Wall mounting Onkyo HST650 rear speakers dilema

Anonymous
For my Onkyo 650 surround speakers I have the rear speakers mounted quite high up on my side walls facing in toward each other. I adjusted the mounts so that the speakers point down and in at a slight angle. I had to do this to compromise with the wife because I originally had them set up about 3 feet over "listening" height and they were kinda "right in your face". Now they are less visible and she is talking to me again.

However, I ran into a slight dilema when mounting these. The hardware originally on the speaker is useless with my mounts so I had to screw the speaker mount hardware over the rear port hole covering about 85% of it. Will this effect the sound in any way? Doesn't seem to but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Anonymous
That is a good question--no solution provided here, but the speakers in this HTS system are a bit of a problem as far as mounting on walls/ceiling goes--any suggestions re your question and specific appropriate mounting gear sources would be appreciated

Anonymous
I used Vogel Swivel Brackets to wall mount the rears. Since the Onkyo 650 rears don't have the "normal" 1/4 mounting hole, I had to modify the speaker a bit. I could have probably screwed the mounting hardware to the side of the speaker or a little to the left/right of the port hole to avoid covering the hole, but it may have looked awkward on the wall. I figured there's not a hell of alot of bass coming from these and covering the port wouldn't effect the sound.
The speakers look much better at a higher level and the Vogel Brackets let you adjust the tilt and angle nicely.
There may be something better out there hardware wise but I just wanted to get them up there and the Vogel brackets suited the purpose just fine.

po
I agree that covering the port won't be a problem with these because they're only on surround duty.

Anonymous
This is probably a dumb question, but what did you do with your front speakers? I just checked this system out today, and was a little surprised at the size of the speakers. We had our house prewired, and I am not sure how we could handle this.

Anonymous
I guess I am going to buy this system, too. Just wondering that does HT-S650 come with wall-mount bracket?

Anonymous
Wall mount or ceiling mount brackets are not provided for the speakers. They are hefty, but seem to be the best for the $$. Still looking for suggestions on mounting hardware--any help out there?? Is there anywhere on the web that provides info on this relative to size/weight of speakers? Also, info needed on related speaker cable plugs and connectors for in wall installation.

Anonymous
Are there keyhole slots or threaded inserts on the back of the surround speakers? If not, does B-Tech BT55 suitable for the surrounds? It could be found at crutchfield.com, $49.55/pair + S/H. Pretty expensive, though.

Anonymous
Sorry, BT7, not BT55.

Anonymous
Try btech-usa web site for speaker accessories

po
There are keyhole slots on the back of the surrounds but they are weak and not standard size. I removed the keyhole slot brackets and drilled two holes in the back of the surrounds and used the self tapping screws and mounting bracket that came with the speaker mounts I bought to secure them to the wall.

Most speaker mount packages will come with the hardware to mount the speaker in a number of ways. You'll probably have to drill some holes in the back of the speaker but that's no biggie as these are cheap speakers so its not painful to drill holes in 'em.

po
Those BT-7's seem perfect for the Onkyo surrounds as you won't have to bother drilling holes in the speakers. I wish I had found them first. I would get'em.

-po
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us