Onkyo HT-S650 Speaker Manufacturer is Polk?

Tim
I called the Onkyo distributor in Canada and they told me that the HT-S650 is not available here. You can buy it at soundcity.com and they will ship for an all inclusive price (duties and freight). the distributor told me that the speakers packaged with the HT-S650 are made by Polk. Does anyone know if this is true? If it is, all the more reason to buy this system over a Kenwood 505.

Anonymous
Do you know Onkyo Service center in Canada will cover the warrant or not if you buy HT-650 from US?

Thanks.

po
If they are made by Polk (which I doubt), they don't sound anywhere near as good as, say, the RTi28's or RTi38's which are Polk's entry level bookshelf speakers. The Onkyo's are "good enough" for entry level home theater but can't touch the quality of the Polk RTi series.

Don't get me wrong, I own the Onkyo HT-S650 but when I bought it, I compared the Onkyo L/R fronts with a pair of Polk RTi28's and the RTi28's were clearly better sounding. It wasn't even close.

Now that I'm "in the door" to home theater (and really loving it), my first upgrade is going to be the speakers.

Tim
No, The warranty is not honored in Canada if you buy from a US retailler. However, If you are in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver you can drive to Amhearst (NY), Plattsburgh (NY) or Blaine (WA) and there are authorized servce centers there that will honor the warranty (I checked). All are only about an hour and 15min from each city and customs won't make you pay duties on the repairs. Besides I had an Onkyo reciever a long time ago and it never broke. If you want to buy one call sound city (1 973 263-6060 x 714 (ask for Rich). He will sell it to you for 590$ USD delivered to your door, GST & PST and all duties included. This comes out to about 920$ Canadian, the same as a Kenwood HTB-505 from Future shop including the tax

Tim
Po, any idea who makes them then? I Know for certain that Polk makes Onkyo Speakers for thier exec. book shelf mini systems.

po
No, I don't know who makes them. I can't say for sure that it isn't Polk because I don't know. All I'm saying is that they don't compare with the speakers that Polk puts their brand name on. If you want Polk sound, I'm afraid you'll probably have to buy speakers that have the Polk name right on the front. You won't get Polk sound from 6 speakers that collectively only cost $200 no matter who makes them.

Interested in getting setup to resell Onkyo.
Can anyone give me their two cents on the best source for Onkyo in US (midwest)
Thanks;
Mike

Just purchased Onkyo tx sr700
for $632.00 from authorized dealer
includeing express delivery.
Check out your model at onecall.com

Anonymous
You have to realize that some people do not have megabucks to spend on home theater so I can recommend how to get the most bang for your buck.

HTB-205 by Kenwood

HTB-505 by Kenwood

The 205 is 85% as good as the Onkyo HT-S650
at half the price and the 505 is 98% to 99%
as good and is $150.00 less.

Anonymous
I'm glad you like your kenwood. I auditioned both the kenwoods and the Onkyo. To my ears, the Onkyo was far more than $150 better then the Kenwood 505. (The 202 sounded so bad I can't even suggest it as "good for the price.") The Kenwood had no bass and a very mediocre midrange. The Onkyo delivers incredible bass and the midrange and highs are wonderful. I do not have megabucks, but the Onkyo is well worth it.

Anonymous
Gotta agree. The 202 sounded lousy, and the 505 couldn't touch the Onkyo in sound quality...and spending an extra $150 (money WELL SPENT, BTW) on the ONKYO doesn't mean that a person has to have 'megabucks'. Kenwood isn't in the same class as ONKYO, IMHO.

Anonymous
You can purchase the Onkyo HT-S650 directly from the Onkyo website for $379.00 which includes a two year warranty.

Check it out.

Anonymous
Where can you purchase the HT-S650 on Onkyo's website. I can't find it for sale.

Anonymous
I just went to the Onkyo web site and I don't see the HT650 either. Maybe they just took it off?

Anonymous
Couldn't find it either. It was probably a refurb and it probably only came with a one-year warranty. They come and go alot on the website, so check back often.

Anonymous
Yeah - I just saw it at the Onkyo USA site on Friday for $439.

You're better off buying a new unit at Sound City for $434 (with the 13% off sale going on till 9:00 PM tonite.

Anonymous
There was a link on Onkyos website to a review for the HT650. If you follow that link and look at the review they list a few places that are selling the system. One site is wholesaleconnection.com. The system they are selling for $379 is refurbished. Here is the link : http://www.wholesaleconnection.com/productdetails.aspx?Product=1953

I am looking for an Okyo service center in the Montreal vicinity. Looking particularly for a laser reader for an Onkyo CD.

Thank you

mdg
Check here for some confirmation that HT-S650 speakers are made by Polk...

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB71&Number=372482&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Anonymous
If you remove the grill you will see inside on the top "Made By Polk"

OnkyoOwner
Last anonymous post-
I removed the grill, even unscrewed all 3 speaker cones and looked at the back of each piece--Nowhere do I see the word "Polk"
So can anyone really prove this?

Anonymous
If you saw EAT you saw Polk. EAT makes Polk speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us