6.1 set up

Username: Dels

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased the Yamaha 730 and was instructed by Tweeter to install my speakers as a 6.1 set up. 2 front speaker, 2 side speakers, 1 center front, 1 center rear, 1 sub woofer.
Has anyone installed this type of setup? I would like to know if I was instructed with some wrong advise from Tweeter?

2nd question.
Where can I find movies recorded for 6.1? Most of what I am seeing is recorded for 5.1.

THank you for any help you can lend on this.

Dels

Username: Project6

Post Number: 30
You didn't get wrong advise from Tweeter. There is not a lot of movies recorded in 6.1, however they do exist. The Lord of the Rings extended editions are recorded in extended surround...look at the packaging, it usually says DTS-ES these formats are in 6.1 or 7.1. There is also Dolby Digital EX 5.1 and/or 6.1.
Some movies recorded in DTS-ES or DD-EX include Gladiator, Blade, Star Wars, Austin Powers Gold Member, Chicken Run, Final Destination 2, to name a few.
I have this type of set-up, a 7.1, actually 2 front, 1 center, 2 surrounds, 2 surround back and 1 subwoofer. It is nice and pulls you further into the middle of the action if done properly on DTS-ES diescrete as opposed to DTS-ES Matrix. The problem is that there is not a lot of these formats out there...but that's alright, the 5.1 set-up is really great on its own.
cheers

Username: Orcrone

Post Number: 4
If you look on page 9 of your owner's manual it will show speaker locations. Just a couple of points. The subwoofer can be placed almost anywhere. The two rear speakers are shown on the back wall. That is good, but you could also get a pair of dipole speakers and place them on the sidewalls, even with the listening position.

Hope this helps.

Username: Dels

Post Number: 2
Thank you for your response
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us