Sony XBR--swapped out component video cable and the magic's gone!

TrVr
Unregistered guest
I've just finally set up surround-sound around my 2 year old 32" Sony Wega XBR. Since I've added a new Denon 2803 receiver, I've also had to add more cables for the setup.

In my pre-Surround Sound configuration, my DVD player was directly connected to my Monitor using a 3' Acoustic Research Pro component cable. With the addition of the new Receiver, I moved this DVD-Monitor connection to Receiver-Monitor, and added a new Monster 2 component cable (also 3') to feed the DVD-Receiver. When buying this cable, I was somewhat hesitant to spend that much money, but the salesman convinced me that it would be noticeably better than a plain Monster Standard (though similar to the AR Pro I was using already). Watching a favorite concert DVD last night on the new setup, I was really blown by the true reality of the picture--better than ever--as if I could truly reach through the screen. I felt totally justified in spending the extra money.

Unfortunately, I also found that I hadn't left enough clearance around the receiver (the DVD player above was getting very hot) and had to rearrange some equipment...moving my DVD player to a cabinet on the side...thereby needing an 8-9' cable. Since Monster does make that Level 2 in 8-9' lengths, and I didnt want to buy a 12' length at double the price of the one I was replacing, I looked for an alternative. I felt lucky when I found that Monster does make an 8' length in it's THX line, and cheaper than the 3' Monster Level 2. Hooked it up tonight, and the magic is not there anymore. I'm really disappointed now. and seriously thinking about spending the extra money to get back the picture quality I saw last night.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is the issue the increased length, or is it the cable. Any advice???

Username: Dubz

Post Number: 7
ummm, the THX line is 'better' than monster 3, and you said you got a better pic with monster 2?

Post Number: 8
and how is the 8 foot monster thx cheaper than the 3' monster 2? a 3' monster 2 is like $50, a 8' THX is $130.

maybe the majic isn't gone, it just wore off, roll up another, it'll come back

TrVr
Unregistered guest
Don't forget that Monster also has 2 grades of its THX line, Standard and Ultra...the price difference between the 3' is $35 vs $130. I had purchased the THX Standard....which is not as good as the Video 2 cable.

Post Number: 10
oh, ive only ever seen the better line. offering a cheaper thx line, makes it seem like the thx isn't all so special (propoganda anyways)

you could always try a longer monster 2, but in my experience cables don't really do anything. you get to a point where you need to do alot to get a little, and none of the connections inside the tv or dvd player are as superior as a monster 2 cable. and like the salesmen always say "your picture is only as strong as you weakest link" as they put a $100 cable in your cart that only cost them 40, and monster 1 to make.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us