Hooking up DVD ---> Home Theater

Username: Dannyman

Post Number: 6
I juts bought a Panasonic SC-HTO5 and I'm at a dead end in connecting.

I only have 2 color coded audio cables coming from the DVD player, 1 white, 1 red. I hooked it up and only the 2 front speakers had sound. It seems like I need another cable to get Dolby Digital?

The crap instruction say "Use a digital connection to enjoy Dolby Digital or DTS" what the the heck does that mean!? As you can see I'm at a dead end and I am usually very good when it comes to techie stuff. I'd appreciate any help, thanks

-Danny

Username: Dannyman

Post Number: 7
It seems like I need more cables. I was going to add a scan of the manual but it wouldn't load on here!

It's just not my day today. My car even had a flat tire today when I came out of the store with my Panasonic system.

Gina2004
Unregistered guest
You need to have the yellow RCA cable to go monitor out to the TV. Also in the settings you have to select prologic, Dolby Digital. To get surround sound. Hope this helps!!!

Unregistered guest
I just bought a Home Theater Receiver the other day, see my other post. I had previously connected my DVD player to my television using a standard pair of stereo cables (Red/White). In order to get full 5.1/6.1 surround sound from my DVD to my receiver, I had to switch to a digital connection.

There were two choices, digital/optical (24.99 for 6 feet at Best Buy) or digital/coax which was more expensive. Some machines offer an option to use a 6-pack cable, but mine did not. I bought a 3 foot optical cable, which was a mistake because 3 feet is a lot shorter than you might think. I was able to use it, but 6 feet would have been better, especially when I was testing out the setup. Optical worked GREAT for me.

The Red/White RCA cable is literally a left speaker/right speaker pair. On the back of your receiver it will literally say LEFT and RIGHT. To support 6 speakers (5.1) or 7 speakers (6.1) you would technically need that octopus cable to carry a signal for each speaker. The digital cables manage to carry all of the 6 (or 7) signals on a single cable.

P.S. My pre-purchase research was primarily about which units had the best price/performance. I did not do enough research about the technology. You might want to check out http://hometheater.about.com/od/beforeyoubuy/a/surroundsound.htm or get recommendations for some other sites. Now that I have this cool piece of technology, I guess I need to learn something more about it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us