 480p. We're going to play around with it a bit tonight.

I laughed at the seal blending into the background comment. The only trouble is that the bad guys who are walking leisurely down a path look very, very bad.

Good point about the xbox and the Samsung. The TV does not have an input for 480i and 720p. Switching the cables around will definitely be a pain.

I'll post what we find.

Vic

viclick
Unregistered guest
Well, we tried every setting we could find and it still doesn't look like we thought it would look. We tried Grand Turismo 3, too. It looked OK but we were expecting better quality running in progressive mode. Perhaps our expectations were too great.

Oh well. The next Playstation may be HD.

Vic

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Vic,
I'm pretty happy with my picture quality with socom on my 507w. My only comparison is with my 7 year old RCA 32" which is getting kind of tired.
-E
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us