Component cooling in Cabinets?

Bronze Member
Username: Okkin

AZ

Post Number: 16
Hey guys do you of any soltutions to cool your componets in a sealed cabinet? Are there any products on the market made specifically for this?

Other than run down to Radio shack and buy a fan etc....

Bronze Member

AZ

Post Number: 17
anyone?

johnm
Unregistered guest
Similar to a computer tower you can use small fans to cool the cabinet.
A small one at the bottom of the cabinet to suck in cool air and a small one at the top of the cabinet to blow out hot air.

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 16
That's essentially what I plan on doing. I'm getting a new receiver tomorrow & the fit will be tight. I'm getting a PC case fan--biggest one I can get & the max CFM. I plan--depending on pieces I can find at the store--on hooking it to the switch 115VAC output on the receiver.

My brother-in-law has done the same thing with great success.

Bronze Member

AZ

Post Number: 19
Hey Chris, You sadi your brother in law did the same thing....my thing is that I have Sealed cabinets with no exhaust...Will I be essentially be blowing out the hot air around the cabinet then and not out?

Check out this Ebay auction, this is what I bought looks real nice setup....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D5720735478&ssPageName= STRK:MEWA:IT

bitetyson
Unregistered guest
Okkin,

I just bought a component piece of furniture from a place called Diamond Case Design based out of California (I live in Texas). They have some *nice* furniture pieces for low, mid, and high end home theatre enthusiasts.

http://www.diamondcase.com/Main_Menu.HTML

They have a Theatre Tech model that has a ventilation and cooling system feature built in.

http://www.diamondcase.com/TT/TT_HTML_Files/TT_Pro.HTML

I ordered the TT-400 with all the optional features (Lighting, cooling, and power surge).

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Convection (air movement over the transistors and heat sinks) is what cools them. Recirculating hot air is better than nothing as long as it keeps moving. I can't get your image to load but my question is, are there no doors that you can open slightly when you are using the system?
If you are still concerned I would suggest you use a hole saw and cut an exhaust hole in the back of the cabinet. If you do this mount the fan at the hole to exhaust air out the back of the cabinet.

Unregistered guest
Hi,
I have an amp and a dvd player placed next to each other inside a wide cabinet. I am very concerned about heating because both my amp and dvd tend to get rather hot after some time of using.
This is most probably due to lack of circulation. There isnt much space between the sides of d amp and dvd player and the side wall of the cabinet. Same thing for the top.
I was thinking of installing 2 computer fans, however im not quite sure on where to place dem.
Should i make a hole under the amp / dvd and fix them there to push cool air from underneath or should i make two holes at the top to extract the warm air?
Also as regards to power, is there a way to connect them in such a way that they switch on whenever u turn on the amp ?
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 51
Didn't see the replys here until today. What both my brother and I did was to chop an additional hole through the back panel of the cabinet and mounted our fans there.

The first fan I got was WAY overkill--too much air moving and way too much noise. So I returned it and got one from Radio Shack & it works wonderfully. The fan is mounted just above the top surface of the receiver & sucks air out of the cabinet. The receiver case barely even gets warm even after hours of running video. It has basically no ventilation to the sides as it just fits in the width available. As far as powering the fan, I specifically got a 115VAC fan and a power cord pigtail at Radio Shack; connect the two and plug in to the switched output on the receiver. The fan only runs when the receiver is on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us