Onkyo 770 and PCM... Help!

Username: Noob

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased the Onkyo HTS770 and, as of yet, I'm extremely impressed and satisfied.

Now here comes the (presumably) newbie question/dilemma:

Unfortunately, I'm currently using my Xbox for my DVD player (don't ask) but the Xbox boasts Dolby Digital in both games and movies. Ok, now, in the "Source/listening mode indicators" section of the receiver, it indicates that PCM is in use. After hitting "Display" a message reading "PCM fs 48 khz" appears. After reading the manual, several times, it seems to me that the receiver should be detecting (automatically) what type of audio is being used... or... that is to say... how the DVD is encoded? I don't know. Additionally, according to the manual when I hit "Display" a menu including the signal format or sampling frequency such as "Dolby Digital 3/2.1 or 3/3.1" should pop up. Instead I get the "PCM fs 48 khz" message. I assume the 48 khz is the sampling frequency and I understand that the receiver is recognizing the format as PCM, but why? If the DVDs and games use Dolby Digital technology, why am I not getting the "Dolby D" signal format? Furthermore, why is the sampling frequency 48 instead of 96? I am using an optical hookup from the Xbox High Definition kit to the receiver... I'm entirely lost.

Oh, also, if the receiver is detecting the signal format in PCM, is it truly surround sound? That is to say, is PCM capable of creating surround sound? That really didn't clear anything up... sigh.

I apologize for the remedial nature of the question(s), I'm just not sure where else to turn. I appreciate your time and thank you in advance for your help (whomever 'you' may be).

Please feel free to Email me.

Unregistered guest
Start up your Xbox without any media loaded and go to it's audio settings menu. You have to turn on the Dolby Digital from there. Same goes for the PS2.

Unregistered guest
I'm having the same issue with my Onkyo 770. I have it connected via an optical cable to my Sony DVD player and it shows the "PCM fs 48 khz" input type. I've checked and my DVD player is set up correctly and sending out Dolby 5.1 audio as configured by the DVD I'm playing. Any other ideas? Thanks! - Feel free to email me a response...

lazarus2297
Unregistered guest
i have the onkyo 770 also and have my xbox and dvd both playing the correct sound (on a side note the sound is awesome!!) but i had to make sure that i was using the correct xbox AV kit which you said you are then by changing the xbox setup to output Dolby digital and dts the sound is much better and the reciever shows "dolby" when i hit the display button.

for the DVD player if you are using the optical in on the reciever and the DVD player is set to output dolby digital then make sure you have the right optical input set to the dvd player by default the digital coax is set for the dvd player. I am using the digital coax for my dvd player and the optical for my xbox.

Unregistered guest
sorry you can email me and i will try to help the best i can

Unregistered guest
I can't get this to work on my system. I have an LG DVD player and a component/optical output for my xbox. The DVD player has an optical in but when I select the AV OPt port I get no sound. I have changed the settings on the xbox console to D Digital etc and have also tried it round a friends house thorugh an amplifier and it worked there. The trouble is I can't find out what the frequency is for the xbox optical out and my AV pack does not state this either.

Any help out there?

Username: Gbclemson

Post Number: 1
I am glad about one thing. OTHERS are having the same problem as me. I have the same problem with my Onkyo TX-SR502. It says that it decodes dolby digital but when using a PS2 or my PC with an optical out i just can NOT seem to pick up the dolby digital signal.Man, if anyone has a solution i would LOVE to hear it. I will call onkyo this week to see if they can help.

Unregistered guest
Is anyone having problems that are NOT related to an xbox or ps2? I do not have either of those set up on my system and am still getting the "PCM fs 48 khz" message.

Unregistered guest
Is anyone having problems that are NOT related to an xbox or ps2? I do not have either of those set up on my system and am still getting the "PCM fs 48 khz" message. This is on an Onkyo 676 model

Username: Steveo4529

Post Number: 4
does anyone have a solution yet? I am also having this problem but with my DVD player and not a video game system.

Username: Ketchupaholic

Post Number: 6
I figured it out on mine, and what a difference.
You need to make the change with your DVD player. Get to your setup screen so you can see it on your TV, and make the change to your Audio there. Or it should be in your owners manual. Man.... I feel stupid, how easy.

Usman_Denver
Unregistered guest
Mark is right...somewhat. What it comes down to is which DVD player you have and which DVD you are playing. Most DVDs have more than one audio channel on them. In that case, you will have to go to the audio setup menu of the DVD and choose whether you want it to send DTS, THX, or Dolby, depending on the choices of course. Unless you do that, your player will be clueless as to exactly what it is you want to hear.

And that's where the player comes in. My player (Pioneer 578A) can switch automatically between Dolby or DTS output as long as that's the signal YOU have selected from your DVD's menu. Hope that helps!

Lasvegasguy
Unregistered guest
Thanks, everyone for all your advice. I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR602 and I was having the same problem with PCM audio coming out of my DVD player and the Onkyo not recognizing any Dolby Digital. It was a Sony DVD player, but I don't think it really matter what brand. Well, like some of you suggested, I messed with the dvd player's settings. I changed its output from PCM to Dolby Digital and my Onkyo immediately recognized the Dolby Digital stream immediately. Thanks a lot, guys.

Username: Fefe

Cardiff, Uk United Kingdom

Post Number: 2
my onkyo TX-SR500E is wired to my sblive thru a spdif coax lead, and picks up PCM on the reciever, and i want to know why i cant change it or anythin to dolby digital, does anybody know how to any help will be appreciated

Ollie
Unregistered guest
I've been having the same problem, my reciever was doing PCM, I had to go to my DVD menu and change the output from PCM to Bitstream.. I also didn't have DTS turned on. Now everything's cool... thanks guys

Username: Fefe

Cardiff, Uk United Kingdom

Post Number: 3
how did you change it
i dont really have much idea about the option menu, seen as i havnt been able to find it yet on my onkyo TX-SR500E
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us