Is 16 gauge wire enough?

I have 12 gauge Monster XP speaker wire up front and center, is it okay to run 16 gauge for the rears, or should I match them all around?

Anonymous
It all depends on the length of the wire, the type of speakers and the power driving them. The more length, the more resistence, the more power, the more resistance at higher volumns. If you have a lower end system (under 50w a channel), and the speakers are fairly close, you should be fine. If your pushing more power than that, or it a fairly long distance, go up a gauge. If it's a really nice system, and you're a sound freak, you might want to sell the car, because skies the limit (better the cable, better the sound).

Anonymous
For long runs/short runs, you can go 14 gauge and still be good, even out to 50 ft. Try www.partsexpress.com. They have bulk 10-16 gauge wires that are very good deals, SoundKing cables i think.

I wouldn't go too much on cables/wires even if I own a Krell, etc. Unless I am about to inherit a couple of millions and then I would get it just to satisfy my 'paranoia' .

My 2 cents.

Username: Iceberg

Post Number: 6
What kind of surround speakers do you have? Also the lenght matters to. How many feet of wire do you need? Anything more than 30' I would go 14 gauge.

Username: Dulyebr

Post Number: 2
From Dules:

I have the Infinity Entra Point 5 satellites paired to my Harman Kardon AVR430. The right surround is only a 12', but the left surround is 35' since I have to go up and over a door sill.

I have 100' of monster xp super flat mini 16 gauge on order please advise so I can send it back if I'm making a fatal home theater error.

Username: Heff

Post Number: 30
Dules - Anon is right on.

Brett,
Some audiofiles will suggest keeping cable lengths for surrounds the same, but you should be ok as long as you calibrate your AVR-430 for the different distance and channel output. (use EZ-set or a separate SPL meter)

The wire you've selected is high quality and easy to hide b/c it's flat.

btw, I'm using OFC 12 Gauge for a 7.1 system b/c it's very affordable at Parts Express.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us