Feedback on Pioneer DCS-424 "3-spot surround", anybody?

jota_esse
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I'm considering getting a DCS-424 set from Pioneer (http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=8530&taxonomy_id=62-10 0), since I'm limited in space for my back speakers, plus don't havo too much $$$ to spend. This packege is pretty new, so I can't find a review anywhere about its performance. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback from anybody out there... cheers!

Unregistered guest
Hi!

I'm also considering the set, but the only review I've found was Dutch. And because I hardly understood a bit of it, I'm still so confused about it, as You are. Anyway on the Dutch site, after 3 users review, the set had 8 of 10 points (1 person was unhappy about it and gave 7, other gave 7-9). If You have more inormation about reviews, please send it to me

[2bro-s] Gummer
Unregistered guest
I find it a very good set. got it for 2 months now. DVD (5.1, prologic2, DTS)sound is very good, just the 3-spot surround is not nearly as good as the 5.1 setup wich you can also set up with this system. design is also very nice, and install/setup is a piece of cake. i'd say from me it gets a 9 out of 10. then again, the real audiofreaks would argue about the CD-audio quality, but i find it quit good for an al-in-one set and it replaces my old stereo set. You've got a lot of options to tweak the sound to your liking. I for instance set the bass to "off" when listening to music (tuner, CD) and to "cinema" when watching movies which deepens the powerfull bass even more and gets you trembling on your couch :-)
I see you've got limited space for you speakers and would like to use 3-spot surround. I find that setup sounds very spatial, but its just not the real "from behind" sound. Hope this was usefull.

just a casual visitor form holland.
Louis [2bro-s]Gummer

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1646
If you want a great home theater in a box set, then this is the place to ask or inform others.
Forget the "real" audio freaks, we all have budgets to consider and what we chose for our budget is what we live with, not impress others.

I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate the mini reviews, who are looking for the same items.

Gummer,
Does that unit have actual surround sound speakers that are just placed on top of the front main left and right speakers?
I'm wondering how it works.

cheers

jota_esse
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the mini-review Gummer, that's the sort of opinion I was looking for!

Berny, I can answer your question: yes, the surround speakers are placed on top and detacheable from the main speakers. The set allows for virtual surround from all speakers placed in the front, or real surround by detaching the surround speakers and placing them in the back.

Regards!

[2bro-s] Gummer
Unregistered guest
Jota_esse,

glad to be of assistance.

Berny, they can be be placed upon the front speakers or as seperates behind the listening position (like Jota_esse said), they are small and can be attached to the wall. there are small plastic caps (don't know exactly what word to use) te be placed on the front speakers when detached. and "plastic footplates" for the rearspeakers when detached. when in 3-spot surround (all speakers from front) the music sounds quiet good. I use this setup for now until we get our new floor in wich i can place the rear cables. when watching a movie I detach the rear speakers and place them right and left behind the sofa (with the cables running across the floor) i place them back afterwards. I don't think many people watch a DVD movie every night so this can be exeptable to do, but it must be said that the quality of the mounts on the front speakers cannot take this year in year out. as i said, when the new floor gets in (few months) i will permenently place the rear speakers behind the sofa.
anyway that's how i use it right now.
if you buy it you will not be disapointed.

Louis [2bro-s]Gummer

Username: Kasim

SeixalPortugal

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I'm from Portugal and I recently bought a DCS-424 set, but unfortunately the cables were not longer enough in order to put it in correct disposition (5.1 setup). Therefore I need your help to find any shop where I can get the coded colour terminals or can someone help me and send it to me.

I'm really disappointed because I bought something which I can not used it.

Yours sincerely

José Brinquete

Adress:

Rua Eusébio Leao n.º 11 2.º A
Paio Pires
2840-100 Aldeia de Paio Pires
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us