My TV has no S video

Username: Susieq

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a pioneer HTIB and the monster cable SV kit. I realized my tv or vcr doesn't have a s video input but my satelite receiver does. Can I use the s video or do I have to purchase something else. I'm so clueless and it's a Christmas gift that will be hooked up that day. PLEASE HELP. Thanks

Username: Project6

Post Number: 15
Hi Sue,
You don't have to use the S-video. Does your TV have any other type of Video Input? If it does you can always use the Composite Video output of the DVD player (it's color coded in yellow, usually right next to the red & white jacks in the back of the dvd player).
If it doesn't, your local radio shack should be able to help you out with some adapters and/or converters to help you hook it all up. Just let them know what you need and they should have all the items that you will need.
cheers

Username: Susieq

Post Number: 2
Thanks. Berny
I just checked my TV and it shows Right and Left variable audio output, and 3 aux input a video,right & left /mono. Lastly antenna/cable input. So with this setup I can go buy just a composite video? How would I set up the connection? THANK YOU AGAIN

Username: Project6

Post Number: 16
Sue,
If it came as a Home Theater-in-a-box, the kit should already be supplied with a composite video cable, cheap and flimsy as it may be (the cable, that is). These kits don't usually come with a supplied s-video cable, but things have changed.

From the DVD player, connect the composite "video out" to the "video in" of the TV. Then connect the red and white audio out of the DVD to the corresponding audio input of the TV. This set will enable you to hear audio from the DVD player into your TV speakers without having to turn on the receiver, not the optimum setup, but sometimes people don't want to turn on the whole home theater for stuff like when the kids are watching their movies, etc.

Your DVD player should also have an optical output (usually says optical output)and a digital coaxial (looks like a regular RCA jack but orange in color)output on the back. These will have a corresponding input in the back of the receiver of your home theater. Again these cables are usually not included, so check the box and packing list if they are.
You can use one or the other, it doesn't have to be both, so don't fret. As far as which is better, is a matter of preference and to some, which ever one is cheaper and is more readily available.
After you put it all together, the instruction manual will now come in handy. It will show you how to set-up the whole system and pioneer usually has an on-screen programming menu/set-up to finalize the assembly.

Hopefully, I wasn't too obscure, and that my instructions were comprehensive. Have fun!
cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us