Why connect DVD or other video sources to A/V receiver?

Username: Cliffnale

Post Number: 2
Speaking of setup questions, I'm running component cables from my DVD directly to the TV and the audio to the A/V receiver. Is there any advantage/disadvantage of the video going through the A/V receiver and then to the TV?

Username: Hokievt

Post Number: 6
I see no reason to do it. It's just another set of cables to buy.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1187
connecting the video to the receiver affords convenience of switching only one equipment.

Username: Os2dude

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 6
If all you have is a single zone receiver, your TV can accept all the connectors you have and the sources are close to the TV then there is no reason.

If you don't have enough inputs on your TV; they are the wrong type for your components and your receiver can dn/up-convert the signal; you have a multi-zone video receiver and want to watch different/same sources in each zone; your sources are not close to the TV but are close to the receiver (I.E. central closet/multi-zone); then you would want to go through the receiver first and hook the TV up to the receiver's MONITOR output(s). (You would need an IR repeater in some of the above senerios.)

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 585
The above poster is right on the money. Sometimes you don't have a choice if you want to use the receivers on screen set-up system. A good receiver will not denigrate the signal anyway so it's really a matter of what works with your particular equipment.

Post Number: 3
Great in put from all, that is what I suspected, but it's great to hear from others. Thanks!

Average Joe
Unregistered guest
with regard to only having to switch one piece of equipment if you go through the receiver is not correct. Your TV will probably have an antenna-in (from cable or outdoor antenna) and a component-in (from the receiver). So not only do you have to switch the receiver from tuner, dvd, vcr, etc., but you also have to switch the TV from antenna-in to component-in.

wynn
Unregistered guest
Is there any different in picture quality on TV from the following connections:

1) Connect the dvd player to the receiver using composite cable and then connect to TV from av receiver using component cable

2) Connect the dvd player to the receiver using component cable and then connect to TV from av receiver using another component cable

3) Connect the TV from dvd player directly using component cable

4) Connect the TV from dvd player directly using composite cable

Method 1 and 2 use the av receiver video section and 3 and 4 only use the dvd player video section.

Which of the video sections is better? AV receiver or dvd player?

Someone told me that AV receiver is only good for sound quality not for picture quality. Is it correct?

Post Number: 4
See Chris Wolcott's posting; It depends on source locations and number of inputs your tv allows.

johnm
Unregistered guest
Wynn-

Scenario 1) Bad way to go. Composite signal is poor compared to component. Once the signal has left your receiver as composite you cant turn it back into the high quality component signal.

Scenario 2) Should give you a great signal however you now have to buy 2 component cables and you chance a signal degradation as it passes through your receiver depending on it's quality.

Scenario 3) The best way to go. Component gives the best picture and it's a direct link to the TV.

Scenario 4) It's a composite signal. Much inferior to the component. Why use it if you can use component?

A direct video feed from DVD player to monitor is always preferable. However, it may not be as convenient as Wolcott stated.

wynn
Unregistered guest
Thanks all of you for the responses especially Johnm for his detail explanation.

I have 25" TV and hooked up the TV with components cable from dvd player directly but I didn't see any different in the picture quality between using components and composite cables.
Does it depend on the TV size and cable quality?

Username: Mojitojota

MadridSpain

Post Number: 1
Connection dvd-tv dilema: My dvd has scart & s-video output. My tv has scart & component video & s-video (in the front of tv). What is the better way of connecting since i do not have component video outoput in DVD?. Is it too bad to connect dvd svideo to scart tv? The problem is that is a pain to have the s-video conenction int he front of the tv and have to connect everytime you watch a movie.

Many thanks

MadridSpain

Post Number: 2
Connection dvd-tv dilema 2: i forgot another option wich would be connecting the dvd to receiver with s-video and then the receiver to TV with component video, then the receiver (marantz 5400) would have to make the conversion. Is that ok?

Username: Am_beauty

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to setup my new tv to my dvd/vcr and HT. The tv has S-video, RCA in and out and has the component connections. My dvd/vcr has on one side: dvd & vcr (only RCA plugs); other side has just dvd (component and S-video) and also it has digital coaxial audio and fiber optic digital audio. my stereo receiver has the coaxial and optic digital and places for just the dvd (out), video2 (out), and two video1(in & out) and a single monitor (out).

1. do I need all these hooked up at same time? (ex sound: RCA, Digital coaxial & optic digital audio)(ex video: RCA, S-video & component)I get conflicting messages that they do the same thing but one is better than the other. true?

2. no matter what setup i try i still have the same problem: stereo sound thru tv but not dvd or vise versa. i'll set the audio out from tv into stereo In, i'll get sound, nothing through dvd. Same happens when i change the audio out from dvd to stereo; get sound, but when i turn dvd off, nothing thru the tv.

3. With the stereo hooked up, I need to be able to control the sound through the tv's volume. Same when the dvd is on. (ex problem: tv is turned all the way down, but sound is still coming from stereo. Or vcr player is on, tv is off, but sound is coming through the stereo). I had the tv/stereo hooked up right with the old tv, but now i can't get it. I was never able to control the sound thru the tv while a dvd is playing. (vcr yes, dvd no. i had to change the setting on my stereo to dvd and turn the volume of the tv down and control the sound thru the stereo only. there must be a way around all that.)

This is all very complicated!!!!!!
Please email me (am_beauty2001@yahoo.com)

MadridSpain

Post Number: 9
DVD to TV: use component, is the system that process the original signal in a better way. So better quality.
DVD to Amplifier: use either the coaxial or optical digital. Not much difference there.

If you want to know more about it check the links below. The second link is the best explanation about video signals i have found so far....Hope it works

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/VideoConnectors/VideoConnectors.asp

www.js-technology.com/technical/videosignals.pdf

Unregistered guest
I need some help. I thought I was getting the right cable to set up our projector to our scaler. I bought a component cable, YCbCr, and plugged that in to the projector and then into my scaler, but my scaler doesn't have a component out, just a video/audio out to tv. Is there anything that I can do with the existing cable or do I need to purchase a RCA video/audio cable?

Thanks for any advice.

Bill_in_SoCal
Unregistered guest
Greg,
What kind of scaler do you have that only has regular audio/video outputs?

Second question, did you used to work in Fremont for Larry?

Bronze Member
Username: Ffeurtado

Post Number: 18
LOL; ok, now I'm confused!

I was planning to setup my HT system as follows and don't know if I'll be going at it correctly.

Equipment:
• RCA 61" DLP TV
• HDTV ready cable box
• Sony progressive scan DVD Player

• Harman Kardon AVR 230 A/V Receiver

Plan:
1. DVD to HK Receiver using Component Cable
2. HDTV ready cable box to HK Receiver using Component Cable
3. HK Receiver to RCA TV using Component Cable

Here's the plan straight from HK (See page 4): http://manuals.harman.com/HK/QuickStart%20Guide/AVR%20230%20QSG%20FINAL.pdf

Berny,
If you're out there I can sure use your input. I had assumed that I would only need one video input on the TV to connect my receiver to which would control my cable box and DVD player. Am I going in the wrong direction?

Frank

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1515
Frank,
you are on the right track (some don't even read the manuals:-)).
Some folks go directly from DVD to TV input, but going into the receiver makes it more convenient. The component cables going from the receiver to the TV should be the only one you'll need, because all your video sources are going into the receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Ffeurtado

Post Number: 19
Cheers Berny,

I was hoping you'd be able to get back with me tonight as I have all my equipment here at my house and didn't want to start without your blessing regarding that question.

I sure hope you and your family are all making out fine with regards to Ivan the Terrible. I was in Mobile on Wednesday and Thursday surveying a ship at Atlantic Marine. During my trip to Mobile and Back I noticed a lot of things. Billboards destroyed, the Oyster House's first floor was closed due to water damage and many other things. However, Hero's was still open on Dolphin Street and I've got to tell you I was pleased about that, LOL.

All the best,
Frank
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us