BANANA PLUGS????

hi, i have recently just finished completing my home theatre system consisting of a yamaha htr-5460, paradigm phantom fronts, cc-170 center, adp 170 rears and a pdr-8 sub. now i am thinking of getting monster gold plated banana plugs but for all speakers it will come close to 200 dollars CDN. i was just wondering if the banana plugs would make that much of a difference in my system as opposed to my 'ol bare wire. thanks for any opinions.

kris

bananas are more convenient to switch around, provide a cosistant connection and look cool, but they will not improve a good contact wired connection.

Jerry
If you solder the wire into the banana connection, then the anodized metal on the banana plug won't rust/corrode, but you could solder the wire tips and get the same effect. Also, if the wires could potentially be pulled out of the speakers while the amp is on, the bananas won't touch each other provided their in the plastic pair housing. But other than that, it's just convenience.

You can also get some good banana plugs on ebay for MUCH less than that. I just bought some banana plugs, along with Monster cable wire, on ebay on Friday and it arrived at my house on Monday. The link to this person's auction is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32838&item=3062961019. They seem to be a very good quality product and won't set you back an arm and a leg, and I doubt you'd notice any difference from the Monster product.

Username: W9cw

Post Number: 3
You can also use Pomona banana plug for this application, and they cost around $2.99 each from Mouser Electronics in Texas - and made in the USA! The Monster Gold-Plated banana plugs are the typical hi-fi industry "snake oil" rip off product. There is no measurable difference in DC resistance from a standard banana plug and the super-expensive ones. Remember, power loss is a function of Ohms Law. P=I(squared)R You would have to have an enormous amount of current flowing through your speaker outputs to generate any power loss through the differential in resistance in banana plugs. The hi-fi industry has always been filled with "snake oil" salesmen - and always will be.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us