Dlp vs. lcd

Username: Poseidon

Post Number: 1
I am in the process of making a decision between lcd vs. dlp. I went to one store and they had me pretty sold on the Samsung 50" DLP but today I went to another store and they steered me towards the Sony Grand Wega 50". I realize the picture is nicer on the DLP but the sales man said the mirrored pixels in the Samsung cpould easily break rendering the Tv useless once the warranty expires whereas with the Sony breaking down is far less probable. Am i being taken for a ride because they didn't have the Samsung in stock or does he have a point? And are there better lcd's than the Grand Wega?

Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 6
Brian,
Which stores did you go into? There are many posts on this forum about useless BB and CC sales people. I have heard the ridiculous comments that many of these sales people make.
Anyway, back to your question.
THe LCDs have a real problem with stuck pixels. This can result in a fixed dot on your screen. Apparently in the literature that comes with the Sony sets, it says that this is normal. You don't want to pay thousands for a set and have a fixed dot or two or more. If you do get a certain number within an area of the set, they will replace it. I am not sure of how long the set will last, if it wears out or not, some say yes. Apparently the LCDs do not refresh fast enough, so if you are watching fast action the image loses its crispness.
The DLPs have a great picture, some say too artificial. I did see one set that probably had a broken mirror, with a fixed dot. But I have not read a single post about this being a problem. I definitely think the Samsung has a better picture with better black levels.
I am not even considering an LCD, but the Sony and Hitachi sets seem to be selling like hotcakes.
Whichever set you buy consider buying the extended warranty, and make sure they specify what is covered, and that they show it to you in writing. Just my 2 cents.
-E

Anonymous

I looked at both Samsung DLP, Hitachi & Sony LCD for months. Some say DLP is better, some say it's not. Who knows for sure?

Forgot the technology and just look at which PQ you like best. For me I choose the KF-50WE610 & hadn't look back since. This TV does a great job, even with SD programming and DVD's. I've been more than satisfied. A number of my friends who own other types of HDTV's - came over and to check out my GWIII, and all they say is "You have me beat!"

Next week I'm going to introduce my HTPC to my GWIII & start watching DVD's upconverted to 720p - I wonder what my friends & neighbors will say then?

Username: Toaster

Post Number: 8
HTPC?

Anonymous

Home Theater PC, aka.. "HTPC"

Anonymous

Message 1 - Sales man said "the mirrored pixels in the Samsung could easily break rendering the Tv useless once the warranty expires....

What I think he ment to say is - a broke or stuck mirror is equalivent to a dead pixel on a LCD. The TV is not rendered useless - that's incorrect. Does it frequently occur - don't think so, but your milage may vary....

More reading can be found at the following....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=036f7701fe1be27700cf9d2728cbef2f &threadid=357481&highlight=stuck+mirror

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us