Newbie to HT

After much too much research I'm more confused and need help. Please note that I know very little about HT and I'm looking for something on an entry level basis. I have a small room (11x18) and a smaller budget (around $2K) as dictated by my Boss (wife). I was looking at the Onkyo Envision 950 because it was cheap and small. However, I not sure if this can do the job and I think I can do a little better for a little more $$$. Right now I'm looking at a Harmon Kardon AVR 225 or 320. I know that the 320 includes component video input but is it really needed. A salesman told me it wasn't needed because I should wire my system "source to source", that is DVD to the TV. Not via the receiver. I'm concerned about upgradeability. I'm sure I will get a satellite in the future. Please note I have a Sony HD monitor on order. For speakers I like the Energy Take 5.2 but i can get Atlantic Tech T70's with the HK 320 from OneCall for a good price. I haven't heard the T70's but all of the reviews look positive. Other speaker suggestions would be welcomed. The system will be used for a lot of music too (mostly traditional jass and R&B). I also require a progressive scan DVD but I have no idea what to get. Single disc? Changer? Help!

po
Please please please consider the speaker package deal on NHT that is running right now. Two SB2's, two SB1's, an SC1 and a SW10 for only $999. Holy moly that is a good deal and would handily blow the T70 or Energy Take 5.2 systems away! You can get the package at onecall.com too. Essentially, you'd be getting the sub ($500 normally) for free.

I think that's the best speaker deal running right now. NHT make the some of the best entry level audiophile monitors so definitely check them out. You would not be sorry. HUGE sound, very transparent, very high quality. They've got that black grand piano high gloss finish so they look great too.

Pair the speakers with an enty level Yamaha receiver ($500 or so) and you'll be cookin. You'll still have plenty left for a DVD player (if $2000 is your budget).

po
BTW, go to onecall.com home page and go to the Specials box and click "View all home theater package deals" to see the NHT deal.

-po

For 2K you can put together a really nice system. I would reccomend one of the following Marantz 5200, Denon 1803, Sherwood Newcastle R756 or the Onkyo 600. They are all very good it will be up to your personal prefernce. I have the Newcastle because I feel its far beyond the others for music.

As for speaker packages i would reccomend Axiom speakers. They are Canadian and come very highly regarded on all of the discussion boards. i would reccomend for your size room either the Epic master, epic 40 (if you want floor standing) or in my opinion one of Axioms best the Epic Grand Master.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/cgi-bin/a.pl?speakers&1134&index.html
http://www.sherwoodusa.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us