Speaker Re-use Question

Stephen Sproule
I've been looking at different audio stores to try to get a A/V receiver and speakers for about $1,000 Cdn. The sales people are leaning towards a Panasonic SA-HE70/100 (probably because of my Panasonic DVD player) or Yamaha RX-V430 receiver.

However, the difference is the speakers. I currently have 2 Tannoy speakers that I bought in 1991. Some sales people recommend me re-using these speakers for the front speakers and buying the center and rear speakers. Other sales people recommend a package of 5 speakers. To save on costs, everybody is recommending Canadian speakers like Paradigm, Athena, Dahlquist, or PSB. I do have a quote on a Tannoy center-speaker but it's expensive.

Is it better to go with a 5 speaker package or use my Tannoy speakers and just buy the 3 speakers? Does anybody have any other advice on these speakers or receivers?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

po
A matching 5 speaker package will probably sound better. If you get yourself a set of Paradigm's you won't be disappointed.

I would get the Yamaha receiver over the Panasonic any day. Yamaha produces much better sound.

You could get 5 Paradigm speakers (2 Titans, 2 Atoms, 1 CC-170) for around $500 and a Yamaha entry level receiver for another $500. That's american dollars though so I think this is a little over your budget. However that's about as cheap as it will get unless you buy a home theater in a box like the Onkyo HT-S650.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us