Best Home Theater System For TV Viewing

I'm considering a Home Theater System for Digital Cable TV viewing exclusively.

I don't ever rent/buy films and don't own a DVD player.

I'm more interested in having cable broadcasts "surround" me with sound; filling out the room.

Would I be better off going with a traditional stereo receiver with 4 speakers?

Or should I shoot for a Surround sound system with Dolby Pro Logic II?

I'm currently considering:

---> An Onkyo TX-SR500 Receiver

---> Energy Take 5.2 Speaker System

Is this overkill for watching The Sopranos?

Thanks!

Steve

Steve

I'm running with an Onkyo TXDS494 (55 wrms)and last week purchased my first 'audiophile' speakers in over twenty years; Energy Take 5.2 with S8.2 subwoofer. I cannot believe how great the sound is from this combination using any source, even cable broadcasts. Meets the WFA (wife acceptance factor) for speaker size also. I thoroughly researched and auditioned both products and am convinced of best quality for dollar value. I've never written a review or responded so enthusiastically about products until now. I just wanted to reinforce your decision. I do know of what I speak too. I've been into high-end audio for 30 years and have owned the best.

Steve Gabriel

po
For what you'll use it for, definitely get a home theater receiver with Dolby Pro Logic II. And get a full 5.1 speaker set. DPLII does a pretty good job of giving a surround effect. It will make the Sopranos sound great.

It also does a good job in music mode for surround sound music (digital cable usually has some good music stations too).

Also, I'm sure at some point cable will broadcast 5.1 sound anyway and you'll be ready when it does.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us