Onkyo HT-S650 vs. HT-S490 or Best HTIB

Vlad
I'm looking for good quality HTIB without DVD player under $500.
I have Sony High Scan TV and Sampo Progressive Scan DVD and live in apartment, so size does matter. My main usage of DVD player is music videos.
I've read a lot about different systems and was looking into Onkyo HT-S650 but realized that speakers could be a little big for my living room.
So, I've switched to Onkyo HT-S490 but couldn't get enough info and recommendations about this system.
Should I consider it or better go with Yamaha YHT-300, or any other HTIB.
I'm open to suggestions.

po
To be honest, I wouldn't recommend any of those three for you. None of the systems you mention have a receiver with component video. They all only have S-video. Because you have an HDTV and a progressive scan DVD player, I would recommend you at least get a receiver that has component video otherwise you won't be able to switch the progressive scan video through your receiver.

Unfortunately, a receiver with component video will run you at least $500 which is your whole budget. I'll tell you what I would recommend. Either keep saving or stretch yourself to the $500 receiver (Onkyo TX-SR600 for instance) with component video and get a decent pair of L/R front speakers (Paradigm Titans for $220/pr). Then save up for the rest of the speakers over time. You'll end up with a better system and be happier overall. Or, get the $500 receiver and get a really cheap $150 set of KLH 5.1 speakers (from amazon) to get yourself started, then replace the speakers as you get the money.

With your TV and DVD player, you'll regret not getting a receiver with component video.

-po

Anonymous
FYI, just because an A/V surround sound receiver has video inputs does not mean that you need to use them. The main purpose of the video inputs on any A/V receiver is mainly for those that do not have enough A/V connections on their TV. If you have enough A/V connections on your TV I would recommend connecting your video connections directly to the TV, one less break point in the signal = better signal to the TV = better picture quality. Lets not forget that the main reason for the surround sound reciever is SURROUND SOUND and not video.

Muto
Absolutely agree. I've got a 51" HDTV with 2 component video connections (for my DVD and STB) and several S-video connections and I take everything direct to the TV, don't route any video through the receiver to preserve the video signal integrity. Using multiple remotes doesn't bother me at all like it does some people ...

Vivek
i use the hts490 sounds good to me and is the best pack around for that price

Anonymous
my friend had his pioneer setup with the component
video running through the receiver and everything was fine until one day the colour slightly got faded,it wasn't by much but to a keen eye you would know it was showing different,so what he did was to run it direct and voila everything was
fine.verdict,let the receiver handle the sound and the player handle the video.however,if your tv can only accomodate one set of component video inputs and you have multiple components then go for it but beware that there could be a slight bit of degrading in the signal.

Anonymous
Hi, I need some help with this. I just bough a Progressive Scan DVD player and have an HDTV (60XBR800). Why would my home theater need video INPUTS? What step does this save me? Couldn't I just have the audio outs from my TV and DVD go into the HITB? Why would I need one with component video IN? Thanks in advance. Bill

I went to Circuit City and they had the Onkyo LSV950 open box for 599... any expert advice about this system? I think it might have the component video connection

dan
Speakers, speakers, speakers. Put your money in the speakers if you want great sound. Most HTIB have poor speakers, so listen very good before you buy them. There are some great bargins on Ebay for used speakers. If you want a guarantee of great sound, check out Definitive Technology speakers. There bottom of the line products will blow away any HTIB speakers.....Stay away from any speaker that has a thin cabinet. If it is thin plastic, that bends, you will get awfull sound. The speaker cones will pick up unwanted sounds from cheap cabinets. Look for solid thick ones....I hooked up 5K in speakers to a cheap $250 receiver and was blown away with the sound.
I only started HT about 1 year ago and everything but my speakers are already obsolete with better models. My speakers have been out for 5 years and they still have the exact same models.

Check-out the following items:

Kenwood VR-6070 THX Select Receiver

JBL SCS-150 speaker system

look at this thread:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/624.html

po
I don't know what I was smoking when I wrote that. Duh, don't worry about component vid inputs to the rcvr. Just wire it straight to your TV.

Gosh, I can be a real idiot sometimes.
po
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us