Whats Better? Sony htddw740 or the kenwood htb205

jthornton
Both of these systems are at Circuit city for nearly $300. I am mainly interested in sound quality and features. Do the kenwood and sony both have powered subwoofers?

Anonymous
The kenwood does not have a powered subwoofer. It is passive.

Anonymous
From what I've read, the Kenwood is a bit deceiving (but in a good way). Even though the sub is passive, there is an amp in the receiver that is dedicated to powering the sub. I snagged one of these systems at a Fry's grand opening for $199, and it works great for me. If there is a weakness in the system it is not the sub, but rather the satellites, which are a bit weak. The sound is pretty nice though, and works fine for my apartment. Someone with a larger house may need something a bit more expensive lke the HTB-505.

Anonymous
I just purchased the Sony HTDDW740. Boscovs has it for $279. It does have a powered sub. Consumer reports rates this as a best buy and I read many other reviews that claim it is a great value for the dollar. I have a satelite receiver with a coax running to this system. I don't have a surround TV so I need to get a surround VCR to decode the signal to feed the Sony. So I haven't tested the Suround system. But, I cranked up a radio station and was pleased with the sound. I put this system in my master bedroom and know for the money it was a great deal.
The other thing is that Sony has a much better reputation then Kenwood.

Anonymous
yeah right you fuk nut sony has the worst rep in home audio possible

Anonymous
lern to spill and use cAPITALS....

Anonymous
I think kenwood sounds better, but at this price point, it's hard to expect good quality in sound. Ecost.com has DVT5070 kenwood-Boston acoustics speaker that sounds better than either for $339 refurb. If you can stretch a bit more, get Kenwood VR6060 receiver at Ecost.com - sounds a lot better. Match it with Sony DVD player (Dvp ns500v on ebay) and Fluance speakers from ebay ($250), and you will get noticeably better quality for under $500.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us