To Upgrade, or not to Upgrade. That is the question.

Username: Scott_w

Post Number: 1
Hi,
We're redecorating our living room, and the decorator would dearly love to have me replace my old system, purchased in the mid 80's, with a less bulky system. One that would fit better in the new scheme. Of course, she's not paying for it either. Here's what I have:

Amp: Carver M-4.0t
PreAmp: Yamaha Natural Sound c-65
Speakers: 2 Yamaha NS-500M
DVD: Pioneer DV-C503

I don't want to spend more than $1,000 to replace/update the system, and I'm concerned that the stereo sound would be poorer if I did replace it. I also would like to leave myself options to have HT sound in the future.

Any opinions or suggestions on whether I should keep the old system or move on to some new tehcnology?

All opinions and suggestions arewelcome.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1454
The Yamaha NS Speakers have to go. How small are we talking here?
You can check out the Axiom M22, and they come in different finishes that can complement any decor. You can even have the speaker grills custom colored.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m22.html

Post Number: 2
Sounds like an attractive alternative. The Axiom M22's really sound better? I'm not questioning your veracity -- 20 years is a long time to be out of the loop -- but I can fill my living room with sound quite nicely with the Yamaha's. (perhaps my hearing isn't so good?!!)

Would the M22's need an additional subwoofer?

Thanks for your responses!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1457
Absolutely better than the Yamahas. And yes you would probably need a subwoofer. This unit is a bookshelf type and they are never know to provide the punch that subwoofers provide. But if you want great sound with outstanding clarity and a well defined soundstage, the M22 will provide quite nicely.
cheers

Post Number: 3
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out.

Regards,

Gold Member

Post Number: 1486
No problem, let us know what you decide and tell us your experience.
cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us