Onkyo 650 and DD

Anonymous
I finally tried to get dolby digital running (for LOTR) on the 650 last night, and it would only run prologic II. My budget system includes a ps2 as the dvd player for now. I hooked up an optical cable to input 1 on the 650. Set the receiver to dvd and optical 1 as the input. Set the ps2 to run optical cable. Made sure I set the movie to Dolby 5.1 The receiver kept Prologic II as the surround decoder. Any ideas?

Is it possible that you didn't set the PS2 audio settings to output DD? I know with my Xbox I had to do this before DD would be recognized by mine. By the way, how do you like your unit!? I just received mine last week and I've watched more movies in the last 5 days than I have in the past 4 months! Great system for the money. Good luck!

d. lee
i have the same problem as Anonymous. i've tried watching a number of movies in dolby digital, but they all only run in prologic ii or some other stereo mode. i've tried the same ps2 setup and setup with a samsung dvd player, and have gotten the same results with both. any help would be much appreciated.

Anonymous
Make sure that the Dolby 5.1 and DTS option on your DVD player is enabled. The Samsung will have a problem if you don't enable this. Not sure about the PS2.

good luck

Anonymous
I posted the first question, and the responses are correct. It is not enough to just set the optical output to "on." There is a further setting in the PS2 for dd/dts which must be turned on. LOTR was great on prologic 2. When played back on dd, it was unbelievable!!

Brian
How, exactly do you access the DD/dts option on the PS2?

Is the option available only after enabling the optical output?

Anonymous
I would go with the Kwnwood HTB-505 as the Onkyo HT-S650 has lots of problems. Just go through the forums and you will see what I am talking about.

Anonymous
BLAH,BLAH,BLAH..."Kenwood is better, Onkyo has problems"...go post somewhere else if you have no useful info to give here. From what I've seen, most people LOVE their HT-S650 and they don't need to hear repeatedly from you everytime they try to read a post here. Logoff your computer and go enjoy your Kenwood.

I have another Onkyo system HTS755. I bought the moster optical cable for my xbox, but have problems connecting it to the Onkyo Optical input. It does not fit. Has anybody have the same problem or found a solution?

Anonymous
Do not buy the Onkyo unless you want to spend your time in a repair shop.

Anonymous
I will never buy Onkyo again. Overheats, lousy speakers, etc.

Anonymous
Try upgrading your speaker cables to a larger gauge - I use 16, although some prefer 14 or even 12- to beat the overheating problem. As to speakers, how are yours lousy? Mine are clear throughout the range. There is currently an issue with the lfe output, and it is unknown just how Onkyo will resolve it. Still, I watched LOTR with my son today and heard wonderful low bass (with the sub in Mode 1) and verrrry low frequency on Sauron's demise in the prologue, in the mines of Moria, etc. Just wonderful, clear, clean sound from those low frequencies up to the boy sopranos/contra-tenors. Even knowing about the lfe issue, the speakers in Mode 1 are head and shoulders above Kenwood, the lower end Sony systems (at least), and most other systems at $500 or less. I did not listen to the Pioneer system that is out and has good specs. Listen for yourself before you buy.

Anonymous
The Sony DDW840 is $325.00, you can use the stock wires, it is trouble free and gives Onkyo a real run for the money.
By the way Onkyo raised the price on the HT-S650 to $549.00 the first of the year.

Anonymous
Onkyo is king of HTIB. kenwood will always light years away behind. =p

Grimace
Do not buy the Onkyo HTS 650. The defect with the LFE Channel is real and very widespread among the people that already own this system. Why would you buy something that you know is defective? That's what Onkyo is hoping you would do. They are hoping that we are too stupid to know the difference or to care.

People that are still recommending the HTS 650 are just plain ignorant, and that is what Onkyo is banking on. We're still waiting for Onkyo to do something about this defect.

po
God Grimace,
Are you like the Onkyo police or something? Yeah yeah yeah, we've all heard about the LFE problem. Can you shut it please? Thanks much.

Define "very widespread". I suppose you have statistics indicating the number of defective units in the field? Is it 1 in 10 are defective? 1 in 20? What's the probability of a defective unit? My 650 works fine. By all the testimonials I've read, many other people's work fine too.

OnkyoOwner
Thanks Po, for trying to silence the Grimace.
Hopefully he won't dissuade people from buying this bargain of an HT system. Although, it would be good PR if Onkyo would admit there is a problem.
I have the Onkyo HTS-650 & am really pleased with it.
From my tests, I still cannot determine if I have the LFE problem or not. I hear the same low bass sounds on all 3 sub modes using a THX optimizer--they are clear bass sounds no "gurgling, blurbing", etc. BUT they are at a much lower volume than the other speakers when volume is set at the same level. Even when I do the regular sound test using the remote, the volume is also lower on the sub.
If I have the problem- big whoop-I'll live with it--not the end of the world. If I don't, I'll be even happier. I have a collection of lots of old classic movies on DVD where LFE & subwoofer isn't used, so I am happy with the clear crisp dialogue that comes from the center channel & the awesome sound in DTS using Sub mode 1 on newer movies.
Maybe I am just too dumb to notice the difference.
But heck, I might just have my priorities in order.

Anonymous
well put po. i do have a 650 and it does have the lfe problem. however, i wouldn't have noticed it 'til i've read about it and tested it out for myself. the issue is difficult to isolate because most consumers use sub-mode1, however, it's not widespread. i would still keep the system if it wasn't within 30-days period. i will exchange the receiver. still head and shoulder above the competition for the price even if you there's a lfe issue. anyway, i will keep you posted.

Pietaster
To OnkyoOwner: I don't think you have the bug. Mine does the exact same thing you said yours did during the THX test. No matter what the volume, I got a very low (put your ear up to the sub) faint rumble. But, it was a steady stream rumble, no burping, hiccup or garbled sound. This was the case in all Modes. I just couldn't tell about the lfe using AOTC like everyone else, so I used LOTR:FOTR. I used Mode 3 and just played the scene at the bridge. Even though it didn't have the "oomph" Mode 1 had, there was plenty of steady stream rumbling that shook the house. As far as I know, if it is doing this in mode 3 without sounding choppy or garbled( whatever the hell that means), I think we're alright.

Anonymous
anyone tried a different subwoofer to test out the LFE? I dont have a problem with my set, but a good quality sub will most likely crank out better LFE than the onkyo sub.

"Onkyo is still king of HTIB"

po
If your bass sounds solid, then you don't have the problem. Don't worry about the level. Because of the freq response of the sub, even if if was outputting the same actual -dB level, your ears would hear a fairly substantial level difference because the frequency range of the signal is so different from what comes out of the other speakers. Just the nature of human hearing.

In fact, if it sounds just as loud as the mains, you probably have the gain cranked too high.

The sub should fill in the low end, not overpower the mains. If you find yourself going, whoa I can really hear that subwoofer, then your sub is probably cranked too high. It should blend seamlessly when set at the proper level.

Pietaster
Po: Do you have this system? Where do you have the volume(s) set for the sub( rcvr and knob )? It seems to blow me away and rattle everything in sight on full, 0 set in rcvr. Half to me just doesn't seem enough.

OnkyoOwner
Pietaster-
I think I might have the LFE problem after all.
I rechecked my system this time listening to LOTR extended version- the prologue (defeat of Sauron scene)using the Dolby Digital EX 5.1 option with all 3 subwoofer modes--almost no bass sound came out in mode 3.
I listened again using the DTS 6.1 option and there was much more bass sound in mode 3.
From what I've read the LFE problem only occurs on Dolby Digital in subwoofer mode 3 & this seems to be what I experienced.
I have enjoyed the system listening in mode 1, so don't know under what conditions I would ever use sub mode 3. However I do hope Onkyo will offer a fix to those with receivers who have this glitch.

po
Hi Pietaster,

Yeah, I've got the system. After sort of fooling with it between movies and music, I've got it set to about 2/3 on the sub itself and 0 on the receiver. Like you I found full to be too much and 1/2 to be too little so I'm somewhere in between.

For me, I found this setting to be a happy medium between too much for music and too little for movies. To me, it's just about right.

I think it's hard to get a level that will work for both music and movies.

Ideally, I'd like to get a really good set of front left and right speakers, then set the sub to a level best for movies and when listening to music, set to stereo (no sub) which really should be the preferred mode for music.

-po

po
Remember it's not the level of bass that is the problem, it's a "choppy" quality to the bass. Sometimes, with just the LFE (mode 3), the bass can be a little thin (the mains and center don't give out quite enough ummph) that's why mode 1 is preferred.

If your bass sounds clean, you don't have the problem.

Pietaster
I do have the problem and luckily I got it fixed. I explained everything in the LFE Problem messages on this board. Thanks to everyone: Po, OnkyoOwner, OnkyoRepairman and everyone else for their help and information.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us