Help hooking up components

staul1
I have a Mitsubishi 50" HD upgradeable tv (Model VS-50111), a Toshiba DVD (Model SD/2800),an Aiwa Stereo (Model CX-ZHT63) with 5 surround sound speakers and a sub and an older model vcr. I am needing to know the best way to hook these pieces together for optimal video and audio. I want to be able to have surround sound through the tv,dvd player and vcr. I am not as much worried about the vcr but I would like to have the vcr audio coming out of my stereo when watching a vhs tape. Another question, is the component video that much better than just using an S cable for the dvd video feed? Also, the dvd player has an optical surround sound plug on the back and my stereo has an optical digital plug on it also but the stereo plug is an optical digital out. Please help with how to set all of this up.

staul1
I am not getting any response so let me ask more specific questions:

1. My Aiwa Receiver has (6) 5.1 channel input jacks, a l/r analog video/aux input jack, and a cd digital out (optical) out jack. My dvd player has analog, coaxial and optical out jacks. My tv has analog jacks. What is the best way to hook all this up to where I have optimal audio out of dvd and tv?

2. I am trying to decide between component and s-video for hooking my dvd to my tv. Is there that significant of a difference between svideo and component?

3. When I get ready to hook all of this up, what are the best cables to use and is there a significant difference between cables? I am willing to spend a reasonable amount but not go overboard on cables.

Cota
1. If your receiver only has 5.1 ch input, one analog aux input, and a digital optical out then I don't think you can set up what you would like, the TV or the DVD would have to go into the analog aux input of the receiver but not both, sounds like you need to upgrade your receiver to one with several inputs for digital and analog signals then you could link your TV to Rec with analog inputs, your DVD to Rec with digital audio input (either optical or coax) and your VCR to Rec with analog inputs.

2. Use component if you can, depending on your TV you may not be able to tell much difference now but it does make a difference if not with the equipment you have now, it probably will later.

3. I don't think you need the most expensive cables out there. I went to www.accessories4less.com to buy mine and got acousitc research audio and video cables at a pretty good price.

Unregistered guest
I have a xbox with a high definition pack hooked up to it,i hooked my digital optical cable up to the high definition pack , then ran it to my stereo ,but no sound comes out of my stereo.i dunno what to do my stereo has a md video button,and a dvd 5,1 channel button please help alot of money was spent.

Username: Project6

Post Number: 50
you have to configure the x-box to send out the digital signal.
here's a diagram
x-box m(digital out)----> receiver (digital in), now set up the receiver to receive digital signals automatically. check the manual on how to do this. good luck
cheers

wulfgar
Unregistered guest
I have a home entertainment system and I am planning on buying a new computer. I want to connect my 5.1 home theater speakers to my computer in the future. Is this possible?

Post Number: 55
yes, it is possible...just make sure that the computer is focused on multi media and that it has the proper cards
cheers

Anonymous

When hooking up the audio out of a Direct TV receiver using RCA cables to a stereo receiver with one auxillary input, are there any menu settings from the Direct TV receiver that need set before sound can be output through the stereo receiver? If no menu settings are needed, then do you think there is a compatibility issue between the 2 components?
Thanks for your time

Post Number: 98
anonymous,
sorry, please post this on a new thread as I have not gone the Direct TV route as of yet.
However, if I do get direct TV, I would be asking the technician or consult the manual for any set ups regarding direct tv and home theater.
If there is only one audio cable going out of the direct tv receiver, it's probably a digital signal for a surround sound output and it needs to be set to send signals out to the stereo receiver (given that the receiver can accept digital signals and can decode a surround sound format)
cheers

mary carlson
Unregistered guest
I need help in setting up my home theater to my tv and dvd player. I have my dvd player hook to my tv with component cables. The blue green and red cables. The dvd player is connected to the receiver with a digital audio cable. Do I need to run a audio cable from the tv to the receiver?

Post Number: 101
not necessary unless you want to listen to your tv by using the receiver
cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us